"Device is busy" msg from umount...

"Device is busy" msg from umount...

Post by Richard Mynic » Mon, 03 Jan 2000 04:00:00



Dear Linux users,

I've just installed Linux.  Mounted my floppy with:  mount /dev/fd0
/mnt/floppy.   Then I was able to read files on the floppy.  But when I
tried to unmount it with:  umount /dev/fd0  (or umount /mnt/floppy) I
got the message:  "Device is busy."  Looking up umount in the man pages
gives the impression that the problem here is that the files I read are
still "open."  But I see no instructions on how to close them (or how to
get a list of all files currently "open" in the system).
    How do you do these simple things?  What happens if you logout,
WITHOUT successfully umounting file systems or partitions that you've
mounted?
    Thanks for any help here -- RichM

 
 
 

"Device is busy" msg from umount...

Post by Dances With Crow » Mon, 03 Jan 2000 04:00:00



> Dear Linux users,

> I've just installed Linux.  Mounted my floppy with:  mount /dev/fd0
> /mnt/floppy.   Then I was able to read files on the floppy.  But when I
> tried to unmount it with:  umount /dev/fd0  (or umount /mnt/floppy) I
> got the message:  "Device is busy."  Looking up umount in the man pages
> gives the impression that the problem here is that the files I read are
> still "open."

Something to check:  Are you (or other users) still in the directory
/mnt/floppy or any directory below that?  If so, you can't umount the
floppy, as you're still in the floppy's directory and therefore still
using the filesystem.  cd to another directory, like /home/myhome, and
try it.  (I got burned by this many times...)

Quote:>  But I see no instructions on how to close them (or how to
> get a list of all files currently "open" in the system).

To get a list of all open files, use the lsof command.  I think it
should come as an optional package to install on most distros; if not,
it's on Freshmeat somewhere as an RPM and a tarball...

Quote:>  What happens if you logout,
> WITHOUT successfully umounting file systems or partitions that you've
> mounted?

They remain mounted until the user umounts them or root umounts them.
This is a feature. :-]

--MG

 
 
 

"Device is busy" msg from umount...

Post by John » Mon, 03 Jan 2000 04:00:00



> Dear Linux users,

> I've just installed Linux.  Mounted my floppy with:  mount /dev/fd0
> /mnt/floppy.   Then I was able to read files on the floppy.  But when I
> tried to unmount it with:  umount /dev/fd0  (or umount /mnt/floppy) I
> got the message:  "Device is busy."  Looking up umount in the man pages
> gives the impression that the problem here is that the files I read are
> still "open."  But I see no instructions on how to close them (or how to
> get a list of all files currently "open" in the system).
>     How do you do these simple things?  What happens if you logout,
> WITHOUT successfully umounting file systems or partitions that you've
> mounted?
>     Thanks for any help here -- RichM

You might still be in the /mnt/floppy directory.  Try this:
cd ~

If you are doing this from X windows, you might have /mnt/floppy open
in a file manager.

John

 
 
 

"Device is busy" msg from umount...

Post by Bruce Schult » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00




> > Dear Linux users,

> > I've just installed Linux.  Mounted my floppy with:  mount /dev/fd0
> > /mnt/floppy.   Then I was able to read files on the floppy.  But when I
> > tried to unmount it with:  umount /dev/fd0  (or umount /mnt/floppy) I
> > got the message:  "Device is busy."  Looking up umount in the man pages
> > gives the impression that the problem here is that the files I read are
> > still "open."

> Something to check:  Are you (or other users) still in the directory
> /mnt/floppy or any directory below that?  If so, you can't umount the
> floppy, as you're still in the floppy's directory and therefore still
> using the filesystem.  cd to another directory, like /home/myhome, and
> try it.  (I got burned by this many times...)

> >  But I see no instructions on how to close them (or how to
> > get a list of all files currently "open" in the system).

> To get a list of all open files, use the lsof command.  I think it
> should come as an optional package to install on most distros; if not,
> it's on Freshmeat somewhere as an RPM and a tarball...

> >  What happens if you logout,
> > WITHOUT successfully umounting file systems or partitions that you've
> > mounted?

> They remain mounted until the user umounts them or root umounts them.
> This is a feature. :-]

The original poster didn't specify his distribution.  Mandrake 6.0 had
a bug in its initscripts that created this very error.  Updating to
the latest version fixed it.  I don't know if RedHat also had the
problem or not.

The fix might be as easy as updating a package.

