Device Drivers

Post by Mark McKa » Mon, 08 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I've accidentally overwritten /dev/cua3. (Amazing how much power you
have as root, isn't it?)  Is there any way I can restore it?  I've tried
recompiling the kernel, but that didn't help.

Mark

Device Drivers

Post by Frank Sweetse » Mon, 08 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I've accidentally overwritten /dev/cua3. (Amazing how much power you
> have as root, isn't it?)  Is there any way I can restore it?  I've tried
> recompiling the kernel, but that didn't help.

Use the /dev/MAKEDEV script, ie

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV cua

paramount.res.wpi.edu RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre9 i486       | at public servers
Woody:  Can I pour you a draft, Mr. Peterson?
Norm:   A little early, isn't it Woody?
Woody:  For a beer?
Norm:   No, for stupid questions.
                -- Cheers, Let Sleeping Drakes Lie

Device Drivers

Post by Ari Argilland » Mon, 08 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> I've accidentally overwritten /dev/cua3. (Amazing how much power you
> have as root, isn't it?)  Is there any way I can restore it?  I've tried
> recompiling the kernel, but that didn't help.

> Mark

Maybe you should try something like,

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV cua3

and as root, of course
--
                Ari Argillander

Device Drivers

Post by Peter Ry » Mon, 08 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I've accidentally overwritten /dev/cua3. (Amazing how much power you
> have as root, isn't it?)  Is there any way I can restore it?  I've tried
> recompiling the kernel, but that didn't help.

As root,
mknod /dev/cua3 c 5 67

or use the MAKEDEV script in /dev (if you have it).

Suggested reading:
man MAKEDEV and man mknod

--

Consultant in Paediatric Intensive Care,  St. George's Hospital, London, UK
Ph: +44 (0)181 725 1932                            Fax: +44 (0)181 725 0089

Device Drivers

Post by Henrik Storn » Mon, 08 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I've accidentally overwritten /dev/cua3. (Amazing how much power you
>have as root, isn't it?)  Is there any way I can restore it?  I've tried
>recompiling the kernel, but that didn't help.

As root, do:
   mknod /dev/cua3 c 5 67
   chown root.uucp /dev/cua3
   chmod 660 /dev/cua3

--
Henrik Storner                               http://www.image.dk/~storner/
"The POP3 server service depends on the SMTP server service, which

1. Device driver calling another device driver.

Hi.

I am having a problem writing a "meta-driver", ie one that is sandwiched
between the kernel and a real device driver. The platform I am using
consists of a Sun IPC, running SunOS 4.1.1.

My problem is that in attempting to use the OPEN(2V) system call from within
the "xxopen" routine of my metadriver (to open another device-driver (which
then opens the device)); OPEN(2V) "fails".

It appears that calling OPEN(2V) from within the kernel requires a different
calling sequence and argument list. Viz-a-viz: instead of a file descriptor
being returned by OPEN(2V), it seems a pointer is returned (which itself is
a pointer to something else).

Is this true? Is the OPEN(2V) syscall different for a process executing in
user address space, compared to the OPEN call executed by a process running
in kernel mode/address space?

If this is true for OPEN, what about CLOSE, READ, WRITE, etc? Unfortunately,
I don't have (easy) access to any Unix (source) code, to verify this.

Thanks in advance for help/advice.

2. How many BOCA16 boards?

3. Device driver question (generic device driver)

4. How to make ext3fs?

5. PCI device vs SCSI device driver

6. ps2 mouse doesnt work, resource or device busy

7. Device driver for a device

8. segmentation fault on 1.1.18

9. Device driver devices.pci.scsi missing

10. New device device driver development tool for Solaris.

11. one device driver and 2 devices for it, impossible with linux ?

12. My first device driver => "No such device" :(

13. New device device driver development tool for Solaris.