Can't install xfstt (error in shared library)

Can't install xfstt (error in shared library)

Post by dj » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I've been trying to install xfstt and so far have been almost totally
unsuccessful.  I've looked in dejanews and a couple of people appear to have
had the same problem, but no-one had any answers.  I don't have a lot of
experience in linux (as you'll see as we go on...) Can anyone help please.

I've been through the following hoops: (System - Redhat Linux 5.1 (2.0.35
kernel)

a) Install xfstt-0.9.8.tar in /tmp and try 'make && make install' as
directed.  Result: "can't find cc1plus".  Finally figure out that this is
some kind of program and find cc1plus hidden deep in
        /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/egcs-2.90.27/cc1plus
Copy this to /sbin/ and try again....

Result:
  root /tmp/xfstt098 > $ make && make install
  cc  -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -DMAGNIFY=0 -DNDEBUG -c RAFile.cpp
  RAFile.cpp: In function  oid deallocMem(void *, int)':
  RAFile.cpp:39: warning: ANSI C++ forbids implicit conversion from  oid *' in
  argument passing
  RAFile.cpp: In method  oid RandomAccessFile::closeRAFile()':
  RAFile.cpp:179: warning: passing  nsigned char *' as argument 1 of
  unmap(char   etc etc, finishing with an Make: error 1.

As this seemed to be a problem with compiling, I thought I'd try an rpm, so
I downloaded xfstt-0.9.10-1.i386.rpm and tried again by rpm -ivvh.

b) This time the problem was reported that I didn't have libstdc++2.9.0, so
I downloaded the rpm for that as well and installed.

c) Finally tried the xfstt-0.9 rpm again and it seemed to install OK. But
when I try xfstt --sync, all I get is ..
        xfstt: error in loading shared libraries
        /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.9: undefined symbol: __register_frame_info

I tried ldconfig -v (not sure why, but it's worked in the past I think...)
and still the same message.

Can anyone please explain what's happening and what I should do next?

Many thanks in advance.

David.

Post by Gary Momariso » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> a) Install xfstt-0.9.8.tar in /tmp and try 'make && make install' as
> directed.  Result: "can't find cc1plus".  Finally figure out that this is
> some kind of program and find cc1plus hidden deep in
>            /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/egcs-2.90.27/cc1plus
> Copy this to /sbin/ and try again....

I had this problem once, but have forgotten what the problem was. I might
have installed a new egcs (not an RPM, BTW).  Try DejaNews with "cc1" or
"cc1plus"; I bet it is a FAQ.

Quote:> Can anyone please explain what's happening and what I should do next?

Libraries are a pain; I don't know what else to say. Maybe DL a tarball
instead of an RPM, or fix your compiler (maybe gcc instead of egcs)
and DL a source tarball and make it from that. See README file.

--
Linux Info: Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/

1. ld: Output file requires shared library 'libc.so.4' : error

I've got a very simple x app that I'm trying to compile with gcc 2.6.3
and I get the error ld: Output file requires shared library 'libc.so.4'
when it tries to link.  I've checked and the library is there in /lib
and an ldconfig shows the libc.4.7.2 library in its list.  I even know that
the system is using this library because I tried deleting it and none of the
commands would work after that.  I was able to restore it with out to much
trouble.  So my guess is that some sort of option is needed to tell ld
to get this library and use it?

and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
--
Lance Holmes

2. CPU cooling: why not just a fan?

3. mod_perl install error on BSDI: can't load library 'libperl.so'

4. Has anybody here ever got redhat linux 5.0 to work!

5. Help, installed 3.1.2b, now incompatible library error '.lib/libc.so.4.6.27'

6. Tools to test my firewall

7. nessus start error can't find shared libraries libnasl.so.1

8. Newbie: Help configuring Gateway telepath modem for Linux

9. error in loading shared libraries: libXmu.so.6: cannot open shared object

10. Perl5 error: ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libnet.so.0.92"

11. X won't work error in loading shared libraries : libxmu.so.6

12. error, can't find shared library...

13. Will strip(debug shared library) == nodebug shared library ?