Diamond Stealth and Linux?

Post by Brad Alexand » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I just upgraded my machine from a 386DX40 to a P-100. (it was
great...BogoMIPs went from 6.something to 39.6...:)

I remember a year and a half ago, when I started with Linux, there was a
note in the X documentation about the Diamond Stealth card. Diamond would
not share the microcode, therefore drivers could not be written and posted
under the GPL.

I seem to recall over the course of time that the card was usable/had
drivers. What is the current status of the Diamond Stealth? A friend gave
me a killer deal on a 2MB PCI Stealth, and as always Linux is a primary
consideration (right now I am running with a Trident TVGA8900C)...

Thanks in advance,
--Brad

Diamond Stealth and Linux?

Post by Vicente Mend » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

No problem at all. Diamond at some point released the code to
program the card. I have the same thing and run really well. I
can even get dosemu in graphics mode.

Hope this helps,

Vicente

Post by Rob Hanss » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

: Hello,

: I just upgraded my machine from a 386DX40 to a P-100. (it was
: great...BogoMIPs went from 6.something to 39.6...:)

: I remember a year and a half ago, when I started with Linux, there was a
: note in the X documentation about the Diamond Stealth card. Diamond would
: not share the microcode, therefore drivers could not be written and posted
: under the GPL.

: I seem to recall over the course of time that the card was usable/had
: drivers. What is the current status of the Diamond Stealth? A friend gave
: me a killer deal on a 2MB PCI Stealth, and as always Linux is a primary
: consideration (right now I am running with a Trident TVGA8900C)...

: Thanks in advance,
: --Brad

The stealth 64 is now fully supported in all videomodes you'd ever
want to use in X >= 3.1.1

good luck

Rob hanssen

--
.sig

Diamond Stealth and Linux?

Post by Paul Engli » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

[...]

This is assuming that he is indeed talking about the Stealth 64.. most
people seem to have forgotten about the Stealth 32, which is based on
the et chipset, not the s3 chipset, and which is NOT well supported at
all, and doesn't look like it ever will be.
        Paul

Diamond Stealth and Linux?

Post by William Perr » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

> I just upgraded my machine from a 386DX40 to a P-100. (it was
> great...BogoMIPs went from 6.something to 39.6...:)

> I remember a year and a half ago, when I started with Linux, there was a
> note in the X documentation about the Diamond Stealth card. Diamond would
> not share the microcode, therefore drivers could not be written and posted
> under the GPL.

> I seem to recall over the course of time that the card was usable/had
> drivers. What is the current status of the Diamond Stealth? A friend gave
> me a killer deal on a 2MB PCI Stealth, and as always Linux is a primary
> consideration (right now I am running with a Trident TVGA8900C)...

  I have a 2MB PCI Stealth 64 that came with my new motherboard (P120
:) and it runs beautifully.  I am using the new 3.1.2D beta (need to

my monitor got _very_ confused after a while, so I wouldn't recommend
it (my monitor isn't really rated for 1600x1200 mode :)

-Bill P.

Diamond Stealth and Linux?

Post by David L. Vitit » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I remember a year and a half ago, when I started with Linux, there was a
>note in the X documentation about the Diamond Stealth card. Diamond would
>not share the microcode, therefore drivers could not be written and posted
>under the GPL.
>I seem to recall over the course of time that the card was usable/had
>drivers. What is the current status of the Diamond Stealth? A friend gave
>me a killer deal on a 2MB PCI Stealth, and as always Linux is a primary
>consideration (right now I am running with a Trident TVGA8900C)...

According to what I've read, Diamond was less than cooperative at first.
However, lately they have been and a server does now exist for the P9000 chipset.
I run with a Diamond Viper VLB 2mb, using the XF86_P9000 server that came
with my slackware 3.0 CD set.  This server is also supposed to work with the
Diamond Viper PCI (although I haven't tried it).

