Interfacing musical instrument?

Post by Martin Carmicha » Wed, 07 Dec 1994 10:42:12

I would like to get some ideas where to start looking for documentation
on physical interface with a linux box (scsi-serial).

My goal is to set-up a link with my acoustic piano, to get noticed
whenever I play a note on the piano keyboard. That is it : being noticed
from some "interface" (scsi, serial, ...) when events occurs.

I could even interface trough the PC keyboard slot, if it recongnize the
fact that 10 keys can be pressed simultaneously.

Can  somebody suggestion can be caught here?

Many thanks!
--
Martin Carmichael
Montreal

Post by MICHAEL NIEME » Thu, 08 Dec 1994 18:28:45

: I would like to get some ideas where to start looking for documentation
: on physical interface with a linux box (scsi-serial).

: My goal is to set-up a link with my acoustic piano, to get noticed
: whenever I play a note on the piano keyboard. That is it : being noticed
: from some "interface" (scsi, serial, ...) when events occurs.

: I could even interface trough the PC keyboard slot, if it recongnize the
: fact that 10 keys can be pressed simultaneously.

: Can  somebody suggestion can be caught here?

: Many thanks!
: --
: Martin Carmichael
: Montreal

Ever heard of MIDI (Musical instruents digital interface ?)
.) Make your instrument send MIDI data. i.e. buy a MIDI-keyboard or a
   MIDI-piano. I think it is even possible to install a MIDI device
   into a normal piano.
.) Make your computer receive MIDI data. i.e. purchase a MIDI interface
   (please no SB ... get yourself a Roland compatible, SB is NO Standard)
.) Have fun setting up the software !!! I'm just struggeling with the
   MPU driver under Linux (by the way : any advice/help/experiences from
   anyone ... MAIL ME !! I run Linux 1.1.53 with sound extensions and
   a Roland MPU-IPC-T)

.) good luck

mlg.mn
--
            ______     __
         __(___ / __  /

1. static with musical sounds (but voice is ok)

Hi all-

I've recently been trying to setup sound on my RedHat 5.1 system. The
soundcard is an OEM, PnP sound/modem board that came in my NEC computer.
I've established that its a winmodem, so that's a no-go. The sound,
however works just fine on voice only sound files (I've tried both .wav
and .au). However .mp2, Real Audio, and .wav or .au (that contain music)
files come out _extremely_ staticy and distorted. I've tried using Sox,
maplay, x11amp, rvplayer and Sound Studio (which is just a front end for
sox, I think).

If anyone has any ideas on how to remedy this, I'd be most appreciative.
The software is as follows:

RedHat 5.1
Isapnptools 1.15
Kernel 2.0.35

Other possibly relevent info:

A cat /dev/sndstat provides:
Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630
Kernel: Linux willow.cyberwebs.net 2.0.35 #1 Sun Oct 18 22:34:10 PDT
1998 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster Pro (3.1)

Synth devices:

Midi devices:
0: MPU-401 (UART) MIDI
1: Sound Blaster

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

lsmod gives:
nls_cp437          1  1 (autoclean)
vfat               4  1 (autoclean)
fat                6 [vfat] 1 (autoclean)
sb                 6  0
uart401            2 [sb] 0
sound             16 [sb uart401] 0

2. Netscape 4.05

3. Musical Mouse chairs

4. boot kernel panic with 2.5.37

5. Musical IRQs

6. Core Dump Error on NFS Partition

7. musical Unix?

8. smail2.5

9. Playing Audio/Musical CD with Workman on 2.6

10. applications to work with synthesizers and[musical] keyboards

11. Wanted: Musical notation editor for Linux

12. Musical IRQs Revisited

13. musical disk partions