If REDHAT is listening, suggestions for Redhat 5.1

If REDHAT is listening, suggestions for Redhat 5.1

Post by Bernie Borenste » Mon, 09 Mar 1998 04:00:00

There are two changes I would like to see in Redhat 5.1.
The first is :

Provide an FDISK in linux that recognizes type E and F partitions
that are created by windows 95 fdisk.  I had to backup and recreate
them as type 5 and 6 (no INT13 extensions) so I could install
Redhat 5.  FDISK must keep up with what's happening in windows95.
Also I don't know if FDISK recognizes FAT32 partitions, but if
it doesn't it should.

Provide a kernel with FAT32 built in.  There are more and
more posts about accessing FAT32 partitions.  This
support should be built into the kernel and not have to
be patched in.

--
Bernie Borenstein
Boeing - Douglas Products Division

Post by Brion Vibbe » Mon, 09 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> There are two changes I would like to see in Redhat 5.1.

Just a thought but... if you want stuff in Red Hat, I recommend sending
your suggestions _to_ Red Hat directly. Of course there is nothing wrong
with telling us too!

Quote:> The first is :

> Provide an FDISK in linux that recognizes type E and F partitions
> that are created by windows 95 fdisk.  I had to backup and recreate
> them as type 5 and 6 (no INT13 extensions) so I could install
> Redhat 5.  FDISK must keep up with what's happening in windows95.
> Also I don't know if FDISK recognizes FAT32 partitions, but if
> it doesn't it should.

This is something that should be in fdisk in general, not just a Red Hat
thing. Type B FAT32 partitions are recognized by the current fdisk, but
AFAIK it doesn't support MS's stupid new partition type #s for unchanged
partition types. Howevere there is no need to recreate the partitions!
Just use Linux's fdisk to change the partition type back to 5 or 6, since
the new types are identical to the old (at least according to MS's web
site)

This would probably be fairly easy to change in the kernel
(although I'm not a kernel hacker so I don't know for sure). I'm not sure
whether fdisk would actually need to be changed, I'm not 100% sure how its
internals work.

Quote:> Provide a kernel with FAT32 built in.  There are more and
> more posts about accessing FAT32 partitions.  This
> support should be built into the kernel and not have to
> be patched in.

I agree with you 100% on this one! Slackware has included a FAT32 kernel
for quite some time. When I installed the brand new Red Hat 5 for the
first time I was shocked to find that it had no FAT32 support - especially
since I'd spent about an hour downloading Red Hat onto my hard drive to
install it from, but couldn't because it was a FAT32 partition.
(Fortunately Red Hat does have the FTP install option so I was able to
install anyway, but it took longer than I planned).

Post by Frank Sweetse » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> > Provide a kernel with FAT32 built in.  There are more and
> > more posts about accessing FAT32 partitions.  This
> > support should be built into the kernel and not have to
> > be patched in.

> I agree with you 100% on this one! Slackware has included a FAT32 kernel
> for quite some time. When I installed the brand new Red Hat 5 for the
> first time I was shocked to find that it had no FAT32 support - especially
> since I'd spent about an hour downloading Red Hat onto my hard drive to
> install it from, but couldn't because it was a FAT32 partition.
> (Fortunately Red Hat does have the FTP install option so I was able to
> install anyway, but it took longer than I planned).

there's a modified redhat boot.img out there that has both fat32 and joliet
support on it.  I should have a link to it at
paramount.res.wpi.net/linux.html

paramount.res.wpi.net RH 5.0 kernel 2.0.33/2.1.89p5 i586 | at public servers
Sam:  What's new, Norm?
Norm: Most of my wife.
                -- Cheers, The Spy Who Came in for a Cold One

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>> > Provide a kernel with FAT32 built in.  There are more and
>> > more posts about accessing FAT32 partitions.  This
>> > support should be built into the kernel and not have to
>> > be patched in.

>> I agree with you 100% on this one! Slackware has included a FAT32 kernel
>> for quite some time. When I installed the brand new Red Hat 5 for the
>> first time I was shocked to find that it had no FAT32 support - especially
>> since I'd spent about an hour downloading Red Hat onto my hard drive to
>> install it from, but couldn't because it was a FAT32 partition.
>> (Fortunately Red Hat does have the FTP install option so I was able to
>> install anyway, but it took longer than I planned).

