can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

Post by David M. Co » Tue, 28 May 1996 04:00:00

When trying to execute a pre-compiled elf binary (slrn) I get the error

can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

I've installed Slackware 3.0, the kernel sources and set up the links as
described in the linux FAQ.  But it looks like I'm still missing
something.  Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Dave Cook

can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

Post by Ted Pavli » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

> When trying to execute a pre-compiled elf binary (slrn) I get the error

> can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

> I've installed Slackware 3.0, the kernel sources and set up the links as
> described in the linux FAQ.  But it looks like I'm still missing
> something.  Any ideas out there?

Sounds like you need new libc's - Download some new ones off of:

sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/GCC/

(look for the latest version - like libc-5.3.12.bin.tar.gz - for example. This is
the pre-compiled version and probably the easiest to install - but if it doesn't
install properly - you may just have to download the source and compile - no
biggie.

Once you get these and install them (just "tar -zxvf libc-..." from your /
directory) you may just have to download the latest ld.so from the same place:

sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/GCC/

Try looking for the latest version, of course, (example: ld.so-1.7.14.tar.gz) and I
doubt you'll find a pre-compiled version, but no fear - most ld.so-... files will
have a script inside them that will do all the work for you. Look in the README
file that accompanies this ld.so archive for more details.

Once you've installed the ld.so, make sure you do:

ldconfig -v

You could do this from your / directory - but it really shouldn't make a
difference.

I hope this helps! If you haven't already, I'd download the latest gcc out of that
/pub/Linux/GCC directory as well.

You see - unlike DOS - where you have to keep upgrading all your binaries to
upgrade your system, with Linux you just have to keep installing new kernels and
upgrading your important libraries, like libc and gcc files, and it'll be eqivalent
to upgrading your entire DOS system. Again - you see - every Linux/UNIX program has
an associated (or a few) library that goes along with it. It looks in your /lib
directory for the version you have and uses it. Now, of course, if it was created
with a higher version than you have - you most likely will have troubles. To prove
this, (don't do this unless you know how to fix it!!) if someone was to rename
their /lib directory or delete all the links in that directory or something similar
to this - every program they tried to use after that would fail. They would keep
giving the user trouble and more trouble - hense - errors and nothing else. In this
case, someone would have to boot off a system disk and restore the links, if they
still had the files those links go to, but I wouldn't try this as an educational
experience if I were you. ;)

I hope all that helps!

BTW - sunsite.unc.edu (as well as tsx-11.mit.edu and a few other sites should
always have the latest libraries 'n' such)

All the best to ya'! Take care -

--

.        home phone: 1.614.766.2326 : work phone: 1.614.798.9104
.           MegaLinx Communications : http://www.megalinx.net

can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

Post by David M. Co » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Sounds like you need new libc's - Download some new ones off of:

Thanks, but I still can't get slang to compile.

Dave Cook

can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

Post by David M. Co » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

>>Sounds like you need new libc's - Download some new ones off of:
>Thanks, but I still can't get slang to compile.

Oops, I got confused about what I was trying to accomplish.  Your
suggestion did get the pre-compiled slrn binary running.

Thanks,

Dave Cook

1. can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

I recently upgraded my kernel to 2.0.0, as well as teh assorted packages
required to get it to run. (gcc2.7.2, libc-5.2.18, binutils-2.6.0.14,
ld.so-1.7.14, sysvinit-2.62, util-linux-2.5)

I also upgraded sendmail to 8.7.5.

After the upgrade, whenever I sent mail I got the error message
 can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

Oddly, I didn't have the problem if I sent mail as root.

"No problem," I said. "I'll just use my old binary." Which I did.

Then I decided that I needed a mail reader. So I downloaded the source
for slrn and slang, compiled everything, and ran it.

Once again I was faced with the message:
 can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

Oddly, the program runs if I'm root or use sudo.

gdb reports the following:
Starting program: /usr/src/slrn/src/objs/./slrn
/usr/src/slrn/src/objs/./slrn: can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

0x400025c0 in Blank_Hash ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x400025c0 in Blank_Hash ()
#1  0x400058a4 in Blank_Hash ()
#2  0x40003afc in Blank_Hash ()
#3  0x400019cf in Blank_Hash ()
#4  0x1 in ?? ()

Any ideas?

Later,
-B

--
Brandon High    http://www.ccnet.com/~bjhigh    Down with Big Brother!

--
"Hey Bullwinkle, watch me exhale my guts!" - Jeffrey D Smith

2. mknod syntax Question

3. ifconfig: can't resolve symbol: '_h_errno'???

4. solaris 8 (intel) Sol Management Console

5. XEmacs 19.13 ELF: can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

6. how to autocorrela a real valued sequence using FFTW

7. can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

8. Accurate timing of processes

9. can't resolve symbol: '_H_Errno'

10. can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

11. Cant resolve symbol '_h_errno'

12. sendmail: unable to resolve symbol: _h_errno - What's wrong?

13. Netscape 3.0x and 'Can't resolve symbol'