lilo and Ontrack

Post by Yannick Arnou » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

   I recently bought a 10.1 Go DD as a second disk.

  In order to be seen as a 10.1 Go disk by the motherboard (Intel 440 LX),
I had to install ontrack on the MBR. This little soft allows to go over
the 8 Go limit of common motherboards.

  The problem is that I want to install linux and I'm afraid that lilo
will erase this ontrack code on the MBR. As a result, I will not be able
to access my second DD.

  Is there any way to have both programs on the MBR ?

lilo and Ontrack

Post by Wolfgang Feieraben » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>    I recently bought a 10.1 Go DD as a second disk.

>   In order to be seen as a 10.1 Go disk by the motherboard (Intel 440

LX),
Neither Linux nor any Windoze 95,98,NT use the BIOS HD parametrs. They
just need to be informed, if any HD is installed or not. I had the same
Problem with my Gigabyte Mainboard. After HD-Autodetection my BIOS shows
my 4GB disk as 80MB. I told the BIOS the disk should be used in "logical
block mode", stored those values and that's it. My disk is partitioned
to two 2GB partiitions, one for W95, one for Linux. Both is running
perfectly. No problems at all. Beleive me. Linux and the newer Windows
(95+) have their own "BIOS".

Good luck, Yannick

Wolfgang

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

lilo and Ontrack

Post by Cameron L. Spitz » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>>    I recently bought a 10.1 Go DD as a second disk.

>>   In order to be seen as a 10.1 Go disk by the motherboard (Intel 440
>LX),
>Neither Linux nor any Windoze 95,98,NT use the BIOS HD parametrs. They
>just need to be informed, if any HD is installed or not. I had the same
>Problem with my Gigabyte Mainboard. After HD-Autodetection my BIOS shows
>my 4GB disk as 80MB. I told the BIOS the disk should be used in "logical
>block mode", stored those values and that's it. My disk is partitioned
>to two 2GB partiitions, one for W95, one for Linux. Both is running
>perfectly. No problems at all. Beleive me. Linux and the newer Windows
>(95+) have their own "BIOS".

>Good luck, Yannick

Yannick's approach will work.  The Ontrack Disk Manager (or whatever
they call it these days) will also work.  Just install Ontrack first,
according to its instructions, and write down the CHS numbers it
gives you.  Then boot the Linux Rescue Disk of your choice,
either Debian 2.1 Rescue or the install diskette that came with your
distribution, and at its boot prompt give it the parameters for
CHS that came from Ontrack.  (It will work anyway but if you're not
sure you can force the issue by giving disk parameters.)
The boot command will be something like

  linux append="hda=12345,255,63"

where 12345 is your cylinder count.
Use cfdisk or fdisk to make a partition table.  Be sure to include a
data partition (most likely C: for Microsoft or Linux root) that ends
before cylinder 1023 where you can put your Linux boot files.
Install the Microsoft product.  It will find the FAT-32 partition you
made with cfdisk.  Install Linux..  Don't let your distribution's
(Red Hat's, Debian's,...) install program run lilo; leave that till
later.  Use a boot floppy for Linux until your are confident your
Microsoft setup and Linux both work right.

Cameron

lilo and Ontrack

Post by Yannick Arnou » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Yannick's approach will work.  The Ontrack Disk Manager (or whatever
> they call it these days) will also work.  Just install Ontrack first,
> according to its instructions, and write down the CHS numbers it
> gives you.

  Thanks for your answer. I will try that asap. The only last worry I have
is about finally installing lilo. Lilo will be on the MBR and I am afraid
it will erase Ontrack.

  If so, I will still be able to boot under Linux as the 10.1 Gb disk will
be seen (command linux append="...") but windows will no more see the
disk as ontrack will be gone.

  Am I wrong ?

                                Yannick

   |     web page  : http://home.cern.ch/~arnoud            |
    ---------------------------------- ---------------------

lilo and Ontrack

Post by Yannick Arnou » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> >    I recently bought a 10.1 Go DD as a second disk.

> >   In order to be seen as a 10.1 Go disk by the motherboard (Intel 440
> LX),
> Neither Linux nor any Windoze 95,98,NT use the BIOS HD parametrs. They
> just need to be informed, if any HD is installed or not.

  In fact, the Bios perfecly see the HD, and the reported size is correct.
But for unknown reasons, Windows sees this 10.1 Gb disk as a 8 Gb disk.
The only way to see within windows the right size is to use Ontrack.

  This problem will only happen if the HD is larger than 8 Gb.

Quote:> My disk is partitioned to two 2GB partiitions, one for W95, one for
> Linux. Both is running perfectly. No problems at all.

  This could explain why you have no such problem...

  Thanks for your answer,

                                Yannick

   |     web page  : http://home.cern.ch/~arnoud            |
    ---------------------------------- ---------------------

1. LILO and OnTrack Disk Manager Woes

Hello All,

Hoping someone has some experience with a situation like this:

My i486 has a 6.4 Gig hard drive which uses OnTrack's Disk
Manager in MSDOS6.22.  I would like to have Linux and MSDOS
available from the LILO menu at boot up (Linux default).
What happens now is that it boots straight into MSDOS6.22.
I can however start Linux using the boot disk.

I installed LILO on my root partition which is below the
1024th cylinder.  In Linux fdisk, MSDOS is set as the active
partition.  I deactivated that partition and activated my
root partition, but at boot up (after the OnTrack message)
I got the message to insert a boot disk.  I also tried a
couple of things mentioned in the LILO-mini-HOWTO to no
avail.  Does Red Hat Linux not cooperate nicely with
Disk Manager?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

2. soreceive: Warning on console - HELP?

3. Help: Linux, LiLo and Ontrack

4. Problem: Apache: cannot determine local host name

5. Ontrack DDO and LILO

6. Help ! I need a PPPoE client ! (Corel)

7. Lilo and Ontrack in the MBR

8. new computer compatibility ???

9. LILO/Large IDE/Ontrack DiskManager/DOS

10. Linux lilo work with OnTrack Disk Manager (DDO) ??

11. Help: Linux, LiLo and Ontrack

12. Quantum Ontrack Driver and LILO

13. LILO and Seagate Ontrack