RPM's

Post by TimC » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I seem to have a bit of a problem with unsatisfied dependencies when
installing rpm's.  I often get the unsatisfied dependencies libc.so.6
and libm.so.6 but both are in the lib/lib directory, and glibc-2.1.1 is
definitely installed.  I am totally stumped, any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance
TCJ.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

RPM's

Post by Jean-David Beye » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I seem to have a bit of a problem with unsatisfied dependencies when
> installing rpm's.  I often get the unsatisfied dependencies libc.so.6
> and libm.so.6 but both are in the lib/lib directory, and glibc-2.1.1 is
> definitely installed.  I am totally stumped, any help appreciated!

> Thanks in advance
> TCJ.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Should not your .so files bin in /lib, not /lib/lib? (I mean most of them,
like those.)

Could your libraries have been installed by means other than rpm? So that
rpm does not know they are there?

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.

RPM's

Post by TimCJarret » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thankyou for your reply, I made a bit of a mistake in my posting as the .so
files are actually in the /lib directory!  I think I might just try and
install the packages without checking the dependencies, as the RPM database
may not be working correctly even though I have rebuilt it

Thanks,
TCJ..

> > I seem to have a bit of a problem with unsatisfied dependencies when
> > installing rpm's.  I often get the unsatisfied dependencies libc.so.6
> > and libm.so.6 but both are in the lib/lib directory, and glibc-2.1.1 is
> > definitely installed.  I am totally stumped, any help appreciated!

> > Thanks in advance
> > TCJ.

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

> Should not your .so files bin in /lib, not /lib/lib? (I mean most of them,
> like those.)

> Could your libraries have been installed by means other than rpm? So that
> rpm does not know they are there?

> --
>  .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
>  /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
> /( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
> ^^-^^  11:35am up 20:49, 1 user, load average: 2.07, 2.12, 2.09

RPM's

Post by Michel Catuda » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

TimCJ a crit :

Quote:

> I seem to have a bit of a problem with unsatisfied dependencies when
> installing rpm's.  I often get the unsatisfied dependencies libc.so.6
> and libm.so.6 but both are in the lib/lib directory, and glibc-2.1.1 is
> definitely installed.  I am totally stumped, any help appreciated!

> Thanks in advance
> TCJ.

Which distribution do you have?
I have found out that many RedHat RPM won't install on SuSE because of a few differences.
Looking at the SPEC file may give you a clue at to what is needed. Often also the RPM that
you may find was compiled for a particular environment which may be fairly different than
yours. All the packager needs to mess things up is to have a program upgraded and require
that particular upgrade in the package and you're screwed.
Recompiling the package often fix this but you may have to modify the SPEC file to do so.

--
Tired of Microsoft's rebootive multitasking?
then it's time to upgrade to Linux.

1. rpm: not found 'packages.rpm'

I run Slackware, and I need to be able to run rpm to install rpm
packages (duh). un-tarzipped the distribution package i got from the
sunsite site, and now when i do

rpm -i apcahe-blah-blah

it says:

# rpm -i ghostview-1.5-6.i386.rpm
failed to open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

error: cannot open /var/lib/rpm//packages.rpm

--

what is wrong?

the howto's dont have much help for idiots.

PLEEZE?>

thank you.

2. basic calendar program

3. RPM doesn't create any RPM's

4. 1.1.51 kernel/SEGMENTATION FAULT

5. suse rpm's vs. RH rpm's

6. HP NetRaid controller on NetServer LH 3

7. rpm upgraded - kpackage won't read packages.rpm

8. -ksh

9. RPM won't upgrade RPM!

10. Installed enlightenment with rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps *.rpm, but it won't run.

11. RPM: can't open packages.rpm

12. redhat rpm error: can't install or update rpms

13. RPM won't install glibc rpm errata for 5.2