Dual headed X - vmware on one head, X11 on the other?

Dual headed X - vmware on one head, X11 on the other?

Post by Gabe Gre » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:22:59

Anyone know if you can run X dual-headed - with VMware (Win2k or XP
pro, in my case) taking up the entire screen of one head, and X on the
other head?  Accelerated would be preferred, but even
non-accelerated...

i think it'd be an awesome way to flex my new athlonxp 1800's
muscles.. linux and a windows VM on two monitors simultaenously... =)

Gabe

Dual headed X - vmware on one head, X11 on the other?

Post by Jonathan Kame » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 00:32:56

Quote:>Anyone know if you can run X dual-headed - with VMware (Win2k or XP
>pro, in my case) taking up the entire screen of one head, and X on the
>other head?  Accelerated would be preferred, but even
>non-accelerated...

It is possible to run a single X server on two heads at the same time,
but that's not actually want you want to do.

You want VMware to be running in full-screen mode on the second head.
VMware in full-screen mode isn't running in X -- it's talking directly
to a Linux virtual TTY.  Unfortunately, since I've never had two
monitors plugged into the same machine at the same time, I don't know
how to set up make virtual TTYs run on a second monitor.  Who knows,
maybe it happens automatically when Linux detects the second display
graphics card, but I don't know about that.

I also don't know how to explicitly tell VMware to use a specific
virtual TTY, i.e., one of the ones running on the second monitor.

Post by Ken Bloo » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 06:25:17

>>Anyone know if you can run X dual-headed - with VMware (Win2k or XP
>>pro, in my case) taking up the entire screen of one head, and X on the
>>other head?  Accelerated would be preferred, but even
>>non-accelerated...

> It is possible to run a single X server on two heads at the same time,
> but that's not actually want you want to do.

> You want VMware to be running in full-screen mode on the second head.
> VMware in full-screen mode isn't running in X -- it's talking directly
> to a Linux virtual TTY.  Unfortunately, since I've never had two
> monitors plugged into the same machine at the same time, I don't know
> how to set up make virtual TTYs run on a second monitor.  Who knows,
> maybe it happens automatically when Linux detects the second display
> graphics card, but I don't know about that.

> I also don't know how to explicitly tell VMware to use a specific
> virtual TTY, i.e., one of the ones running on the second monitor.

If you don't know anything, why did you say something?

Post by r.. » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:51:26

> Anyone know if you can run X dual-headed - with VMware (Win2k or XP
> pro, in my case) taking up the entire screen of one head, and X on the
> other head?  Accelerated would be preferred, but even
> non-accelerated...

It's not the most elegant solution, but it shouldn't be too difficult
to configure a second X server for your second card to run on the
(yep, you guessed it) second monitor, and just have a script to load
whatever app you wanted automatically.

Ross Vandegrift

Dual headed X - vmware on one head, X11 on the other?

Post by Jonathan Kame » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 11:21:32

Quote:>If you don't know anything, why did you say something?

If you were just going to be obnoxious, why didn't you say nothing?

I was trying to give the original poster an important information,
i.e., that he wasn't actually trying to do what he said he was trying
to do -- his goal is not actually to run VMware on a second X display,
it is to run VMware on a Linux virtual TTY, which should be possible
without setting up a second X display.  I was attempting to give the
original poster a suggestion about what information he should be
seeking.

Dual headed X - vmware on one head, X11 on the other?

Post by J » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 07:46:41

set up a second X server on your second head (youu can configure it with a
second USB keyboard and mouse) so you can use it as if it's a second PC.
Load vmware .... u know the rest.
Take a look at:

www.linuxplaent.com there is a HOWTO:Multiple local XFree users under Linux

I don't have the exact link, but I guess you'll find it.
It's for X 4.0, but I think it'll work with newer X too.

I was thinking about setting smthg like this up someday too, so if u have
any luck pls mail me.

Post by Mikko Rauha » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 08:25:03

Quote:> Anyone know if you can run X dual-headed - with VMware (Win2k or XP
> pro, in my case) taking up the entire screen of one head, and X on the
> other head?  Accelerated would be preferred, but even
> non-accelerated...

Aside from running a second, separate X server, you can run a
traditional multihead configuration (without Xinerama), so that your
monitors will have DISPLAY numbers :x.0 and :x.1 (x probably being
0). Then you can run a regular X window manager on the other display
and only the vmware process on the other (be sure to give appropriate
parameters to the program so that it starts maximized). Cursor and
focus moves transparently between the displays, and clipboard also
works (if, of course, vmware supports that on hosted Windows). Oh,
and you'll need XFree86 4.x for this, with supported card(s).
Acceleration should work as usual.

'course, the approach with two X servers would be more suitable
if you wish to have two consoles, one running Linux and one Windows.
However, I get the feeling that you want to control them both nicely
from one keyboard and mouse, and this should let you do just that.

--

1. Dual Heads (well actually one head, and a VT320)

I have a Sparc 10 with Solaris 7 here at home, with a standard Sun Head
on it, and that is no problem. I'd like to add a VT320 terminal I have
on to /dev/cua. I almost have it working but would like some
suggestions, before I "fix" it. I can do a "/etc/getty cua 9600" and I
get a login prompt on the terminal, it won't let me login and gives me:

No utmpx entry. You must exec "login" from the lowest level shell.

Before I just add this to a script in /etc/rc3.d. What am I missing?
last time I played with dual terminals like this it was SunOS 4.1.3 so
I'm a little rusty.

--
[www.nerdhive.org]

Directory: /export/org/nerdhive         Shell: /bin/sh
Project: To fully calculate the value of pi, before I die.

2. Link Aggregation (IEEE 802.1Q)

3. Dual Head, no Xinerama, one mouse?

4. help me to set the printer

5. ihhd (internet head to head dailer)

6. lilo and cylinder 1023

7. dual CDE desktops on dual head 2.6

8. Network Management

9. dual head + dual card: agp nvidia/geforce_256 and pci s3virge

10. where and how to get X11 head files

11. On-board ATI Rage Pro in dual-head configuration

12. x86 2.5 - dual-headed?

13. dual-head with Xinerama - please help