FAT32 and PnP

Post by Breda Strashei » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

First problem:

My Win95 system is installed on a FAT32 partition (hdb1). Linux is on hda1.
Is there some way I can get LILO to load the FAT32 partition? I added the
normal things to lilo.conf but when I select "dos" from the lilo prompt all
I get is "loading dos" and then my system hangs.

Second problem:

I run RH 4.1. Is there some way I can get my SB 32 PnP to work? Some kernel
patch or something?

Regards,

-- Linux: The Choice of a GNU generation! YEAH! :-))

FAT32 and PnP

Post by <jkl.. » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hello,

> First problem:

> My Win95 system is installed on a FAT32 partition (hdb1). Linux is on hda1.
> Is there some way I can get LILO to load the FAT32 partition? I added the
> normal things to lilo.conf but when I select "dos" from the lilo prompt all
> I get is "loading dos" and then my system hangs.

I'm pretty sure that your problem stems from having your Windows partition
on your second hard disk.  Try swapping the two disks with the Win95
partition first.  I have been running a FAT32 partition without any
problems for a while now.

Quote:> Second problem:

> I run RH 4.1. Is there some way I can get my SB 32 PnP to work? Some kernel
> patch or something?

Yes.  You can take a look at:
http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/
I would recommend starting with Tom Lee's PnP package as it is the easiest
to set up and get running.  David Howell's PnP is more complicated, but at
some point in the future it should be much easier to deal with.  Lot's of
people swear by the isapnptools, but unfortunately in my case they don't
really work.  The main reason is that the SB16 drivers (unmodified) don't
let you set IRQs above 7 which is impossible in my case, I must use 10.
Also note that unless you get the AWE32 patches you will basically be
running a SB16.
http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/awedrv/
Well, good luck.  So far I can get my modem to work or my sound card.  I
hope to be able to put my sound card on IRQ 10 and then I'll have both.

> Regards,

> -- Linux: The Choice of a GNU generation! YEAH! :-))

FAT32 and PnP

Post by Replace with luca at bigfoot dot c » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Second problem:

>I run RH 4.1. Is there some way I can get my SB 32 PnP to work? Some kernel
>patch or something?

There are two steps involved:

1) Initialize the PnP card. For this look for "isapnptools" at the redhat
web site.

2) Support for the AWE32 chip (the standard Sb driver would just use the FM
synthesizer for MIDI, not the wavetable). It is available at
http://www.veryComputer.com/~iwai/awedrv/

Hope this helps

--
Luca Olivetti             | Tarifa Plana ya! http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/| FAQ    http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. 2 Q's: PNP modem and VFAT(FAT32)

OK, a while ago I bought a PNP modem, and I can't get it to work under
Linux.  Where is there documentation about PNP and using it WITH Linux.
I've seen ton's of generic PNP stuff, but virtually nothing on using it
with Linux.  If somebody could just point me the way, I'd be happy to learn
it.

Next, I was a bonehead and partitioned my win95 drive with Fat32.  I have a
2.0 kernal, shouldn't I be able to mount my '95 drive from Linux?  I've
compiled support in for it, I've mucked up my fstab table so it *should* be
visible.  What am I doing wrong?

2. Help! New openwin user has questions

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. Ethernet and system hang?

5. linux fdisk hidden fat32 (1b) --> fat32 (0b) = dos fdisk fat16 ???

6. Help to my IBM laptop! Install Solaris 8

7. FAT32 and Linux 2.0.35: mounting the FAT32 partition

8. Remote Large file transfer (cat rsh) truncation problem

9. fat32 patch, cd with vfat & fat32

10. SB16 pnp / USR 56K internal pnp

11. AWE32 NOT DETECTED PNP OK PNP OK

12. SB16 pnp / USR 56K internal pnp

13. [2.5][RFT] ide-pnp.c conversion to new PnP layer