penthium performance problem

penthium performance problem

Post by Stefano Ghirlan » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00



Hi,
I have a machine with a Pentium 133. I get from /proc/cpuinfo:

processor       : 0
cpu             : 586
model           : Pentium 75+
<stuff deleted>
bogomips        : 1.90

What does the 75+ mean? On another machine I also get a 'cpu Mhz:' entry
showing the correct value for the processor, but the kernel is more recent
(2.1.129 vs. 2.0.36).

Anyway, my problem is that the above machine seems *slow*, a good bit
slower than another running on a P90 with a similar configuration
(kernel 2.0.0, same amount of ram). This machine is also reported as
Pentium 75+ in /proc/cpuinfo.

So I was wondering if I should recompile the kernel or do something
else. The bogomips entry seems to me particularly troubling, although
admittedly bogus. Here are the bogomips reported by three machines I have:

A Penthium Pro 200 -> bogomips: 199.07   (redhat 5.2)
A Penthium 90 ->      bogomips: 35.94    (old slackware, forgot which one)
A Penthium 133 ->     bogomips : 1.90    (the machine above... slack 3.6)

Any insight will be appreciated...
thanks,
Stefano

--
 Stefano Ghirlanda, Zoologiska Institutionen, Stockholms Universitet
    Office: D554, Arrheniusv. 14, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden

   Support Free Science, look at: http://rerumnatura.zool.su.se

 
 
 

penthium performance problem

Post by Tommy Willoughb » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00



> Hi,
> I have a machine with a Pentium 133. I get from /proc/cpuinfo:

> processor       : 0
> cpu             : 586
> model           : Pentium 75+
> <stuff deleted>
> bogomips        : 1.90

> What does the 75+ mean? On another machine I also get a 'cpu Mhz:' entry
> showing the correct value for the processor, but the kernel is more recent
> (2.1.129 vs. 2.0.36).

> Anyway, my problem is that the above machine seems *slow*, a good bit
> slower than another running on a P90 with a similar configuration
> (kernel 2.0.0, same amount of ram). This machine is also reported as
> Pentium 75+ in /proc/cpuinfo.

> So I was wondering if I should recompile the kernel or do something
> else. The bogomips entry seems to me particularly troubling, although
> admittedly bogus. Here are the bogomips reported by three machines I have:

> A Penthium Pro 200 -> bogomips: 199.07   (redhat 5.2)
> A Penthium 90 ->      bogomips: 35.94    (old slackware, forgot which one)
> A Penthium 133 ->     bogomips : 1.90    (the machine above... slack 3.6)

> Any insight will be appreciated...
> thanks,
> Stefano

That does seem out of whack, doesn't it? Don't know what the answer is,
but just for reference -
166mhz pentium/MMX, RH 5.2, kernel 2.0.36 - here's the line from
/var/log/dmesg:
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 332.60 BogoMIPS

 
 
 

penthium performance problem

Post by Stefano Ghirlan » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00


Quote:>> bogomips        : 1.90
>Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 332.60 BogoMIPS

I read in the BogoMips howtwo that the count should be around 53 for a
pentium 133... so there seems to be something wrong indeed.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

--
 Stefano Ghirlanda, Zoologiska Institutionen, Stockholms Universitet
    Office: D554, Arrheniusv. 14, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden

   Support Free Science, look at: http://rerumnatura.zool.su.se

 
 
 

penthium performance problem

Post by Bernd-Ulrich Adrig » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00


Stefano Ghirlanda schrieb in Nachricht ...

>Hi,
>I have a machine with a Pentium 133. I get from /proc/cpuinfo:

>processor       : 0
>cpu             : 586
>model           : Pentium 75+
><stuff deleted>
>bogomips        : 1.90
<snip>
> Stefano Ghirlanda, Zoologiska Institutionen, Stockholms Universitet
>    Office: D554, Arrheniusv. 14, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden

>   Support Free Science, look at: http://rerumnatura.zool.su.se

Hello Stefano,
first, does your machine has something like a TURBOSWITCH? Perhaps it's OFF.
Second you should check your motherbord. Are all jumpersettings correct for
the P133?
Third you should check the bios of your mb. Are the internal and external
caches enabled?

Did you check the CPU? Perhaps its REALY a P75 (overclocked)?

Bernd

 
 
 

penthium performance problem

Post by Stefano Ghirlan » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00


On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:42:07 +0100, Bernd-Ulrich Adrigam


>Stefano Ghirlanda schrieb in Nachricht ...
>>Hi,
>>I have a machine with a Pentium 133. I get from /proc/cpuinfo:

>>processor       : 0
>>cpu             : 586
>>model           : Pentium 75+
>><stuff deleted>
>>bogomips        : 1.90
>Hello Stefano,
>first, does your machine has something like a TURBOSWITCH? Perhaps it's OFF.
>Second you should check your motherbord. Are all jumpersettings correct for
>the P133?
>Third you should check the bios of your mb. Are the internal and external
>caches enabled?

It was the *cache*, it was off. I'm now up to 53 bogomips and the system
is much faster. Thanks to all that replied!

--
 Stefano Ghirlanda, Zoologiska Institutionen, Stockholms Universitet
    Office: D554, Arrheniusv. 14, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden

   Support Free Science, look at: http://rerumnatura.zool.su.se

 
 
 

1. Linux compatibility with penthium+PCI

Hello,

I was wondering how compatible Linux (for instance Slackware PRO 2.0) is
with the newest Intel based mean clean dream-machines.  I am talking
about machines with a 90Mhz or 100Mhz Penthium P54C processor.

I've done some reading and it strikes me that the P54C always comes with
an Intel motherboard which has a PCI bus.  Usually PCI SCSI-2 or enhanced
PCI IDE controlers are on board.  That's where the compatibility with DOS
machines breaks, I think, because there are no drivers for these controlers
at the moment, I guess.

We intend to replace our DEC-station 5000/125 with a P54C-based "PC"
because it will be cheaper... much cheaper:

        DEC  :  $2500 per year maintenance contract
                which is $7500 in 3 years... the price of a "PC"
        "PC" :        3 years warranty for everything

The question is, are these P54C-based motherboards Linux compatible?  If
not, will they become compatible or is there just no hope?

Robert,


2. Xwindows/Gatrox card

3. Phone modem sharing with linux on a penthium 60

4. Allow Anyone to Cancel a Request - urgent pls

5. Ide performance (was RAID0 Performance problems)

6. question

7. X-Performance = Ram ?, report YOUR performance after upgrade.

8. $Q$ Installing Linux on different partition

9. X graphics performance vs. Windows performance

10. Vax 11/780 performance vs Sun 4/280 performance

11. performance tools for analyzing java performance

12. Xfree Performance vs. Accelerated-X Performance

13. X graphics performance vs. Windows performance