TRANS.TBL how?

Post by Simon Robert » Sun, 07 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> So I examined a copy of an older Redhat distribution (4.1
>biltmore - my first Linux installation which I enjoyed greatly) that I had
>used previously on my home PC and the only real difference seems to be a
file
>named TRANS.TBL which I gather, after searching the newsgroups this
morning,
>to be a filename translation table. Now, I also gather (from a posting in
>French) that I may be able to use makeisofs to create a TRANS.TBL. Is that
>the case? In which case, how? If not, what next? (apologies for my English)

You're certainly on the right track there. The problem is that the CD
filesystem (ISO9660 - it's just like any other filesystem, eg : fat16,
fat32, ntfs) doesn't support long filenames itself. There are several ways
of getting around this. The way Microsoft does it is called Joliet and is
probably the way your CD is cut. Linux can be compiled to read this
filesystem type, but it looks like your install system doesn't. (check out
the mtools package for lots of useful programs for dealing with DOSish
filesystems). You can find more information about Joliet under linux at
http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/joliet.html

Linux (and most other sensible operating systems :) use a system called Rock
Ridge.

All of this information is probably in the CDROM-HOWTO
(http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/CDROM-HOWTO.html) and the CD Writing HOWTO
(http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.htmll). You can also find
an amusing history of the two at
http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/cdnonsense.html

Anyway, I digress (and this reply is much longer than I intended :). To make
a Rock Ridge CD, you do indeed need to use mkisofs. I was going to write how
to do it here, but it's explained better in the HOWTO at
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.4

Hoping this was of some assistance,
Simon

TRANS.TBL how?

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi,

> have ftp'd the entire Redhat 5.2 i386 distribution (making proper use of the
> company LAN after hours!) and have burned the results onto a CD. The Redhat
> installation proggie doesn't like the CD, "this doesn't look like a Redhat
> CD", it said.

See:

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith/rhjol.html

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me

1. TRANS.TBL

Hi!

Does anybody know how linux can use the TRANS.TBL-File located on some
CD-ROMs?

It would be nice to use the translation of short -> long filenames.

-- Randolf
| Randolf Skerka                http://www.heim2.tu-clausthal.de/~randolf |

+-= Es ist ein grosses Fass, das geb' ich zu ... aber nicht ohne Boden =--+

2. Help ! how can I ....

3. su and TRANS.TBL questions

4. RH 7.1 setup problem

5. trans.tbl

6. See Summary! M-2 discussion only in comp.lang.modula2 THANKS.

7. Utilising trans.tbl file?

8. WP60

9. trans.tbl

10. need table (tbl) help

11. source for nroff, tbl, eqn

12. Looking for tbl, eqn and nroff binaries

13. Anything better than tbl and troff?