RedHat 4.2 Install - SCSI disks - Please help

RedHat 4.2 Install - SCSI disks - Please help

Post by Tim Goldenbur » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00

I had this problem when I installed RedHat 4.1, and somehow I fixed it.
Unfortunately, I don't remember how I fixed it.  I will have to document
it this time.  Here is the situation.

I have an Adaptect 2940UW with 2 scsi disks attached.  RedHat 4.2
installed fine and it boots fine (I upgraded from RedHat 4.1).  But, I
wanted to recompile the kernel (of course :] )  RedHat sticks all the
boot files in /boot so I went ahead and changed my /etc/lilo.conf to
point the old vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz (so I could boot to a previous
kernel) and the new one to /vmlinuz (so a make zlilo would work).

I compile a new kernel and I don't run into any problems.  FYI, I
compiled the 294x SCSI driver and all the scsi componects (tape, drive,
other) where compiled statically (by this I mean, not modules).

make zlilo completes successfully.  When I reboot, I receive the
following on the console

==========================

<skip several lines>
FDC post-1991
md <etc>
aix7xxx

<many normal scsi lines>

reset scsi bus

<downloads sequencer code and finds my 2 disks>
RAMDISK
JAVA
VFS

<repeats the SCSI messages AGAIN - ugh>

SCSI 0: SCSIINT - No Command for SCB.
<repeats this and continues to give errors.  never boots>

Compare all that to the old kernel booting. <following>

<skip several lines>
FDC post-1991
md <etc>
scsi: 0 hosts
scsi: detected total
RAMDISK
JAVA
VFS

<many normal scsi lines>

reset scsi bus

<downloads sequencer code and finds my 2 disks>
<finishes booting successfully>

=============================

Basically, I want the NEWly compiled kernel to follow the second
sequence and not the first.  What setting am I missing?  It appears that
after I compile the kernel that it tries to load the SCSI driver twice
and fails.

Thanks.
--
Tim Goldenburg
MCSE, Development Systems Support

Post by Greg Chares » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00

> I had this problem when I installed RedHat 4.1, and somehow I fixed it.
> Unfortunately, I don't remember how I fixed it.  I will have to document
> it this time.  Here is the situation.

stuff deleted

> It appears that
> after I compile the kernel that it tries to load the SCSI driver twice
> and fails.

> Thanks.
> --
> Tim Goldenburg
> MCSE, Development Systems Support
> Tivoli Systems

Does it work as a kernel module? I've got an older 2940 and RedHat 4.1
and it works fine when the kernel is compiled with the driver as a
module but not at all when it is statically compiled.

Post by Yrj?n? Rankk » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I had this problem when I installed RedHat 4.1, and somehow I fixed it.

-- stuff deleted --

> Basically, I want the NEWly compiled kernel to follow the second
> sequence and not the first.  What setting am I missing?  It appears that
> after I compile the kernel that it tries to load the SCSI driver twice
> and fails.

> Thanks.
> --
> Tim Goldenburg
> MCSE, Development Systems Support
> Tivoli Systems

Your problem seems to be the following:
You have a statically linked aic7xxx.o in your kernel and a dynamically
loadable module in initrd. The kernel isn't smart enough to not load the
module if a driver is already available. I just fixed this problem on my
system and what I did was:

1. Built a kernel (and all the modules) with static aha2940-adapter
driver, did modules_install and copied my brand new zImage to my /boot
with a new name

2. removed the line "alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx" from
/etc/conf.modules

3. Ran mkinitrd /boot/initrd-new 2.0.30 (replace your kernel version
here)

4. changed lilo.conf to have my brand new kernel as the default and
changed the "initrd=/boot/initrd" to "initrd=/boot/initrd-new" (remember
to preserve your old kernel in lilo.conf so you can come back later if
something gets f*cked up in your new kernel).

5. Ran /sbin/lilo

6. Rebooted

7. Nuked a mug'o'8-hrs-old-coffee(tm) in the microwave and drank it!

And don't blame me if this doesn't work for you ;-]

1. Install Redhat 4.2 from Powertools CD chokes at Partition of SCSI Hard disk stage

Greetings,

I have already posted this to the RedHat mail list, without any
success.

A little while ago I had a problem with a corrupt init, so I decided
to erase my hard-drive and re-install RedHat Linux.  Since I was doing
an install, I went and bought the new Redhat 4.2 Powertools CD so that
I can be moderately current with all the new stuff floating around.

Anyway, I didn't get very far though the install process when this
problem popped up.  The setup script asks if I want to install or
upgrade, and since I low-level formatted my hard disk already I say
"install" and then the script tells me that I have a problem
formatting my disk. The options are "previous", "re-try" or "menu",
but nothing that I do gets past this problem.

The salient point is that Redhat 3.0.3 (Picasso) and 4.0 (Colgate)
both installed totally painlessly on EXACTLY the same hardware, and
more importantly, I was able to install RH 3.0.3 immediately after the
4.2 Install failed on exactly the disk that I was attempting to
install on.

The [alt - F3] screen says the following:

* Second stage install running (version 1.1 built Apr 22 1997
16:03:02)
* /proc/scsi/scsi: Attached devices:
  Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 ld: 00 Lun: 00
     Vendor:          Mo        <-----  This looks wrong??!?!
* scsi devices are available
* successfully opened: /tmp/sda
* successfully opened: /tmp/sdb
* /proc/scsi/scsi: Attached devices:
  Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 ld: 00 Lun: 00
     Vendor:          Mo
* scsi devices are available
* Rev missing in /proc/scsi/scsi

My Hardware configuration is as follows:

Intel Pentium (Triton) 133 MHz
M'board Super Micro P55T2S
Adaptec AHA 2940 scsi card scsi ID #7, BIOS version 1.16
Quantum Atlas XP32150W 2 gb hard-drive on scsi ID #0
IBM DCAS32160w on scsi ID #1  (THIS IS THE LINUX DISK)

Both the hard drives are "wide" units that have those little plastic
68->50 converters.

Sony scsi CDROM on scsi ID #3
Matrox millenium video card, 2MB.
creative SB32 PnP card (that has never worked under Linux - and I
don't care.)

Historically, what I have done is had Lilo on the superblock of the
root partition of the Linux disk, and used that little boot disk
utility from Gilles Vollant to get there.

What I think is going on:
In the past, the install script used to ask if I wanted to use cfdisk,
fdisk, or skip the partition stage. I choose cfdisk, because I'm too
stupid to use command lines, and it worked.
Now in the current install, there is no option to use cfdisk. So I
wonder if there is some default option being passed to fdisk without
my knowing that is getting it wrong. Or maybe just the software for
(c)fdisk was "upgraded", and in the process it got broke for those of
us with older hardware?

The question is: is there anything that I can do that can get around
this seemingly insurmountable hurdle?

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

Peter Dulimov.

2. firewall preventing UDP port 67 from 0.0.0.0

3. Help with Redhat 4.2 install, please!!!

4. Will a Conner CTD400E-S 4mm Dat work with RH 5.2 ?

5. Error Installing Redhat Linux 4.2 PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

6. Linux-Windows routing problem

7. RedHat 4.2 Install/CD ROM Help Please!

8. sleep_on

9. RedHat 4.2 Install help for a newbie. Please?

10. A bummer RedHat 4.2 install on Aptiva S9C - Please Help

11. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

12. redhat 5.1 install never exits & scsi timeouts scsi scan - help please

13. making new Redhat 4.2 install disk for PS/2 system