InfoWorld quote

Post by Loren S Osbo » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Okay... maybe I should have named this one Research Paper Part 2...

I've located a quote I'd like to use in my paper from InfoWorld, but
am unable to find reference to which issue...

The quote is by Robert X. Cringely (a InfoWorld pseudonym) and is as
follows:

"If the automobile had followed the same development as the computer,
a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and
explode once a year killing everyone inside."

If you happen to be a connoisseur of computer quotes, or have too many
InfoWorlds lying around... and have too much time... or know of a good
"Web Robot" that can comb the InfoWorld web site, I would greatly appreciate
it... thanks...

(Yes.. the quote might be Linux related, but the research paper is!)

Thanks in advance,

Loren Osborn
Student; Rochester Institute of Technology

1. Quotes in quotes

The backup command bru takes an optional Label argument like this:

bru -L "Useful label information" -cvf /dev/nst0 /dir1

In a sh script I'm writing I want to take /dir from the command line
(easy) and put it into the label field with the time. Something along the
lines of:

#!/bin/sh
DIR=$1
LABEL="$(date) $DIR"
BRUCMD="bru -L $LABEL -cvf /dev/nst0 $DIR"

echo $BRUCMD

$BRUCMD

the echo gives back exactly what I want to see:

bru -L "Fri Jun 12 20:59:42 EDT 1998 /dir1" -cvf /dev/nst0 /dir1

but when the command executes the quote marks have disappeared and bru
chokes on everything after Fri.

I'm sure this is something quite simple I'm missing, but I've already
wasted too much time on it.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance,
Matt

2. any hints, bewares: will try making antiword-0.35 install for solaris9/sparc

3. Q: sh: Can I quote '"' in a double quoted string?

4. Don't know how to mount MO Drive and extended DOS partitions! Help!

5. replace single quote to double quote with an example

6. Now it won't boot!

7. quoted strings within quoted strings

8. fix for weird login problem

9. Quoting quotes in m4?

10. Double quotes within double quotes (no apostrophes)

11. Problem in sed using double quotes and single quotes

12. to quote or not to quote?

13. quoting quotes withion a (bourne shell) script line