Mounting NFS read/write

Post by Joe Slo » Thu, 24 Nov 1994 05:15:17

>I am administrating a small network that has a couple
>of Linux machines on it.  I would like to set one of
>the machines up as an NFS server, and I have gotten
>it set up so I can mount read-only.  The problem is
>that, as far as I can tell, the volumes should be
>mounted read/write.  What am I doing wrong?

I assume you are running mountd, nfsd, rpc.portmap, et al?
after editing /etc/exports, restart mountd and nfsd....

from 'machine' you should be able to say

  mount server:/home /home

and have it work correctly...

try putting an entry in machine:/etc/fstab along the lines of:

server:/home    /home   nfs     defaults

more diagnostics would be helpful in future postings...

--

 A linux machine! because a 486        /    Microsoft is the question.
 is a terrible thing to waste!         /    NO is the answer.

Mounting NFS read/write

Post by travis jens » Thu, 24 Nov 1994 01:27:41

I am administrating a small network that has a couple
of Linux machines on it.  I would like to set one of
the machines up as an NFS server, and I have gotten
it set up so I can mount read-only.  The problem is
that, as far as I can tell, the volumes should be
mounted read/write.  What am I doing wrong?

Here is how I have my /etc/exports file on the server
('machine' is the machine that I am mounting /home
on)

/home   machine.pht.com(rw)

And I've tried mounting the volume like this:

mount -t nfs -o rw server.pht.com:/home /home
--or--
mount -t nfs -w server.pht.com:/home /home

Neither worked.  Help would be greatly appreciated.

Travis
--
Travis A. Jensen            | USER, n.:

Linux contractor for hire   |   use when they mean 'idiot'."
"Am I really graduating     |      --Dave Barry
 next summer??"             |        "Claw Your Way to the Top"

--

Post by travis jens » Thu, 24 Nov 1994 09:04:00

: I assume you are running mountd, nfsd, rpc.portmap, et al?
: after editing /etc/exports, restart mountd and nfsd....

I am running these.

: from 'machine' you should be able to say

:   mount server:/home /home
:
: and have it work correctly...

It succeeds in mounting it read-only.  I am absolutely lost
as to why this won't mount read/write!

: try putting an entry in machine:/etc/fstab along the lines of:

: server:/home  /home   nfs     defaults

It is there.

: more diagnostics would be helpful in future postings...

I don't know what else to give.  Everything works in a read-only
mode, but it won't mount read/write.

If there is anything specific you need to know, please e-mail
me.  I don't know what else there is, tho'.

Travis

--

Post by Joe Slo » Thu, 24 Nov 1994 10:06:20

>I don't know what else there is, tho'.

well, for the benefit of the international linux community,
let me say here that the following info would be helpful:
(perhaps I missed it in an earlier post)

distribution (e.g. slackware 2.0.1)
kernel version (e.g. 1.1.64)
the exact lines from /etc/exports on 'server' and /etc/fstab on 'machine'
your /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 (or equivalent file if not recent slackware)
the exact nature of the failure
the exact wording of any error messages

--

 A linux machine! because a 486        /    Microsoft is the question.
 is a terrible thing to waste!         /    NO is the answer.

Mounting NFS read/write

Post by travis jens » Thu, 24 Nov 1994 11:34:59

Uuurgghhh!!!  Never mind, stupid error.  It is now solved.  I
had the following entries in my exports file:

/home   machine.pht.com (rw)
/       machine.pht.com (ro)

I did this because I want to be able to mount the entire
system read-only for backups, but also mount parts
read/write for everything else.  Needless to say, this
didn't work.  By deleting the last line, things work.

Thanks for the time.

Travis

--
Travis A. Jensen            | USER, n.:

Linux contractor for hire   |   use when they mean 'idiot'."
"Am I really graduating     |      --Dave Barry
 next summer??"             |        "Claw Your Way to the Top"

1. Mounting NFS read/write

[...]

2. How to get minicom to start ppp?

3. NFS fs read-only when mounted read-write

4. named ( bind ) stats?

5. Read-Write nfs mounts

6. Q: POP3d

7. NFS-mounting FAT for Read+Write?

8. Automatic winsock configuration for ISPs

9. trouble mounting NFS system read/write

10. How to read-write nfs-mount an AIX dir under Linux?

11. Sockets: write() writes OK, yet read() reads garbage...?

12. /var/mail: to NFS mount or not to NFS mount?

13. nfs mount to a nfs mount fails