help with diagnosing sound card problem

Post by Joe » Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:26:11

Hi,

I was not sure whether this topic was appropriately under hardware or
should be under this (or something else?).  Can someone help me?

I'm having problems getting sound up on my new redhat linux 8.0
install.  Could someone help?  Basically I'm looking for pointers on
how to diagnose the problem (key files, commands, applications) and
fix it.  Some information (some may not be complete, so please ask if
you feel it's crucial):

1) My card is a Crystal Fusion card.

2) Here is some log info when I halt:

Oct 19 03:21:14 localhost kernel: PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:0f.0
Oct 19 03:21:14 localhost kernel: Crystal 4280/46xx + AC97 Audio,
version 1.28.32, 13:45:24 Sep 4 2002
Oct 19 03:21:14 localhost kernel: cs46xx: Card found at 0xf4020000 and
0xf4100000, IRQ 9
Oct 19 03:21:14 localhost kernel: cs46xx: Unknown card (8086:8080) at
0xf4020000/0xf4100000, IRQ 9
Oct 19 03:21:14 localhost kernel: cs46xx: create - never read card
ready from AC'97
Oct 19 03:21:14 localhost kernel: cs46xx: probably not a bug, try
using the CS4232 driver,
Oct 19 03:21:14 localhost kernel: cs46xx: or turn off any automatic
Power Management support in the BIOS.
Oct 19 03:21:15 localhost kernel: cs46xx: create - never read card
ready from AC'97
Oct 19 03:21:15 localhost kernel: cs46xx: probably not a bug, try
using the CS4232 driver,
Oct 19 03:21:15 localhost kernel: cs46xx: or turn off any automatic
Power Management support in the BIOS.
Oct 19 03:21:16 localhost kernel: cs46xx: create - never read card
ready from AC'97
Oct 19 03:21:16 localhost kernel: cs46xx: probably not a bug, try
using the CS4232 driver,
Oct 19 03:21:16 localhost kernel: cs46xx: or turn off any automatic
Power Management support in the BIOS.
Oct 19 03:21:17 localhost kernel: cs46xx: create - never read card
ready from AC'97
Oct 19 03:21:17 localhost kernel: cs46xx: probably not a bug, try
using the CS4232 driver,
Oct 19 03:21:17 localhost kernel: cs46xx: or turn off any automatic
Power Management support in the BIOS.
Oct 19 03:21:18 localhost insmod:
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/sound/cs46xx.o: init_module: No
such device
Oct 19 03:21:18 localhost insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by
incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

I hope someone can help me.  Any tips on what my next step should be,
what commands are involved, and where I can find info on it would be
great.  I'm really looking forward to  learning more.

Joey

Post by mjt » Tue, 22 Oct 2002 02:06:11

> I'm having problems getting sound up on my new redhat linux 8.0
> install.  Could someone help?  Basically I'm looking for pointers on
> how to diagnose the problem (key files, commands, applications) and
> fix it.  Some information

.... if it were _me_, i'd run over to red hat's site and check
their support knowledgebase and hardware compatibility database.
maybe read the install documentation.

if that didnt provide any resolution, i'd go here:
http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
and in the "with all of the words" field, enter:
- Crystal Fusion sound redhat - and see if other people have
posted this same problem/solution. you could also do a search at:
http://www.google.com/linux

if you DO happen to repost, please provide your box's hardware
configuration - getting a laptop to work might be different
than getting a desktop to work.

Post by Joe » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 07:01:48

> > I'm having problems getting sound up on my new redhat linux 8.0
> > install.  Could someone help?  Basically I'm looking for pointers on
> > how to diagnose the problem (key files, commands, applications) and
> > fix it.  Some information

> .... if it were _me_, i'd run over to red hat's site and check
> their support knowledgebase and hardware compatibility database.
> maybe read the install documentation.

> if that didnt provide any resolution, i'd go here:
> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
> and in the "with all of the words" field, enter:
> - Crystal Fusion sound redhat - and see if other people have
> posted this same problem/solution. you could also do a search at:
> http://www.google.com/linux

> if you DO happen to repost, please provide your box's hardware
> configuration - getting a laptop to work might be different
> than getting a desktop to work.

Thanks for writing. Well, when I searched redhat, I found that the
supported devices were all cs46xx series.  I tried taking the log's
advice and setting the driver to cs4232 but couldn't figure how to do
that.  I tried manually messing with the /etc/sysconfig/hwconf file,
but it gets overwritten back to cs46xx after I boot up.  The dmesg
command seems to indicate that it cannot find any device for cs46xx.
I did notice that two of the other sound related device listings when
I check sound under the hardware browser have drivers of cs4232.  Any
suggestions?

I have a dell desktop pentium 2 450 Mhz.

Joey

Post by Joe » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 07:29:10

> > I'm having problems getting sound up on my new redhat linux 8.0
> > install.  Could someone help?  Basically I'm looking for pointers on
> > how to diagnose the problem (key files, commands, applications) and
> > fix it.  Some information

> .... if it were _me_, i'd run over to red hat's site and check
> their support knowledgebase and hardware compatibility database.
> maybe read the install documentation.

> if that didnt provide any resolution, i'd go here:
> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
> and in the "with all of the words" field, enter:
> - Crystal Fusion sound redhat - and see if other people have
> posted this same problem/solution. you could also do a search at:
> http://www.google.com/linux

> if you DO happen to repost, please provide your box's hardware
> configuration - getting a laptop to work might be different
> than getting a desktop to work.

To followup, I discovered "sndconfig" which allowed me to configure
the sound card properly.  Everything seems to work now.  Thanks for
your help.

Joey

1. Sound Card Help: ALSA driver, ESSOLO 1938 PCI Sound Card

I actually got pretty far into this, but can't make a peep come out of the
speakers (I just had a horrible thought - speakers are plugged in and turned
on).

Got ALSA Drivers, utilities, and library files, did standard configure, make,
make install for each.
In a console window under KDE, did the following:
1. insmod soundcore - got nothing back, so I assume that worked.
2. ran the snddevices script - it happily reported making a ton of devices.
3. Edited my etc/modules.conf to the following

alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-es1938
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

4. ran modprobe snd-card-es1938 - got nothing back, so I assume that worked as
well.

5. I tried a couple of the tools available under the "multimedia" option of the
KDE menu - none of them can access the output dev. I tried the chmod, still no
joy. When I run /utils/alsasound start, it reports that the driver is already
running. I postulate that may be so, but would like to confirm my hypothesis by
actually hearing something from the speakers. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

2. ???

3. Help diagnosing Ethernet card and PPPoE

4. Q: Adaptec AVA scsi controller ?

5. Diagnosing problem with 2nd ethernet card

6. DLPI

7. Need help with "Sound 16" sound card

8. Some questions about Linux!

9. MS Windows Sound System (PLEASE Help me with this sound card) !!!!!!!

10. Need help with "Sound 16" sound card

11. Sound help w/ ESS Technologies PnP sound card

12. Help: Sound card works but no sound from the cd player

13. MS Windows Sound System (Please Help me with this sound card) !!!!!!!!