comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup

comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup

Post by batr » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 00:43:23

I am looking for a graphics/video  card
whose strenght lies in DISPLAYING TEXT
not neccesarily in running games the likes of doom,quake,et al .

My requirement per se is better display of text
and not running games .
Is it possible firstly to substantially improve the display of text
by using a better Graphics Card
I currently use and Intel 810i chipset with RH7.2(tHE sole OS on my PC)
Yes I do use a resolution in excess of 1024x800

The dvi files have a tremendous clarity in text display
while others leave a lot to be desired
Any recommendations

Post by Christopher Brown » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 02:07:34

>> I am looking for a graphics/video  card
>> whose strenght lies in DISPLAYING TEXT
>> not neccesarily in running games the likes of doom,quake,et al .

>> My requirement per se is better display of text
>> and not running games .
>> Is it possible firstly to substantially improve the display of text
>> by using a better Graphics Card
>> I currently use and Intel 810i chipset with RH7.2(tHE sole OS on my PC)
>> Yes I do use a resolution in excess of 1024x800

>> The dvi files have a tremendous clarity in text display
>> while others leave a lot to be desired
>> Any recommendations

> Heard of Google? Just do a search and look at the 2d specs of the cards
> you find. That'll tell you all you need to know. Pay attention to cards
> used on Publishing workstations or SGI products.

I've heard reports that Matrox cards supposedly put out _somewhat_
better signals than NVidia and ATI based cards.

I'm not sure how much credence to put into this.

I would think the bigger issue to be that of what sort of monitor
you're using, and the quality of interfacing between graphics card and
monitor.

How the graphics card works or has been implemented _might_ have an
impact on the quality of such interfacing, although I suspect this may
be rather like the differences in the audio stereo world attributed
to:
  a) Using vacuum tubes rather than transistors, or
  b) Using turntables rather than CDs.

In short: Someone might, with suitable instrumentation, notice a
difference, but the vast majority of us haven't the need to be picky
enough to care.

It seems likely to me that spending $250 on a better monitor and
fiddling with its controls is likely to be a more effective strategy
than buying a new graphics card.
--

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/spreadsheets.html
I just removed the instructions in MC:COMMON;LINS > which specify that it

comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup

Post by Michael Heimin » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 05:26:30

2002 18:07:
[SNIP]

Quote:> It seems likely to me that spending $250 on a better monitor and
> fiddling with its controls is likely to be a more effective strategy
> than buying a new graphics card.

Agreed 100%, another thing ot try, installing better true type fonts,
it costs nothing and will enhance the text display running X
tremendous.

Michael Heiming
PS: Please, try to use a subject....
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

Post by batr » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 00:58:56

Quote:> > It seems likely to me that spending $250 on a better monitor and
> > fiddling with its controls is likely to be a more effective strategy
> > than buying a new graphics card.

I am running RH7.2 on Intel 810i chipset which has 4MB ram
I was wondering if a card like 32 MB could substantially improve the
performance ....like the one they have in 845i chipset
Well I have a 17" Flat Screen it was 400$ when I bought it
not so long ago ...

Well it does have a lots of control
Display Timing
Halftone
Color Temperature,
Video Input Level.
V-moire
and the refresh rate

Can u suggest which ones to pay with ..

Quote:

> Agreed 100%, another thing ot try, installing better true type fonts,
> it costs nothing and will enhance the text display running X
> tremendous.

Where can I download true fonts ..for RH7.2
Considering that is the latest version ..do u think that there are
better fonts than the defaults
Quote:> Michael Heiming
> PS: Please, try to use a subject....

comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup

Post by Michael Heimin » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 06:17:34

[NG deleted, don't exist (for me)]

January 2002 16:58:

[SNIP]

Quote:> Well it does have a lots of control
> Display Timing
> Halftone
> Color Temperature,
> Video Input Level.
> V-moire
> and the refresh rate

> Can u suggest which ones to pay with ..

Well, what about if you read the manual of your monitor and just play
around, until it looks good to you?

Quote:>> Agreed 100%, another thing to try, installing better true type
>> fonts, it costs nothing and will enhance the text display running X
>> tremendous.

> Where can I download true fonts ..for RH7.2
> Considering that is the latest version ..do u think that there are
> better fonts than the defaults

SuSE distros come with a script called 'fetchmsttfonts', to
download/install nice fonts, even if it needs to connect to M$...

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.