kernel 2.4.0-test1 == lightening?

Post by Robert Lync » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

Hiya-

I compiled and am running kernel 2.4.0-test1.  This is subjective, I
haven't done any benchmarking, but overall it seems to make my system a
lot peppier.

Anyone else agree?

Bob L.

Proposed Microsoft breakup:

Microsoft ->         Microslop (OS)
                Microsloth (apps)
                Microsnot (browser)
--

Post by Andreas Kretschme » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hiya-
> I compiled and am running kernel 2.4.0-test1.  This is subjective, I
> haven't done any benchmarking, but overall it seems to make my system a
> lot peppier.
> Anyone else agree?

sorry, I come from germany, and my english is not verry good.
Does "peppier" means faster? I hope ;-)

I have a AMD ATHLON 700 with 256 MByte of RAM, and I use a SuSE Linux
with Kernel 2.2.14.

I will wait until a Distri (preferred SuSE) with new Kernel is
available, but I'm verry interesting, how the new Kernel work.

Best regards from Dresden/Germany

Andreas Kretschmer

--
Diese Message wurde erstellt mit freundlicher Untersttzung eines frei-
laufenden Pinguins aus artgerechter Freilandhaltung.  Er ist garantiert

1. Getting >2GB files under kernel 2.4.0-test1

G'day, all.

I've compiled and installed the linux-2.4.0-test1-ac14 kernel onto my
Mandrake 7.0 system, as I was under the impression that this would give
me the ability to create files greater than 2GB on this machine.  It's
a file server used mostly for backups.

Well, the compile went exceedingly well and I chose to see if I could
get away with not upgrading any of the recommended packages such as
libc5... so I booted the new kernel.  Viola!  It works and there are
only a couple of warnings during boot which I think I can live with
for now.

But the 2GB limitation still exists even with the new kernel.  I'm
using Samba to talk to the file server from a Win98 box which I'm
attempting to backup, not using NFS.  Is there something obvious that
I've missed that would enable the larger file sizes?  I'm at a loss as
to what to do next; any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Leo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. using gnopg with an "insecure memory!" error

3. kernel 2.4-test1

4. Redhat 5.0 & Netscape 4.0 = segment faulf (core dumped)

5. ALSA drivers with kernel version 2.4.0-test1

6. kword 1.0 import .doc files

7. Something to lighten the mood in here :)

8. Kodak's Interactive R3.2

9. Configuring CrackLib to lighten up

10. New Group to lighten Load

11. Params for Quamtum Lightening 730S?

12. OK, just one more to lighten the atmosphere in this group....

13. Blue Lightening DX66