Question re RedHat 4.1 (intel) & Kernel RPM's

Question re RedHat 4.1 (intel) & Kernel RPM's

Post by Richard Cob » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

First, an apology.  I looked through Dejanews to see if I could find
anything on this first, but I've got a final in less than 30 minutes,
and I don't have time to search through everything.

So: my question.

I'm running RedHat 4.1 on a Pentium.  I installed the kernel-*-2.0.27
packages during the system install, but I've since upgraded to
2.0.30.  I no longer have the kernel-*-2.0.27 packages installed, so
as a result, kernelcfg is broken.  (It complains that it's missing the
module-info capability, which I think is in the kernel-* packages.)

So: if I need to recompile my kernel for whatever reason, should I
just leave the RPM's installed and recompile over top of them, or
what?

I do have some reason to recompile the kernel, actually:
   a) I only have 16M ram, so the less system stuff I run, the more
      room I have for applications
   b) I have a SoundBlaster CDROM, and I need to edit
      include/linux/sbpcd.h to remove some of the more annoying
      features (auto-eject, mostly), since there don't appear to be
      module parameters which control these features.

Bottom line: should I always have some (mutually consistent) set of
kernel-*-x.x.xx.i386.rpm's installed, regardless of the version of the
kernel I'm currently running?  Should I build my own RPM's of the
kernel?  (I've built RPMs before, but of much smaller packages.)

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

(Here's where I push the limits of tact: I'm going to lose my ethernet
connection on May 11 or 12 (going home for the summer), so quick
replies, ideally cc'd to my email address, would be most appreciated.)

Thanks in advance for any help,

Richard

1. 'Unknown PCI device' and 'Keyboard timeout' with RedHat 4.1

I'm trying to get Red Hat 4.1 installed on my P200MMX PC, but it falls over at
the first hurdle. I've tried two ways to install it:

1. Create a LINUX boot disk using 'rawrite' and the supplied disk image. When
   I boot from this I get 'Loading LINUX' and about 5 dots, then it appears to
   hang.
2. Boot from a DOS disk, then run 'autoboot.bat' on the CD, which calls
   'loadlin'. This loads LINUX OK, then gives me screens of info, including 5
   lines which say 'Unknown PCI device'. Further on it says 'Keyboard timeout';
   this appears 3 times before it continues. When it gets to the 'Are you using
   a colour monitor?' screen I can't type anything. Even the numlock key
   doesn't work.

- I'm assuming in case (2) that rather than hanging the installation is sitting
  there waiting for me to enter something, but since it didn't recognise the
  keyboard I can't type anything.

My machine is a P200MMX on a SuperMicro P5 PCI motherboard (it's a Vale
Platinum SE from Evesham Micros, UK). As far as I'm aware there's nothing
strange or non-standard about it. Currently it's running Win95 OSR2. One issue
is that I'm using FAT-32, but the above problem seems to be more fundamental
than that.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I can't find any boot parameters that appear
relevant, so I'm a bit stuck what to try next.

Thanks,

Dan.

2. Registering a .com domain. What steps to do?

3. RedHat 4.1 won't use my newly compiled kernel!

4. PPP without Morning star

5. a new user's question about Redhat 4.1

6. PPP connects but can't ping anyone

7. Redhat 4.1: BOOTING & Lilo question

8. Mercury 1.30 won't talk to Linux sometimes

9. Open Sound System & RedHat 4.1 & elf-binaries-self-extracting

10. RedHat 4.1 Error msg & screensacer & lock problem.

11. notebook ams & redhat 4.1 & mouse

12. RedHat 4.1 RPM Files not recognized in Setup

13. RPM RedHat 4.1 problems...