Installing X-Windows

Post by Martin Brewe » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Subject: Installing X-Windows
Newsgroups: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
I have Slackware 3.1 installed on my system, and i am thinking about
installing X-Windows so that i can install Netscape. I have never done
this before. Is this a complicated matter? I have the Walnut Creek CD's
to install with.

I am pretty much a novice at this, but have the basic installed with a
couple of utility's.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
Martin Brewer

Installing X-Windows

Post by Holger Hetteric » Fri, 23 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Subject: Installing X-Windows
> Newsgroups: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
> I have Slackware 3.1 installed on my system, and i am thinking about
> installing X-Windows so that i can install Netscape. I have never done
> this before. Is this a complicated matter? I have the Walnut Creek CD's
> to install with.

> I am pretty much a novice at this, but have the basic installed with a
> couple of utility's.

Martin,

installing an X-Server is quite easy nowadays. You will need X-libraries
and an X-server. The Server to choose depends on Your graphics-card
(e.g. what chipset does it have and how much memory does it have).
It is not very complicated. You will have to run "xf86config" which
allows You to configure Your server.

If You need some more help, re-mail me, I am not using slackware, but
installing an X-Server is a very general process.

Quote:

> Any suggestions?

> thanks,
> Martin Brewer

CU
Holger

--

Holger Hetterich, Uttenreuth
WWW   : http://www.erlangen.netsurf.de/dqb539/

1. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

Hi,
    I am trying to get X-Windows setup with an unknown
type of Cirrus Logic "SIIG" ISA graphics card. I only seem to get
some response when I set it up with Xconfigurator in 8-bit mode.
I am using Redhat 6.1 and KDE. The KDE desktop comes up
after a while. When I click on the Xterm icon, there is a delay,
the Xterm window comes up and just as it comes up, X-Windows
drops back to the Linux shell. There is a message:

QImage::color:Index out of range.

  What does this mean and how can I correct the problem.
   Is there any way that I can find out exactly what model
   of card that I have. There is a model number, but it does
   not look like anything related to what is in the Xconfigurator
   list nor on the SIIG site. The model is MVGA-AVGA3.
   I have a dual boot system and the card works with the Linux
   shell and Win95C with a resolution of 1024x768 and 16 bit
   hicolor.
                                                    Thanks
                                                                Mike

2. ncurses form library

3. installing X-windows

4. Connecting to the Net

5. Debian install: X-Windows fails to start

6. Solaris/x86 boot loader

7. Installing X-Windows -- No applications come up

8. Squid/IJB - Blocking Banner Ads?

9. Install X-windows in RedHat6.0

10. Installing X-Windows

11. installing X-Windows 3.3.3 Update

12. Install X-windows in Red hat 6.0

13. Success installing X-windows on ATI Graphics Expression 2 MB card