Upp'd to Win'95, lost LICO

Post by Rob Mo » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

I upped to Win '95.  Now I don't get a choice for LINUX or dos.  What to do?
ddddd

Upp'd to Win'95, lost LICO

Post by Robert Hell » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

  In a message on 15 May 1996 17:21:22 -0600, wrote :

RM> I upped to Win '95.  Now I don't get a choice for LINUX or dos.  What to do?
RM> ddddd

Dig out your boot/root install (floppy) disks (all you need is the boot) or the
boot floppy you made at the end of the Linux install process.  Boot the machine
from floppy (if using the boot install floppy, type something like

mount root=/dev/hda2

at the Boot: prompt.)

Once the machine is up, login as root and type:

/etc/lilo/install

Then

shutdown -r now

(remove the floppy from the drive!)

LILO should now be restored.

--
                                     \/

http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller  ||FidoNet:    1:321/153
http://netmar.com/mall/shops/heller  /\

Upp'd to Win'95, lost LICO

Post by Javier Gostling » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

: I upped to Win '95.  Now I don't get a choice for LINUX or dos.  What to do?
: ddddd

The same happened to me when I upgraded. Get a Linux bootdisk, boot linux
and run LILO. If you don't have a linux bootdisk, uninstall Win 95, make
one, reinstall Win 95 and follow the prior procedure. (*, but what the
hell...)

-Javier

1. Upp'd to Win '95, Lost LILO

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! Uninstall win95? I think not.
Get this file:

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/bootdsks.144/...

use this program to write it to a floppy from DOS:

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/install/RAWRI...

boot with that floppy.  At the lilo boot: prompt type 'mount root=/dev/hda1' or
whatever device contains your linux system. Once in Linux run lilo.  Voila.  No
uninstall of winblows 95, just a little bit of hassle.

I think the above file (bare) is not in compressed format.  If the disk does not
boot then get this file:

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/install/GZIP.EXE

to uncompress 'bare' in DOS-- 'gzip -d bare'.

Javier-- Next time someone has a problem, try thinking before you recommend they
do a major uninstall of win95.

Brian "I suggest you make a boot disk of your own" Kimball

--
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day; teach a man to
fish, and he eats for a lifetime.

2. Sleep mode for IDE drives?

3. *** lilo won't boot win' 95 ***

4. Max number of TCP connected sockets?

5. 'Help, I need to repartition a full HDD from win 95'

6. Reindexing with Netscape Enterprise Server

7. Why won't win 95 enforce authentication from my nmb/smb servers.

8. Newbie help needed installing CERN on a NeXT

9. HELP: Lost Linux after reinstalling windows'95

10. IT Jul/95 cdrom - where is 'grabit or 'it' ?

11. URGENT: lost 'rsh', 'smb', and 'cd ~'

12. Losing internet & intranet connectivity, connection won't recycle, can't regain without reboot

13. CGI's won't run - Apache Newbie Lost and Presumed Dead