> there's a modified redhat boot.img out there that has both fat32 and joliet
> support on it.  I should have a link to it at
> paramount.res.wpi.net/linux.html

It's on my web page at:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith/rhjol.html

While this will allow installing from FAT-32, it's not a complete
solution; most of the posts I see about FAT-32 want access to FAT-32
partitions *AFTER* installation is complete, and my modified install
floppy doesn't help with that.  Now if somebody would put together an
appropriate RPM, I'm sure it would help a lot of newbies; otherwise it's
necessary to patch and recompile the kernel (or recompile a recent 2.1.x
kernel).

What's the timetable on the release of the 2.2 kernel?  Once it's out, I
imagine all future Red Hat releases will include it, and hence FAT-32
support.

--
Rod Smith                                 Author of:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith       "OS/2 Soundcard Summary"
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

If REDHAT is listening, suggestions for Redhat 5.1

Post by adle » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Ro

More understandable Xfree86 documentation

                     \\\|///
                   \\  - -  //

     /------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo-------------\
     |                                      |
     |                                      |
     |         Walter L. Williams           |
     |                                      |
     |            of Utah, USA              |
     |                                      |

     |                                      |
     |         A Linux O.S. Junkie          |
     |                                      |
     \---------------------Oooo-------------/
                    oooO   (   )
                   (   )    ) /
                    \ (    (_/
                     \_)
     This message was sent with Netscape V4.04
                     on Linux.

1. Upgrading from Redhat 4.2 to 5.1 remotely - suggestions??

I'm considering upgrading my system from Redhat 4.2 to 5.1.  The version of
4.2 is vanilla - no recompiled kernel, no additional packages - it's
straight off the FTP site from last June.

Here's the hitch - the machine is in a secure server room which I don't
have routine access to - it's a bit of a haul over there, and I have to
coordinate with the site manager to get in the room.  So I want to do the
upgrade remotely, telnetting in from home, gaining root access vi "su",
and proceeding with the upgrade.

Is this doable?  Reasonable?

I want to do this in such a way as to minimize the chances of crashing
the system - I'd like to avoid having the system off-line for hours or
more until I get access.  The way I'd like to proceed is:

1) Replace the 2.0.30 kernel with 2.0.34-pre using rpm -U to
   (Note - there are no IDE hard drives on the system, although the floppy
    and CD are on the IDE chain.  The SCSI Drivers and ethernet card are
    handled as modules ...

2) Begin replacing system packages by manually running rpm -U in a
   reasonable order - hopefully there are no circular dependancies in the
   RPMS files.
   (Question:  in order for "-U" to uninstall previous versions, do I
   need the *old* .rpm file from v4.2 on disk as well as the v5.1 version,
   or is the package information available without the old .rpm file present?)

3) reboot (shutdown -r now) and hopefully have the new v5.1 system come up.

The system is used as a web server and telnet host for about a half dozen
users.  We don't use X-Windows (yet); there are no dial-in lines; if I
can get it to a state where the system boots and telnet, mail, ftp, and
httpd are running, I'm in good shape - I can bang on the other packages
piecemeal.

So, am I nuts, or is this a reasonable way to proceed.  (I'm also concerned
about lib5/lib6/glibc conflicts I've seen talkes about - I want to know that
when I reboot remotely, I'll get a system back up that I can telnet back into).

Many thanks in advance.

----
Mike Heney

2. How 2 install a internal ADSL-modem ???

3. Redhat 5.1 in 4 Meg of RAM on a 386...am I insane?

4. Master Boot Record

5. upgrade from Redhat Linux 5.0 to redhat linux 5.1

6. can not connect to isp

7. RedHat 5.0 to RedHat 5.1

8. Release Management

9. Redhat 5.0 --> Redhat 5.1

10. upgrade from Redhat 5.0 to Redhat 5.1

11. Redhat 5.0 v's Redhat 5.1

12. uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux

13. redhat 5.1 and gs 5.10