poor sound recording quality

Post by Scot Sha » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I am running RedHat 6.0 on a laptop with a Yamaha sound card.  It took a
bit of effort to get the sound card to record from the microphone or
line in, but now that I can I get very poor sound quality.  The recorded
.wav files have a lot of static.  I can play sound files recorded in
other ways (for example, ripped from a CD) the sound is fine, so I know
that it is the recording stage that needs work.

I got the settings for io, mss_io, irq, dma, and so on from Windows
(which is also installed on the computer) and wrote them into
/etc/conf.modules.  Before I changed those settings I couldn't record at
all, though I could play files just fine.  In windows I can record, and
the quality is just fine.

I am using wavrec to record to a .wav file, and wavplay to play the
file.

Any ideas what could be wrong?  Since there were more io settings in
windows than I could set in Linux, I tried all of the possibilities.
Not all of them allowed me to record, but those that did were all of the
same poor quality.

-Scot

--

  Scot Shaw
  Harvard University, Cambridge, MA

poor sound recording quality

Post by UhUh.. » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I am running RedHat 6.0 on a laptop with a Yamaha sound card.  It took a
>bit of effort to get the sound card to record from the microphone or
>line in, but now that I can I get very poor sound quality.  The recorded
>.wav files have a lot of static.  I can play sound files recorded in
>other ways (for example, ripped from a CD) the sound is fine, so I know
>that it is the recording stage that needs work.

>I got the settings for io, mss_io, irq, dma, and so on from Windows
>(which is also installed on the computer) and wrote them into
>/etc/conf.modules.  Before I changed those settings I couldn't record at
>all, though I could play files just fine.  In windows I can record, and
>the quality is just fine.

>I am using wavrec to record to a .wav file, and wavplay to play the
>file.

>Any ideas what could be wrong?  Since there were more io settings in
>windows than I could set in Linux, I tried all of the possibilities.
>Not all of them allowed me to record, but those that did were all of the
>same poor quality.

>-Scot

Do you use a mixer program (like xmix) to set the volume and gain on the
inputs?

--
Exaggeration is a trillion times worse than understatement.
    also: remove "UhUh" and "Spam" to get my real email address -----

Post by Shaw » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Do you use a mixer program (like xmix) to set the volume and gain on the
> inputs?

> --
> Exaggeration is a trillion times worse than understatement.
>     also: remove "UhUh" and "Spam" to get my real email address -----

Yes.  I should have mentioned this in my original email.  I got xmix,
originally to check that the recording device was set properly.  Using both
the microphone and the line in, I have tried adjusting the volume all the
way up on the devices, all the way down, or putting it in the middle.  I
have also experimented with the volume on my stereo (which is providing the
signal).  In all cases, the recorded sound file has the same quality.

--

  Scot Shaw
  Harvard University, Cambridge, MA

poor sound recording quality

Post by Steve Fei » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Some times X windows can cause poor quailty sound. Try using a text
based recording program and record without x running. If
that makes a difference, there are adjustments in x-config that
may help. Other than that look at the overall sound sample
amplitude. With 16 bit sound, an amplitude of 25% or highter
is ok. If you go over %100 even infrequentaly your sample
will sound crappy.

 Steven Feil           | Gram-pa, back at the turn of the      .~.
 Programmer/Developer  | century, why did people use an        /V\

                       | allowed to see the source code?      (X_X)

1. recording sound gives poor quality

I have an old noname sound card which I was able to get running with the
mad16 and mozart drivers. the output from the kernel is attached below.

If I play sounds from prerecorded mp3, realaudio or .au-Files, I get an
excellent sound quality.

The strange thing: If I try to record sound with a command (taken from
the Sound-HOWTO):

dd if=/dev/audio of=bla.au bs=4k count=4

then the sound is extremely noisy and sound as if it was played much too
slow. My voice sounds very deep and slow when I replay it with

cat bla.au > /dev/audio

I read that I need a mixer. I tried several ones, aumix, xmix and kmix.
If I start these, I hear a very clear signal on the loudspeakers. Still,
if I try to record and play the sound I get the poor quality.

I am trying to set this up to be able to telephone with speekfreely.
This programm also delivers the poor sound quality when reading in from
the microphone.

Can anyone point me into the right direction, please ?

Fritz

The mashine is a Celeron 400MHz with 64M of RAM.

Kernel boot message:

Sound initialization started
<MAD16 WSS (82C930)> at 0x534 irq 7 dma 0,1
<Mad16/Mozart> at 0x300 irq 5 dma 0
Sound initialization complete

From /proc:

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver compiled into kernel
Kernel: Linux fritz 2.2.14 #8 Sun Apr 30 16:30:20 MEST 2000 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 19: MAD16/Mozart (MSS)
Type 20: MAD16/Mozart (MPU)
Type 26: MPU-401 (UART)
Type 2: Sound Blaster
Type 29: Sound Blaster PnP
Type 7: SB MPU-401

Card config:
MAD16/Mozart (MSS) at 0x530 irq 7 drq 0,1
MAD16/Mozart (MPU) at 0x300 irq 5 drq 0

Audio devices:
0: MAD16 WSS (82C930) (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:

Midi devices:
0: Mad16/Mozart

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: MAD16 WSS (82C930)

2. up2date kernel

3. Q: poor sound quality, why?

4. the .elm file

5. Poor Sound quality(Soundblaster)

6. printing via network problems with Linux/HP

7. Sound card: poor quality from CD drive... mixer needed?

8. RTF -> Postscript or RTF -> PDF -> Postscript ?

9. cdda2wav - poor sound quality

10. ??:Kernel Update Now Poor Sound Quality ... Help?!?!?!

11. Sound cards with good recording quality in Linux

12. Poor screen quality

13. xgrabsc | gs = poor quality