The only complaint that I have is that you can't switch video modes on the fly.
With most of the other cards you can set it up with several resolutions (ie.
600x800 and 1040x1200).  You can then change between modes from within X-win
by hitting <ctrl><alt><+> or <ctrl><alt><->.  I don't think this is possible
with this server (although I don't understand why).  So, you basically just
have to pick your favorite resolution and go with it. I would love for someone
to prove me wrong on this one,  because I'd like to have this feature on my
system :^)

                                        - Dave
--

                                                - Dave

Diamond Stealth and Linux?

Post by Micha » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Hello,

[snip]

>I seem to recall over the course of time that the card was usable/had
>drivers. What is the current status of the Diamond Stealth? A friend gave
>me a killer deal on a 2MB PCI Stealth, and as always Linux is a primary
>consideration (right now I am running with a Trident TVGA8900C)...

It is true that the Diamond Stealth now works great with X.  I have a
2 MB VRAM PCI Diamond Stealth running in X 3.1.2.  I run X using -bpp
16 btw.  Does -bpp 24 work?  Would you want to?

A word of warning:  svgalib supports is still a bit flakey.  As of
version 1.2.10 it only seems to work in 640x480x256 - and even then
crashes periodically.

Quote:>Thanks in advance,

--
l8r
mike

Diamond Stealth and Linux?

Post by Jerry Cullingfo » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>It is true that the Diamond Stealth now works great with X.  I have a
>2 MB VRAM PCI Diamond Stealth running in X 3.1.2.  I run X using -bpp
>16 btw.  Does -bpp 24 work?  Would you want to?

I'm not sure - I think it worked on my old VLB 2Mb Stealth 64 DRAM, but
it didn't work when I tried it on my new PCI 4Mb Stealth 64 Video VRAM -
but -bpp 32 does - so there should be a good chance of at least one of
24 or 32 working.

Would you want to? That depends. :-). If you're running something where
the extra colours are useful - like the POVRAY ray tracer - then it's
very handy. With only 2MB, you may have to trade off resolution, though -
and with more data to shift around it can be slower. I tend to run in 8bpp
unless I need the extra colour depth - personally, I find 16bpp of
questionable use - overall, a decent 8bpp palette often does as well,
and sometimes better, though it depends on the types of image you're working
with.

--
   _|_

1. Diamond Stealth 3d 2000 Pro, and the Diamond Stealth 3d 3000, in Xfree86

If your having problems with the Diamond Stealth 3d 2000 Pro, and the
Diamond Stealth 3d 3000, in Xfree86, please read.

It's the "pro" part of you Stealth 3d 2000 that is giving you the
problem. It's designed for video in addition to regular display. This is
also a problem with many of the Stealth 3d 3000 cards(but not all). The
fix is to cut it back to 16bpp. You see, at 24bpp and 32bpp, the Stealth
3000 needs a special driver that handles the mpeg/avi video acceleration
features of these cards. But not at 16bpp.

Sometimes you can get away with running the Diamond Stealth 3d 2000 pro,
and the Diamond Stealth 3d 3000 at 24bpp and 32bpp. But chances are
you'll get the following problems:

XF_s3V server: lockups when user exits window manager, screen turns neon
lime green or red(other colors also reported, but these two are the most
common). However, this server works fine at 16bpp.

XF_SVGA server: works great, but acceleration at 24bpp or 32 bpp is not
complete!!!!! Boot up Netscape and you will see what I mean. The buttons
on Navigator will be in black&white.

These problems do not effect the Stealth 3d 2000 "classic", just the
Stealth 3d 2000 Pro and the Stealth 3d 3000 series cards.

Carter

2. Finally Got a firewall working with ADSL and multiple dynamic IP's

3. Diamond Stealth 64 S3/ Now considered Diamond 3000

4. Config Problems with XFree86 4 for TFT display

5. Xconfig Help with Diamond Stealth 24 and a Mitsubishi Diamond Scan 17FS

6. Microsoft paying Netscape for having killed them off ? NEWSFACTOR.com

7. Diamond Stealth S3 Vision 968 aka Diamond GT

8. *question*

9. Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 vs Linux

10. Diamond Stealth II 220 & Linux 5.2

11. Fine linux 3d drivers for Diamond Stealth III S540 PCI

12. diamond stealth 3D 2000 (4MB) on linux

13. Linux and the Diamond Stealth GII 460