Connecting to a Netware File Server through a PoPToP PPTP VPN Server

Connecting to a Netware File Server through a PoPToP PPTP VPN Server

Post by <nmorri.. » Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I was wondering if anybody out there could help me out... I've got my PPTP
VPN connection working great from a Win98 machine to a Linux box, I can see
everybody on the network etc., however I can't seem to connect to my Netware
server...  If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated...

My configuration is as follows:

Home PC -----> Firewall w/PPTPD ------ > Local Network
(Win98)        (RH Linux 6.1 (PoPToP)      (Win98 Machines & Netware Server)

Any Help would be GREATLY appreciated....

Thanks in advance...

Connecting to a Netware File Server through a PoPToP PPTP VPN Server

Post by Me » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

There are a couple of possibilities.

a)  IPX/SPX is not being correctly passed through the tunnel.

b)  IP multicast (used by SLP, which in turn is used by NetWare 5.x) is
not being passed across the tunnel.

If multicast is the problem, you might be able to get around it by pointing
the NetWare client at a hard-coded IP address (NWHOSTS file or the equiv.
config file in Linux; my apologies but I haven't looked at the Linux NetWare
stuff in a couple of years).

Hope that help!

--J