Wacky print filter question: who printed to me?

Wacky print filter question: who printed to me?

Post by Ron Aaro » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

I want to fax from my Windows NT and/or '95 boxes, via my linux box.
Currently, I *receive* faxes on the linux box just fine (I'm using efax; it
works great for this!).  I'm using Samba to share the linux printers.  NT
has *no* fax driver (unlike Win95).

After thinking about it and seeing some relevant clues here, I set up a
PostScript printer in printcap, with a perl script filter of my own
devising, figuring *all*  I had to do was put a fax-number:... line in the
document, print to the PS printer, and voila! a fax would be sent.

Lamentably, this doesn't work well because .... MS Word (at least) doesn't
send document text to the printer, it sends the text as a rendered bitmap.
In other words, there *is* no relevant text my filter script can parse.
Sigh. (Notepad *does* just send text, so it works  - but I wouldn't be
using it).

So what I want is a way to hook into knowing *what* machine sent the print
job  (there are several on this network) and  then I can have my script
query that machine (via sockets) and present a pop-up UI to the user,
asking what fax number to send to.  This would be very similar to what
happens when one uses other Windows based fax solutions.  I could broadcast
the query on the net, but that is (understandably) going to upset people
who weren't actually sending faxen at the time.

Any help/suggestions are welcome,
Thanks!

Ron
--
Note: excise 'joe-bob' from my address in order to respond via email,
thanks!

The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation