Linux--ld.so--XFree86--RedHat--HELP--HELP

Linux--ld.so--XFree86--RedHat--HELP--HELP

Post by fmihal » Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:00:00

In order to install XFree86 3.3, I needed to update 'ld.so'.
Went got the the '.tgz' files for  1.9.2, didnt quite work.
Still not deterred, I attempted to upgrade directories manually and
viola--I blew away my current version of 'ld.so' and cant fork a
process.

I attempted to boot Linux from a floppy and it got as
far as:

    -- booting the kernel
    -- does delay loop calibration
    -- identifies system hw
    -- loads network protocols
    -- mount root (ext2 ro)
    -- same message about 16k times:
        "child (pick a short number) died with code ff00"

The system was built using RedHat v2.1 and the Linux
OS is 1.2.13--it's old and IM old.  There are two HDs in the system.
The first is DOS, Win, etc and the second has 750M for DOS
and 450M Linux, ext2.  I always boot Linux from the floppy.

Rebuilding Linux is not the problem.  But I have files and done
upgrades that could prove to be painful.  I know--Backup those
files!!

Is there some backdoor that I could use to install 'ld.so' or is
there some utility that runs on DOS or Win and is 'ext2'
aware, so, I could attempt retrieving those files.

Appreciate the help,

Frank Mihalek

Linux--ld.so--XFree86--RedHat--HELP--HELP

Post by Robert Hell » Mon, 16 Jun 1997 04:00:00

  In a message on Sat, 14 Jun 1997 17:57:35 GMT, wrote :

f> In order to install XFree86 3.3, I needed to update 'ld.so'.
f> Went got the the '.tgz' files for  1.9.2, didnt quite work.
f> Still not deterred, I attempted to upgrade directories manually and
f> viola--I blew away my current version of 'ld.so' and cant fork a
f> process.
f>
f> I attempted to boot Linux from a floppy and it got as
f> far as:
f>
f>     -- booting the kernel
f>     -- does delay loop calibration
f>     -- identifies system hw
f>     -- loads network protocols
f>     -- mount root (ext2 ro)
f>     -- same message about 16k times:
f>         "child (pick a short number) died with code ff00"
f>
f> The system was built using RedHat v2.1 and the Linux
f> OS is 1.2.13--it's old and IM old.  There are two HDs in the system.
f> The first is DOS, Win, etc and the second has 750M for DOS
f> and 450M Linux, ext2.  I always boot Linux from the floppy.
f>
f> Rebuilding Linux is not the problem.  But I have files and done
f> upgrades that could prove to be painful.  I know--Backup those
f> files!!
f>
f> Is there some backdoor that I could use to install 'ld.so' or is
f> there some utility that runs on DOS or Win and is 'ext2'
f> aware, so, I could attempt retrieving those files.

Should be doable.  Don't even try to mount your HD root partition as a
live root -- things are obviously too messed up in /lib to work.  Boot
from floppy and use a floppy or RAMDISK root file system (i.e. a
"rescue" root file system -- your Linux dist. should include this or
have an image of one on your CD -- use the "rawwrite.exe" program to
create one under ms-dos).  Then mount your HD's root (/dev/hdb2?) on
/mnt and install a proper ld.so.  You won't have much of a system, but
you should have tar, g[un]zip, and the basic file utilities (ls, cat,
ln, rm, mv, cp, etc.).  You should be able to fix things.  Or at worst,
make a backup by mounting one of your dos or windows partitions (on say
/mnt2) and doing a "tar czvf /mnt2/linux.tar.gz -C /mnt .".  If space is
tight on your dos/windows partitions, you can do a more selective
backup, and not the whole linux partition, and later re-install a base
Linux system and restore the custom parts from your backup using
*selective* tar extracts.

--
                                     \/

http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller  ||FidoNet:    1:321/153
http://netmar.com/mall/shops/heller  /\

1. HELP!!:/usr/i486-unknown-linux-gnulibc1/bin/ld: no input files

I just installed glibc-2.0.4.  I followed the HOWTO to the letter.

I tried a test compile and got the following results:

linux:/work/tmp# gcc -o hello hello.c
/usr/i486-unknown-linux-gnulibc1/bin/ld: no input files

evidently, gcc is not passing an object file or something to ld.  Gcc
will generate an object file, but ld won't link it:

linux:/work/tmp# gcc -c hello.c
linux:/work/tmp# ls
hello.c  hello.o
linux:/work/tmp# ld hello.o
ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 08048080
hello.o: In function `main':
hello.o(.text+0x9): undefined reference to `printf'

Does anyone have any ideas why this happens?

I am using Slakware 3.4, gcc 2.7.2.3

I need to get this working, because I have work I need to compile.
--
Matthew Vanecek

send me mail.  I appreciate your effort! :-)

Studies in Business Computers at the University of North Texas
http://www.unt.edu/bcis
Visit my Website at http://people.unt.edu/~mev0003
except me. I'm always getting in the way of something...

2. IPv6 duplicate address bugfix

3. llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

4. Proxy E-mail Service

5. cdu31a-cdu31a-cdu31a-cdu31a-cdu31a HELP HELP HELP please :-)

6. Staroffice 5.2

7. ELF intrepreter /compat/linux/lib/ld-linux.so.2 not found

8. Problem

9. P L, PPCQAU7HGUTGG..........................VCCCCCCCCCCCCC AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN777777777777777RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

10. TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

11. XFree86/xvidtune problems - i.e. missing /var/ld/ld.config etc.

12. alt.linux,alt.comp.linux.isp,alt.computer.security,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.security

13. help with ld script to build iBCS shared library (gnu ld 2.2)