--
Bruce Schultz

 
 
 

"Device is busy" msg from umount...

Post by j.. » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Quote:

>> > Dear Linux users,

>> > I've just installed Linux.  Mounted my floppy with:  mount /dev/fd0
>> > /mnt/floppy.   Then I was able to read files on the floppy.  But when I
>> > tried to unmount it with:  umount /dev/fd0  (or umount /mnt/floppy) I
>> > got the message:  "Device is busy."  Looking up umount in the man pages
>> > gives the impression that the problem here is that the files I read are
>> > still "open."

    I had a umount problem with my CDROM, try typing 'sync' to flush the
buffers. In my case the terminal would hang when you did that (it shouldn't)
and that was why I couldn't umount the CD drive, in another terminal ps -aux
showed a D dead process for both sync and umount. That was with RH 6.01, after
reinstalling from scratch it worked?  Mysteries abound.

                                                                -John

PS. I know people say that all you do is install and away you go, but I've
found that after a couple installs all the bugs and querky
intermittent errors go away.

 
 
 

"Device is busy" msg from umount...

Post by Jonathan Voig » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00


are you still in the directory /mnt/fd when trying to umount?... if you are you
must be somewhere else... like /root or / you cannot be in the mount point when
trying to un mount.


> >> > Dear Linux users,

> >> > I've just installed Linux.  Mounted my floppy with:  mount /dev/fd0
> >> > /mnt/floppy.   Then I was able to read files on the floppy.  But when I
> >> > tried to unmount it with:  umount /dev/fd0  (or umount /mnt/floppy) I
> >> > got the message:  "Device is busy."  Looking up umount in the man pages
> >> > gives the impression that the problem here is that the files I read are
> >> > still "open."

>     I had a umount problem with my CDROM, try typing 'sync' to flush the
> buffers. In my case the terminal would hang when you did that (it shouldn't)
> and that was why I couldn't umount the CD drive, in another terminal ps -aux
> showed a D dead process for both sync and umount. That was with RH 6.01, after
> reinstalling from scratch it worked?  Mysteries abound.

>                                                                 -John

> PS. I know people say that all you do is install and away you go, but I've
> found that after a couple installs all the bugs and querky
> intermittent errors go away.

--


http://jonsbox.dhs.org
http://www.voicomm.com
 
 
 

"Device is busy" msg from umount...

Post by Mark Forsy » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00



>are you still in the directory /mnt/fd when trying to umount?... if you are you
>must be somewhere else... like /root or / you cannot be in the mount point when
>trying to un mount.

I knew that ! I only wish I wouldn't fall for it time and again and again and
again.....and again etc.....:)


>> >> > Dear Linux users,

>> >> > I've just installed Linux.  Mounted my floppy with:  mount /dev/fd0
>> >> > /mnt/floppy.   Then I was able to read files on the floppy.  But when I
>> >> > tried to unmount it with:  umount /dev/fd0  (or umount /mnt/floppy) I
>> >> > got the message:  "Device is busy."  Looking up umount in the man pages
>> >> > gives the impression that the problem here is that the files I read are
>> >> > still "open."

>>     I had a umount problem with my CDROM, try typing 'sync' to flush the
>> buffers. In my case the terminal would hang when you did that (it shouldn't)
>> and that was why I couldn't umount the CD drive, in another terminal ps -aux
>> showed a D dead process for both sync and umount. That was with RH 6.01, after
>> reinstalling from scratch it worked?  Mysteries abound.

>>                                                                 -John

>> PS. I know people say that all you do is install and away you go, but I've
>> found that after a couple installs all the bugs and querky
>> intermittent errors go away.

>--


>http://jonsbox.dhs.org
>http://www.voicomm.com

--
Mark F...
unMASK for e-mail
 
 
 

1. "Device is busy" msg from umount...

Most probably you are still in /mnt/floppy. Leave this directory with cd ~
and try to umount the floppy again.

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
 Before you buy.

2. FTP

3. "umount: /usr: device is busy" on reboot...

4. PPP working finally.

5. Stable Linux Kernel ?

6. How do I umount a bogus "device busy" CD-ROM?

7. What is the deal with cache memory?

8. how to kill "mt" or make "/dev/rmt/..." device NOT BUSY?

9. GETSERVBYNAME()????????????????????"""""""""""""

10. How to umount "Busy" filesystem?

11. Cannot umount "/" -- busy?

12. """"""""My SoundBlast 16 pnp isn't up yet""""""""""""