RH71 + Promise Ultra 100 + UDMA + Software RAID

RH71 + Promise Ultra 100 + UDMA + Software RAID

Post by Joshua Butche » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:35:28

I am using a kernel I compiled optimized for my K6-3 450.  It is based on
RedHats 2.4.3-12 source.

When I let it enable DMA for my Promise it works well for a while, but then
I start getting BAD DMA Status, 'Kernel unable to handle paging requests'
and attempts to read/write beyond the end of the device.

When I disable UDMA all this goes away.

I *thought* that Linux Kernel 2.4 was supposed to cure these issues.  Maybe
I was wrong, however - I would like to enable UDMA for my drives.

Don't know if this has something to do with it, but I have three raid
devcies setup all together over the two drives connected to the promise
controller, they are both 30 Gig Maxtor UDMA 100 drives.  md0,md1, and md2
for /home /usr and /var

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Joshua

RH71 + Promise Ultra 100 + UDMA + Software RAID

Post by Steve Holdowa » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 01:15:01

This went away when I upgraded to 2.4.4 IIRC. In 2.4.5, UDMA didn't
work at all for me, but everything's working just fine in 2.4.7.

HTH

Steve
On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:35:28 -0400, "Joshua Butcher"

Post by Dave Uhrin » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 06:44:12

> This went away when I upgraded to 2.4.4 IIRC. In 2.4.5, UDMA didn't
> work at all for me, but everything's working just fine in 2.4.7.

> HTH

> Steve
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:35:28 -0400, "Joshua Butcher"

>>I am using a kernel I compiled optimized for my K6-3 450.  It is based
>>on RedHats 2.4.3-12 source.

>>When I let it enable DMA for my Promise it works well for a while, but
>>then I start getting BAD DMA Status, 'Kernel unable to handle paging
>>requests' and attempts to read/write beyond the end of the device.

>>When I disable UDMA all this goes away.

>>I *thought* that Linux Kernel 2.4 was supposed to cure these issues.
>>Maybe I was wrong, however - I would like to enable UDMA for my
>>drives.

>>Don't know if this has something to do with it, but I have three raid
>>devcies setup all together over the two drives connected to the
>>promise
>>controller, they are both 30 Gig Maxtor UDMA 100 drives.  md0,md1, and
>>md2 for /home /usr and /var

>>Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

>>Joshua

Which chip do you have on that Promise 100 controller?  I am trying to
use the Ultra100 Tx2 interface and having no luck whatever.  And tech
support at Promise tells me it will be another month or more before
Linux drivers are available for the PDC20268 chip.  The Linux kernel
has support for the PDC20267 chip, but they do not appear to be
compatible.

1. UDMA 5 on Promise ULTRA 100

I run linux 2.4.2-ac24 on the ULTRA 100 card with pdc 20267 Chip.

Drives are MAXTOR 53073H4 UDMA100.

Everything runs fine so far. The only thing which iritates me is
that :

/proc/ide/pdc202xx reports that the drives run in UDMA4 mode.

I have the above mentioned drives running as master each as a single
drive on its interface.

How can I achive that the drives run in UDMA5 ?

Otto

-

2. Where is PCNFSD for Solaris 2.5.1 ?

3. Redhat 8.0 - Onboard Promise UDMA/100 controller

4. LiLo problems

5. Promise UDMA 100 Support

6. mounting linuxppc disk on intel machine?

7. Promise UDMA-100 + Red Hat 6.2

8. RH5.2: Apache, PHP, mySQL?

9. Promise UDMA-100 Controller

10. Support for Promise UDMA 100 TX2