Sound Blaster 16 Question (again)

Post by Keith Evend » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I've experienced a problem with recording audio with my SB16 card under _any_
version of Linux (I'm currently using 2.0.26) I've used, namely it dosen't.
When I run
dd bs=8k count=4 </dev/audio >sample.au  it prints out the results:
4+0 records in
4+0 records out

But when I perform a cat sample.au >/dev/audio all I get is silence.  I have no problem
playing back audio in (almost) any form, so I know that my sound card is working.
But this has got me puzzled, and really this wouldn't have been much more than
a curiosity for me except that when I tried to use Ears it wouldn't learn sounds,
and I think that would be related to my recording problem.  I've been through the
HOWTO and gleaned what I can from the newsgroups if there is a FAQ I've missed or
some other detail that I've missed (What?  SB16 won't record?!?;^b) I would greatly
appreciate a pointer.

Thanks in advance,

Keith
--
_/_/_/ Keith Evenden                I do not care to belong to a club that
/_/_/                               accepts people like me as members.

Sound Blaster 16 Question (again)

Post by Alan Cur » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

What you probably need to do is adjust the mixer settings. First of all, if
you don't have it, get an appropriate version of snd-util. (Refer to
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/* and /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/Readme to
determine what version is appropriate and where to get it.) Compile the
mixer program contained therein. (gcc mixer.c -o mixer) Then do something
like this:

  mixer mic 100  # Enable sampling from the microphone, at max sensitivity
  mixer igain 10  # input gain up but not too far
  mixer vol 75  # Speaker volume up

By this point you should be able to speak into the microphone and hear your
voice come out the speakers. If not, gradually increase the "vol" and
"igain" values. Next:

  mixer +rec mic  # Make sure mic is enabled as a recording source

This last command should tell you which recording sources are currently
active. If there are any which you aren't using, turn them off, e.g. "mixer
-rec line"

Now, try copying from /dev/audio or /dev/dsp.

Post by Alex Butch » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>But when I perform a cat sample.au >/dev/audio all I get is silence.

You probably haven't set the input volume to a non-zero value. Get hold of
xvmixer or setmixer or something. Note that there are both line and mic
input levels.

This stumped me for a while too, once, so don't feel bad. :)

Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher - Micro Support Technician  Tel +44 (0)117 928 9000 x3038
Computing Service, University of Bristol, Tyndall Ave. Bristol BS8 1UD

Sound Blaster 16 Question (again)

Post by Keith Evend » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> What you probably need to do is adjust the mixer settings. First of all, if
> you don't have it, get an appropriate version of snd-util. (Refer to
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/* and /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/Readme to
> determine what version is appropriate and where to get it.) Compile the
> mixer program contained therein. (gcc mixer.c -o mixer) Then do something
> like this:

Initially I had used Xamixer, but upon recommendation I've gotten the appropriate
snd-util, built it's mixer and executed the following:

Quote:>   mixer mic 100  # Enable sampling from the microphone, at max sensitivity
>   mixer igain 10  # input gain up but not too far
>   mixer vol 75  # Speaker volume up

> By this point you should be able to speak into the microphone and hear your
> voice come out the speakers. If not, gradually increase the "vol" and
> "igain" values. Next:

No problems there...

Quote:>   mixer +rec mic  # Make sure mic is enabled as a recording source

> This last command should tell you which recording sources are currently
> active. If there are any which you aren't using, turn them off, e.g. "mixer
> -rec line"

> Now, try copying from /dev/audio or /dev/dsp.

Still nothing.  When I view the file it's contents appear as pages full of _^_^_^_^_
whereas a "normal" .au file consists of ascii characters.  If I run a file sample.au
command file returns sample.au: old packed data.  I really appreciate the help that's
been given, thanks again.

Keith
--
_/_/_/ Keith Evenden                I do not care to belong to a club that
/_/_/                               accepts people like me as members.
 /_/                                -Groucho Marx (1890-1977)
  /    http://www.peak.org/~kevenden

Sound Blaster 16 Question (again)

Post by Thor Sigvaldas » Mon, 02 Dec 1996 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I've experienced a problem with recording audio with my SB16
> [snip]
> I would greatly appreciate a pointer.

        It sounds the level on the mic line of your card is set to 0. Try
any mixer program to turn up that level, and see if that solves your
problem.

Hope this helps,

Thor Sigvaldason

1. Sound Blaster 16 (Vibra 16)

hey guys,

I am new to freebsd, but not new to *nix.  I am trying to get my sound card
working in it and so far I have no success.
The only somewhat success I have gotten is for the kernel to tell me or
complain that it needs Sound Blaster Pro support for my sound card.

I have the following in the kernel for sound,

controller snd0

device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr

I have also tried pcm0 but it wont even compile for me.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Nicolas

2. A Vi question...

3. Sound Blaster 16 PnP x Creative CD-ROM 4x PC2 Question

4. modem device locking - uucp and kermit

5. how to set up a sound blaster 16 sound card and a modem for dial-in

6. LOGS files!

7. RH 7.2 && ISA Sound Blaster 16, no sound

8. looking for holes

9. Linux Rehat 6.0 ( Mandrake ) New Install - No Sound from Sound Blaster 16 - SCSI

10. Sound help needed [Sound Blaster 16 & wav_play]

11. Sound Blaster SB 16 ISA sound card problems

12. Newbie: Sound Blaster 16 {no sound}

13. Sound Blaster CD and 16 bit Sound Card.....sigh!