DAT tape refuses to load - help?

Post by godfrey_.. » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I think this topic has been mentioned before but I cannot track down an
answer in any of the newsgroups. Help would be appreciated.

When inserting a DDS3 tape into a HP surestore drive, it just goes in
and then comes straight back out again. I did once manage to get a tape
loaded, but all attempts since then have failed.
It is connected to an Adaptec SCSI controller, and I am running RedHat
5.1

Thanks in advance,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by coffe » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I think this topic has been mentioned before but I cannot track down an
> answer in any of the newsgroups. Help would be appreciated.

> When inserting a DDS3 tape into a HP surestore drive, it just goes in
> and then comes straight back out again. I did once manage to get a tape
> loaded, but all attempts since then have failed.
> It is connected to an Adaptec SCSI controller, and I am running RedHat
> 5.1

Usually when Ive ran into this problem its because the tape drive cannot
find the beginning of the tape. This is most likely a dust problem. At
the company where I work we have a big problem with Surestore dat 8
drives failing in the same mannor because of a high dust problem.

The solution I came up with was quite simple. Disassemble and clean the
gears.

1. Take off the top to the drive and hook it up to power and insert a
tape. Watch to see if there is alot of slack in the take up reel when it
searches for the beginning of the tape.

The drive should make several attempts to find the beginning of the tape
and you will notice that the take up reel doesnt take up all the slack.
This is because there is dirt/dust on the gears below the reels.

Its not too hard to take them apart and clean them.

--
                coffee at indy dot net * ICQ 1614986
                        Kokomo, Indiana, USA

:
: When inserting a DDS3 tape into a HP surestore drive, it just goes in
: and then comes straight back out again. I did once manage to get a tape
: loaded, but all attempts since then have failed.
: It is connected to an Adaptec SCSI controller, and I am running RedHat
: 5.1

The obvious question is, is the HP Surestore drive a DDS3 drive?  I don't
know, and I would think that HP has many models of DAT drives in the
"Surestore" line, so you might want to include a model number.

        Stu

DAT tape refuses to load - help?

Post by godfrey_.. » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Having recently taken over the work of dealing with tape backups, I find
that the device has never properly worked. Yes, I have cleaned it
(rather a bit of dust inside) but that still has not solved the problem.
Yes, the device takes DDS3 tapes - well that is what the manual says and
they are the tapes supplied with it.

I have just noticed that the startup log (dmesg) shows the controller is
'auto-terminated'. would it help if I changed the dip-switches to
configure a terminator on the drive?

Quote:> When inserting a DDS3 tape into a HP surestore drive, it just goes in

Post by Leslie Mikese » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>Having recently taken over the work of dealing with tape backups, I find
>that the device has never properly worked. Yes, I have cleaned it
>(rather a bit of dust inside) but that still has not solved the problem.
>Yes, the device takes DDS3 tapes - well that is what the manual says and
>they are the tapes supplied with it.

>I have just noticed that the startup log (dmesg) shows the controller is
>'auto-terminated'. would it help if I changed the dip-switches to
>configure a terminator on the drive?

(A) *Both* ends of a scsi bus have to be terminated.  The card itself
    may or may not be an end, depending on whether you have internal,
    external cables or both.  If it is an end, the 'auto-termination'
    takes care of the card end only (and you probably should go
    into the bios and set it correctly).  You still must terminate
    the other end of the cable(s).

(B) The HP Dats I've seen didn't have a jumper for termination.  If
    it doesn't, you either need to put something else on the end
    of the cable that does have termination or use an external
    terminator.

  Les Mikesell

Post by coffe » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Having recently taken over the work of dealing with tape backups, I find
> that the device has never properly worked. Yes, I have cleaned it
> (rather a bit of dust inside) but that still has not solved the problem.
> Yes, the device takes DDS3 tapes - well that is what the manual says and
> they are the tapes supplied with it.

> I have just noticed that the startup log (dmesg) shows the controller is
> 'auto-terminated'. would it help if I changed the dip-switches to
> configure a terminator on the drive?

From what you said it sounds like its not a termination problem. Correct
me if Im wrong but for the most part if it was a termination problem
then the system would have problems sensing the drive is there or very
flaky opertations.

I would be interested to know if - with the cover off - when you stick
the tape in do you get slack in the take up reel when you load a tape?

If the beginning of the tape cannot be found it will attempt it again
and then eject the tape. Ive also seen this behavior on a drive where
the end of tape sensor was bad.

This is of course if its a hardware problem. But if it doesnt even load
the tape then its almost has to be a problem with either the tape or the
drive.

--
                coffee at indy dot net * ICQ 1614986
                        Kokomo, Indiana, USA

1. ufsdump refuses to load 2nd tape -- Help!!!

Ok - ufsdump has been happily backing up remotely for the last few months.
As of today the level 0 no longer fits on a single tape.

I *MUST* be able to go to another tape. Why is ufsdump stubbornly refusing
to load a second tape? I'm sick of experimenting, *(&*#$, it takes almost
an hour to dump to a tape; only to get denyed with a "Please load next
tape -- error, dump aborted".

I'm using the l flag, and thought the o flag might make a difference.
Nope. No different - still stops cold after a tape.

Email would be appreciated. I'm on aol only because my dialup router is

Thanks!

2. Orbix for Linux?

3. DAT tapes vs. non-DAT tapes ( SCSI )

4. Cold boot error ram:No space on dev

5. DAT TAPE DRIVES: Wangtek can't read HP DAT tapes

6. sndconfig question:

7. _____HELP: "no tape loaded" error on DAT drive + SunOS 4.1.3_____

8. Running a window manager remotely?

9. old DAT tape in new DAT drive ...

10. DAT tape (audio) and DDS-DAT (data)

11. DAT Tape Drive (Variable length tape block)

12. tape parameters for HP JetStore 6000 4mm DAT drive, DDS2 120m tapes?

13. Conner 4584 DAT tape backup with 12 tape Autoloader