print server: page accounting wanted

Post by Ruper » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 08:28:49

I'm currently using a 25MHz 486 with 8mb ram as a print server, for an
HP LaserJet 6L. It's running Samba/CUPS on Debian Woody, and it works
fairly well: printing is possible from Mac OSX and another Debian box
via ipp, and from Win2k with Samba. However, since it's such a slow
beast, all the machines are set up to send raw data (PCL I think) to the
server rather than sending Postscript and letting the print server
convert into PCL with ghostscript.

This means that I can do no page accounting: the /var/cups/page_log file
  shows that CUPS thinks that every job is one page long. Is there any
package that give me accurate page accounting? Essentially I think I
want to get the print server to dissect the PCL to figure out how many
pages are being printed. An alternative approach would be to query the
printer to see how many pages are being printed.

I'm happy to ditch CUPS if that would help...

TIA,
Rupert

--
Real email address:
rupert underscore levene at yahoo dot co dot uk

Post by dav.. » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 15:57:37

> Is there any package that give me accurate page accounting?

The printer does. If the printer is equipped with a network card she
could tell you every single job from which ip address come, how many
pages and so on.

See the documentation of your printer.

AFAIK, next versions of HP color printer will also be able to tell you
how much toner/ink for every single print.

Davide

Post by Ruper » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 20:16:58

>>Is there any package that give me accurate page accounting?

> The printer does. If the printer is equipped with a network card she
> could tell you every single job from which ip address come, how many
> pages and so on.

Thanks for that hint... unfortunately the printer is a fairly old HP
LaserJet6, and has no network card. That's why I need a print server to
hook it up to the network.

Quote:

> See the documentation of your printer.

It's a second-hand HPLJ6 at that, so I have no paper docs anyway. The
closest thing I can find to what you describe is npadmin, but this seems
to require that the printer itself is networked. My printer is just
attached to the parallel port of the print server. Can I query the
printer through the parallel port?

If this isn't possible, I'd still welcome suggestions for how to dissect
the PCL that arrives at the print server to find out how many pages will
be printed.

Rupert
--

Post by dav.. » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 20:54:24

> to require that the printer itself is networked. My printer is just
> attached to the parallel port of the print server. Can I query the
> printer through the parallel port?

No, but then you can just run accounting on your printer server and
see who is sending the packets to the printer...

BTW, in the last job I (and a collegue of mine) developed a java
application that does exactly that. Now (AFAIK) the project have been
killed, but I still have the sources... maybe you can have a look at
it and put on your own system.

If you want to go this way, send me a mail (davideATicat1.knoware.nl)

Davide

1. Stylus Pro XL+ prints an empty page after every printed page

I have this strange problem with Epson Stylus Pro XL+ and CUPS:
whenever I print a page, the printer prints the page correctly, and
then prints an almost empty page with only the last line of the
If I print a multiple page document the printer just print such an empty
page after every page correctly printed.
I've already tried changing setting, margins, page dimensions, etc.
I have this problem since I updated the CUPS of Mandrake 9.1 to
the last version with MandrakeUpdate. It was a security update so I
couldn't avoid it.
Thanks for any help.
Ivan

2. What's the best way to update?

3. WANTED: Web page accounting software?

4. Annoying error in syslog

5. Q: Blank page when printing with Samba from NT 4.0 to Linux print server

6. Hard Drive Limitations

7. printing pages account in a remote printer

8. ELF - slow ?

9. Automated accounting of pages printed to PostScript printers

10. print pages accounting

11. printing pages account in a remote printer

12. Printing man pages.. Suggestions wanted

13. Wanted: lp filter for restarting print at page ..