Anyone know of military programs using Linux?

Anyone know of military programs using Linux?

Post by Kevin Mille » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Pretty sure NASA uses it  to some extent... As a matter of fact, they
participated in the development of Extreme Linux along with Red Hat
Software.

Post by Gleeps Mai » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello All,
Does anyone know of any US Military programs that are using Linux?  Please let me know if you do...and if there is any publicly available literature or web material referring to it I'd appreciate it if you could point me to it.  I need some reference materials...

Thank you!!

Gleep

Anyone know of military programs using Linux?

Post by Marlo » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I have to ask...Why?

McM
------------------------------------
Marlow

-----------------------------------

Post by Jim Rane » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Pretty sure NASA uses it  to some extent... As a matter of fact, they
> participated in the development of Extreme Linux along with Red Hat
> Software.

Actually, NASA invented it and showed it off to the world.  They
originally named it Beowulf.  Other academics saw the computing at a low
price potential. RedHat merely recognized some profit potential and
started marketing it (remeber, GPL means you can slap it onto disk and
sell the hell out of it, even if you didn't invent it.)  I have
fantasies of buying up 50+ 486s at dirt cheap prices and making my own
supercluster...  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

(Dear God, I'm a geek, someone please help me... :)

--
Jim Raney
"Mad" Seumas MacDonnell in the SCA

The spool leads to "/dev/null"...
Otherwise mail seumas at above domain.

http://www.beowulf.org/

also check nasa at www.nasa.gov

they developed a parallel computing project called beowulf - might find some
info there.  Hope it helps.

>Pretty sure NASA uses it  to some extent... As a matter of fact, they
>participated in the development of Extreme Linux along with Red Hat
>Software.

>> Hello All,
>> Does anyone know of any US Military programs that are using Linux?

Please let me know if you do...and if there is any publicly available
literature or web material referring to it I'd appreciate it if you could
point me to it.  I need some reference materials...

>> Thank you!!

>> Gleep

Anyone know of military programs using Linux?

Post by Roland Latou » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I missed the original post on this. Linux Journal, December 1997, pg.68:
Linux Means Business column, subtitled Linux in Camouflage, describes
MCS/P (Maneuver Control System) written for Suns & ported to Linux, to
use cryptic email messages to transfer battlefield coordination info
to field commanders. Looks pretty slick to me.
--
  Roland Latour  Slackware3.4 & PPP     http://home.cdsnet.net/~rolandl
      Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Post by Ed Finc » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> > Pretty sure NASA uses it  to some extent... As a matter of fact, they
> > participated in the development of Extreme Linux along with Red Hat
> > Software.
> Actually, NASA invented it and showed it off to the world.  They
> originally named it Beowulf.  Other academics saw the computing at a low
> price potential.

Yup. Take a look at the Avalon cluster, ranked 113th on
http://www.top500.org

Regards,
Ed
--
   Q: Why do PCs have a reset button on the front?
   A: Because they are expected to run Microsoft operating systems.

Anyone know of military programs using Linux?

Post by Gleeps Mai » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Well, I am looking at a project for the Govt./Military...could be a VERY large program, and am
interested in looking at alternatives to MS in terms of performance and cost.  I am a Linux fan,
but, to get the leaders in charge to evaluate Linux as a viable alternative, I need to get some
references as to its use in critical mission type of support.  If I can show that the US govt. and
especially the military is using Linux, this argument becomes easier.  This program has the potential
to become the largest in US history, and I am interested in getting the right tools used....

Hope this answers your questions.

You Wrote:

I have to ask...Why?

McM
------------------------------------
Marlow

-----------------------------------

>Hello All,
>Does anyone know of any US Military programs that are using Linux?  Please

let me know if you do...and if there is any publicly available literature or
web material referring to it I'd appreciate it if you could point me to it.
I need some reference materials...

>Thank you!!

>Gleep

Anyone know of military programs using Linux?

Post by Dev_A » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I know that US postal services is using Linux as Web servers, database servers.
Also, US navy, US army and US air force are using the Linux.
US Army used Linux for Bosnia operations!!

> Well, I am looking at a project for the Govt./Military...could be a VERY large program, and am
> interested in looking at alternatives to MS in terms of performance and cost.  I am a Linux fan,
> but, to get the leaders in charge to evaluate Linux as a viable alternative, I need to get some
> references as to its use in critical mission type of support.  If I can show that the US govt. and
> especially the military is using Linux, this argument becomes easier.  This program has the potential
> to become the largest in US history, and I am interested in getting the right tools used....

> Hope this answers your questions.

> You Wrote:

> I have to ask...Why?

> McM
> ------------------------------------
> Marlow

> -----------------------------------

> >Hello All,
> >Does anyone know of any US Military programs that are using Linux?  Please
> let me know if you do...and if there is any publicly available literature or
> web material referring to it I'd appreciate it if you could point me to it.
> I need some reference materials...

> >Thank you!!

> >Gleep

Anyone know of military programs using Linux?

Post by Philip Bro » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Well, I am looking at a project for the Govt./Military...could be a VERY large program, and am
>interested in looking at alternatives to MS in terms of performance and cost.  I am a Linux fan,
>but, to get the leaders in charge to evaluate Linux as a viable alternative,

remember to attack it from both sides.
One side is "Linux is a good alternative".
The other side is "MS is NOT an option!!"

