CD-RW cannot play audio CD

CD-RW cannot play audio CD

Post by Wenj » Mon, 17 Feb 2003 23:34:41



Greetings! After two week's work, I have made the Linux
box work as I want. The only 'blocking' problem, if any,
is that the XMMS/KsCD won't play audio CD from the CD-RW.

I use realpayer and it works fine. I use CD-RW for CD-ROM
or cd record and it works fine too. sndconfig works fine.

In the fstab:
/dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom  iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
ls -l /dev/cdrom:
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root 4  2  7 23:07 /dev/cdrom -> scd0

No sound could be heard from both the speaker or the
earphone connected to the CD-RW drive's front jacket.

I checked the small cable connection from CD-RW to Sound
Blaster Live 5.1 card: should be OK.

What could be wrong? Your helps are greatly appreciated.

 
 
 

CD-RW cannot play audio CD

Post by David Efflan » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:28:26



Quote:> Greetings! After two week's work, I have made the Linux
> box work as I want. The only 'blocking' problem, if any,
> is that the XMMS/KsCD won't play audio CD from the CD-RW.

> I use realpayer and it works fine. I use CD-RW for CD-ROM
> or cd record and it works fine too. sndconfig works fine.

> In the fstab:
> /dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom  iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> ls -l /dev/cdrom:
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root 4  2  7 23:07 /dev/cdrom -> scd0

> No sound could be heard from both the speaker or the
> earphone connected to the CD-RW drive's front jacket.

> I checked the small cable connection from CD-RW to Sound
> Blaster Live 5.1 card: should be OK.

> What could be wrong? Your helps are greatly appreciated.

Have you checked your mixer settings to see if CD source is turned down or
muted?  But something is strange if you cannot even hear anything on the
headphone jack of the drive itself (is the drive LED on while you think it
is running).  Maybe the user you are running as in not in the necessary
group to operate it.

--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/  http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

 
 
 

CD-RW cannot play audio CD

Post by Wenjie ZHA » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:50:05




>Have you checked your mixer settings to see if CD source is turned down or
>muted?  But something is strange if you cannot even hear anything on the
>headphone jack of the drive itself (is the drive LED on while you think it
>is running).  Maybe the user you are running as in not in the necessary
>group to operate it.

Thanks David. I use Kmix as a front end and the volume has been put to
maximum. Is there any other setting instead of it?

I think you perhaps are right presuming that I had an inappropriate
group user setting. Before I test it as root, could you please provide
me some hints on a proper user/group setting? Which kinds of apps are
concerned?

TIA,
Wenjie

 
 
 

CD-RW cannot play audio CD

Post by Wenj » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:10:39





> >Have you checked your mixer settings to see if CD source is turned down or
> >muted?  But something is strange if you cannot even hear anything on the
> >headphone jack of the drive itself (is the drive LED on while you think it
> >is running).  Maybe the user you are running as in not in the necessary
> >group to operate it.

> Thanks David. I use Kmix as a front end and the volume has been put to
> maximum. Is there any other setting instead of it?

> I think you perhaps are right presuming that I had an inappropriate
> group user setting. Before I test it as root, could you please provide
> me some hints on a proper user/group setting? Which kinds of apps are
> concerned?

> TIA,
> Wenjie

Thanks all. It is what I ignored (from David's previous post) that took
me away. I point the red light button to 'CD IN' item in the KMix config,
everything's just working!

There are always surprises :-)

 
 
 

1. broken 2.2 IDE CD-RW (was Re: plain 2.2.X: no ide CD-RW?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1


Sorry, I was referring to the backport of the 2.4 IDE code to 2.2.
I'm currently using ide.2.2.19.05042001 successfully, which I got from:

  ftp://ftp.us.kernel.org:/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/ide-2.2.19

I've used several similar patches, though.  Stock 2.4 kernels work
fine with my CD-RW as well; however, I've now discovered that plain
2.2 kernels do not.  This could easily be a long-standing problem,
probably at least a year old - I've only recently stumbled across it,
though.

Since I have a solution (use the 2.4 IDE backport), this isn't
critical; however, since many people still rely on 2.2, and I'd like
to use a stock 2.2 kernel if possible, I'm willing to spend some time
debugging this.

Thanks!

  --Anil

(A bit of background: Before I got my CD-RW drive last summer, I
bought an OnStream DI-30 drive.  This drive was then only supported on
2.2 with the 2.4 IDE backport, and so I've used this drive
successfully with 2.2.16 + 2.4 IDE patch, and a similar combination
since.  Since stock 2.2.19+ now support this drive through the osst
patch, I thought I'd try it out.  It does work, but at the cost of
losing my CD-RW.)

- --

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~soma
+1 505 872 3150
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAjs2h2AACgkQXOpXEmNZ3SfOlwCfb+it3YQrmO2e9q14AZMhcdZo
M+0An3Mi8aoEkvjD5vhC3Hc6yaICrMDE
=cV6C
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

2. Win Nt kills linix in real world high end=

3. SCSI CD-RW: yamaha 4416s: HowTo REWrite CD-RW's?

4. 2.4.19-pre8 apic_timer_irqs cacheline bouncing

5. CD-RW support specifically with NEC NR 7700A CD-RW drive

6. problem with FWTK

7. ide-scsi cd-rw woes (creative cd-rw blaster)

8. PPP Howto.....

9. Can LG CD-RW CED-8080B write audio CD's in RedHat 7.2?

10. CD-RW disc causing cannot mount cd error.

11. Reading CD-R & CD-RW with an ATAPI HP 7200e CD-Writer on RH 6.0...

12. Help playing audio CD's on my CD-ROM drive

13. SCSI 3X CD occasionally gets confused playing audio CD's