cdr linux burn reads in windows, no mount in linux

cdr linux burn reads in windows, no mount in linux

Post by yeah righ » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:59:42

Ok heres a stumper, and I think its got something to do with a switch
setting somewhere in cdrecord.

Here's my specs:

Redhat 7.1
Cdrecord 1.10
mkisofs 1.13

Scsi bus:

0,3,0     3) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-ROM PX-32TS  ' '1.02' Removable CD-
0,5,0     5) 'YAMAHA  ' 'CRW4260         ' '1.0q' Removable CD-ROM

Using a couple of ide drives on a p200 asus mb. blah. ok so here's the
problem.

I want to burn a cd....

shell>mkisofs -J -r -o /home/burn/temp.iso /dir

ok makes temp.iso

shell>mount -t iso9660 temp.iso /burn/test -o loop

mounts temp.iso as a dir, I can  ls -al and I get something back, all seems
to be well in mkisofs land.

shell>cdrecord -v dev=0,5,0 speed=4 /home/burn/temp.iso

ok now it burns. and it burns well. and I can read it in my win2k box np.

I want to use my linux box to verify it first.
Like right after the read would be perfect. I already have built a small
script to do it and
it was looking promising untill I started research on how to add the verify
into the script, auto magicly.

I thought, first I need to mount this sucker, then compare it. ok mount...

shell>mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom1
/mnt/cdrom1

mount: block device /dev/cdrom1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom1,
       or too many mounted file systems

er....

so I forgot the -r, does it have to treat me so bad?

so I tried to mount another disk, one that I had written with cdrdao, low
and behold, it mounts fine.
Anything written with cdrecord craps out, well in linux anyway.

Ok so what have I tried to fix it?

I have tried turning on and off:

Rockridge, joilet mkisofs

and -isosize for cdrecord.

Don't seem to matter. windows can read this disks linux burns all day long.
but linux cannot read its own burns.

Ok guys help me out here, my first post, I've been lurking for a while its
all new to me.

dug

Post by Bill » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 13:41:40

> Ok heres a stumper, and I think its got something to do with a switch
> setting somewhere in cdrecord.

> Here's my specs:

> Redhat 7.1
> Cdrecord 1.10
> mkisofs 1.13

> Scsi bus:

> 0,3,0     3) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-ROM PX-32TS  ' '1.02' Removable CD- 0,5,0
>  5) 'YAMAHA  ' 'CRW4260         ' '1.0q' Removable CD-ROM

> Using a couple of ide drives on a p200 asus mb. blah. ok so here's the
> problem.

> I want to burn a cd....

> shell>mkisofs -J -r -o /home/burn/temp.iso /dir

> ok makes temp.iso

> shell>mount -t iso9660 temp.iso /burn/test -o loop

> mounts temp.iso as a dir, I can  ls -al and I get something back, all
> seems to be well in mkisofs land.

> shell>cdrecord -v dev=0,5,0 speed=4 /home/burn/temp.iso

> ok now it burns. and it burns well. and I can read it in my win2k box
> np.

> I want to use my linux box to verify it first. Like right after the read
> would be perfect. I already have built a small script to do it and
> it was looking promising untill I started research on how to add the
> verify into the script, auto magicly.

> I thought, first I need to mount this sucker, then compare it. ok
> mount...

> shell>mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1mount -t iso9660
> /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1

> mount: block device /dev/cdrom1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom1,
>        or too many mounted file systems

> er....

> so I forgot the -r, does it have to treat me so bad?

> so I tried to mount another disk, one that I had written with cdrdao,
> low and behold, it mounts fine.
> Anything written with cdrecord craps out, well in linux anyway.

> Ok so what have I tried to fix it?

> I have tried turning on and off:

> Rockridge, joilet mkisofs

> and -isosize for cdrecord.

> Don't seem to matter. windows can read this disks linux burns all day
> long. but linux cannot read its own burns.

> Ok guys help me out here, my first post, I've been lurking for a while
> its all new to me.

> dug

First things first, can you mount other cds that you didn't burn
yourself?

I assume /dev/cdrom1 is a symlink. Where is it pointing? /dev/scd1?

cdr linux burn reads in windows, no mount in linux

Post by yeah righ » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 07:54:38

Quote:> First things first, can you mount other cds that you didn't burn
> yourself?

ok in a nutt shell, here's what it can do.

It "can' mount normal cdrs, and cdrs burned by other machines.
It also mounted some disks I burned wth CDRDAO, but alas, now even CDRDAO
images that i burn do not mount. In other words, some abitrary event occured
and now nothing I burn in linux will mount.

So far I have tried 3 dif types of media. no dice.
Tried the -dao option with cdrecord. no dice.
I tried to go to an older version of CDRECORD 1.8 something. no dice.
Thought, hey mabye its the firmware, but its 1.0q the latest. no dice.
Tried burning at 2x. no dice.

The next step for me now is to physically remove and replace the drive with
something better/newer. it kind of makes me ill, cuase I like the fact i can
use older stuff with my box, but so be it.

Quote:

> I assume /dev/cdrom1 is a symlink. Where is it pointing? /dev/scd1?

correct/ scd0 is the beast.

Post by Dave Bro » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 16:02:27

>> First things first, can you mount other cds that you didn't burn
>> yourself?

> ok in a nutt shell, here's what it can do.

> It "can' mount normal cdrs, and cdrs burned by other machines.
> It also mounted some disks I burned wth CDRDAO, but alas, now even CDRDAO
> images that i burn do not mount. In other words, some abitrary event occured
> and now nothing I burn in linux will mount.

And why are you using DAO?  You are talking data disks, aren't you?  Or
if you're talking about music CDs, you don't mount them...

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

cdr linux burn reads in windows, no mount in linux

Post by yeah righ » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:51:06

Ok problem is solved.

What was the problem? why a dirty * laser of course!
I hope this thread helps others out with wierd read/write combos on diff
cdrom's. If its an older drive, check your laser.
My drive would write fine, but it could only be read by one drive on one of
my other machines. Coincidently, this happened to be the one drive I was
testing my burns with! After trying these disks on other, older,
less-tolerant CD-ROMs, I learned to little to late that the disks were
mangeled.
Thinking that I had a problem with linux (being new to it, blame the
operating system right?) I tried many things trying to figure out why these
disks could be read by win (that one drive) and not by linux (either of my
drives). I learned that if you look carefully at the bottom of a good burn,
and at the bottom of a bad burn (in this case) the darker/lighter areas are
much more pronounced in the good burn. Now it all works, hot dang, just like
it should. Burning iso's on the fly with command action over my network,
with not a bad disk yet.

oh  and.....> And why are you using DAO?  You are talking data disks, aren't
you?  Or

Quote:> if you're talking about music CDs, you don't mount them...

what? haha. dao is for bin *cue img thats what I use it for.
And why did I try DAO? why not, nothing else was working at the time.
Refering of course to the -dao option in cdrecord.