For the second bit, just ask them how the wonderful NT-run stealth ship
is doing.
After they dig up the data on that, they should be begging you
"PLEASE give us something else!"

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

Post by Winter Lait » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> >Well, I am looking at a project for the Govt./Military...could be a VERY large program, and am
> >interested in looking at alternatives to MS in terms of performance and cost.  I am a Linux fan,
> >but, to get the leaders in charge to evaluate Linux as a viable alternative,

> remember to attack it from both sides.
> One side is "Linux is a good alternative".
> The other side is "MS is NOT an option!!"

> For the second bit, just ask them how the wonderful NT-run stealth ship
> is doing.
> After they dig up the data on that, they should be begging you
> "PLEASE give us something else!"

> --
> [trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
>  --------------------------------------------------
> "initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

Especially if it's for something involving aviation, just remind them:
Linux almost never crashes!

wl

Post by James Da » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>> >Well, I am looking at a project for the Govt./Military...could be a VERY large program, and am
>> >interested in looking at alternatives to MS in terms of performance and cost.  I am a Linux fan,
>> >but, to get the leaders in charge to evaluate Linux as a viable alternative,

>> remember to attack it from both sides.
>> One side is "Linux is a good alternative".
>> The other side is "MS is NOT an option!!"

>> For the second bit, just ask them how the wonderful NT-run stealth ship
>> is doing.
>> After they dig up the data on that, they should be begging you
>> "PLEASE give us something else!"

>> --
>> [trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
>>  --------------------------------------------------
>> "initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5
>Especially if it's for something involving aviation, just remind them:
>Linux almost never crashes!
>wl

Here in Australia they build frigates that run NT. At least one has crashed
it's system so badly they had to tow it back to port. Gives one confidence
for battle? Or a whole new meaning to blue screen of death?

Post by James Youngma » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Well, I am looking at a project for the Govt./Military...could be a
> VERY large program, and am interested in looking at alternatives to
> MS in terms of performance and cost.  I am a Linux fan, but, to get
> the leaders in charge to evaluate Linux as a viable alternative, I
> need to get some references as to its use in critical mission type
> of support.  If I can show that the US govt. and especially the
> military is using Linux, this argument becomes easier.  This program
> has the potential to become the largest in US history, and I am
> interested in getting the right tools used....

The USPS is using Linux to scan addresses of postal items in
real-time.   There was an article about this in the Linux Journal a
while back.  See www.ssc.com for the back-issue and tables of
contents.

--

Post by Julian T. J. Midgl » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Here in Australia they build frigates that run NT. At least one has crashed
>it's system so badly they had to tow it back to port. Gives one confidence
>for battle? Or a whole new meaning to blue screen of death?

In the Royal Navy, use of Microsoft products is very sensibly strictly
limited to desktop machines used for low priority tasks, and which are
in no way connected to the computerised command and control system.

I'm surprised that anyone thought it was even vaguely sensible to use
NT for mission-critical tasks.  Time for Dogbert to exorcise the
demons of stupidity once again ;-)
--

Trinity Hall, Cambridge |  Excession: http://excession.ucam.org
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple,

Anyone know of military programs using Linux?

Post by Thomas T. Veldhous » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I know that NASA sent up a debian system on a shuttle for use in scientific
testing.

>Well, I am looking at a project for the Govt./Military...could be a VERY

large program, and am
Quote:>interested in looking at alternatives to MS in terms of performance and

cost.  I am a Linux fan,
Quote:>but, to get the leaders in charge to evaluate Linux as a viable

alternative, I need to get some
Quote:>references as to its use in critical mission type of support.  If I can

show that the US govt. and
Quote:>especially the military is using Linux, this argument becomes easier.  This

program has the potential
Quote:>to become the largest in US history, and I am interested in getting the

right tools used....

>Hope this answers your questions.

>You Wrote:

>I have to ask...Why?

>McM
>------------------------------------
>Marlow

>-----------------------------------

>>Hello All,
>>Does anyone know of any US Military programs that are using Linux?  Please
>let me know if you do...and if there is any publicly available literature
or
>web material referring to it I'd appreciate it if you could point me to it.
>I need some reference materials...

>>Thank you!!

>>Gleep

1. Does anyone know how to debug multi-process programs using dbx?

I'm using dbx for solaris 2.5. I've trying dbx command "lwp" and "lwps"
but got the message "lwp(s) is not available".

Thanks in advance,

--
                        ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._
                         `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)

 "It takes both the sun and the rain to make a rainbow."

2. Posting with INN/UUCP

3. Anyone knows where i can get the Linux program?

4. PATCH problem - plz help

5. Anyone knows a ntp program for linux !

6. HA Clustering with RAC

7. RIVA128+X+Redhat=problem

8. Anyone knows ftp′s with linux programs?

9. Anyone know of and email paging program for FreeBSD?

10. anyone know how to eject and load the cdrom drive from within a c++ program????

11. Anyone know a backup program that can Append ???

12. Does anyone know of a good comm program besides minicom?