Linux on Tiny Computer PIII

Post by Douglas Lithgo » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I've tried Mandrake 7.0 and SUSE 6.4, and can only get a text version of
Linux running on my PC (Tiny Pentium III 600Mhz, the Chipset and
graphics are Intel 810). It has a 17Gb HDD which is now back to being
Primary running Win 98 Sr2. Ideally I would like to split this into 2
(approx 8Gb each for Win98 & Linux). I can Partition magic this okay,
although Boot Magic v1 has a problem, when I select Linux, it just keeps
rebooting. When I did have it working, as I say it was Text only.
Even the install programs are Text based, YAST2 according to the manual
I have should be graphical, but it does not come up as shown. I use the
graphical version of YAST.
Mandrake does not have the monitor in the list, every option I try the
screen looks too big.

I am unsure if because the machine is so new, the Linux installs do not
recognise the hardware.

Has anyone managed this successfully on a similar specced machine, or is
it worth me trying another version of Linux (Corel, etc)

Thanks for any help.

D.

Linux on Tiny Computer PIII

Post by Fabrice Coli » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> I've tried Mandrake 7.0 and SUSE 6.4, and can only get a text version of
> Linux running on my PC (Tiny Pentium III 600Mhz, the Chipset and
> graphics are Intel 810). It has a 17Gb HDD which is now back to being
> Primary running Win 98 Sr2. Ideally I would like to split this into 2
> (approx 8Gb each for Win98 & Linux). I can Partition magic this okay,
> although Boot Magic v1 has a problem, when I select Linux, it just keeps
> rebooting. When I did have it working, as I say it was Text only.
> Even the install programs are Text based, YAST2 according to the manual
> I have should be graphical, but it does not come up as shown. I use the
> graphical version of YAST.
> Mandrake does not have the monitor in the list, every option I try the
> screen looks too big.

OK so the install went fine but in both cases it was in text mode ?
And with both SuSE and Mandrake, you can't run X ?
I don't know these two distros but it sounds like the i810 is not
supported by XFree86. It may be worth checking on their website.
Maybe it's supported by AcceleratedX ?

Fabrice

Linux on Tiny Computer PIII

Post by Bill Piet » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > I've tried Mandrake 7.0 and SUSE 6.4, and can only get a text version of
> > Linux running on my PC (Tiny Pentium III 600Mhz, the Chipset and
> > graphics are Intel 810). It has a 17Gb HDD which is now back to being
> > Primary running Win 98 Sr2. Ideally I would like to split this into 2
> > (approx 8Gb each for Win98 & Linux). I can Partition magic this okay,
> > although Boot Magic v1 has a problem, when I select Linux, it just keeps
> > rebooting. When I did have it working, as I say it was Text only.
> > Even the install programs are Text based, YAST2 according to the manual
> > I have should be graphical, but it does not come up as shown. I use the
> > graphical version of YAST.
> > Mandrake does not have the monitor in the list, every option I try the
> > screen looks too big.
> OK so the install went fine but in both cases it was in text mode ?
> And with both SuSE and Mandrake, you can't run X ?
> I don't know these two distros but it sounds like the i810 is not
> supported by XFree86. It may be worth checking on their website.
> Maybe it's supported by AcceleratedX ?

> Fabrice

There's been a lot of discussion about the i810. Intel has
posted a support page for Linux X installs. X 3.3.6 is
supposed to include a module. Check the following:
http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel810/linuxsoftware.htm
for more info if you're installing X 3.3.5.

1. PIII vs PIII E - which is faster?

While calling a couple computer shops today to look into upgrading my
current system to a PIII motherboard, I came across an interesting
dilemna - essentially, two shops I talked to gave two different
opinions on two different types of Pentium III processors.

I'm posting here to get y'all's opinions on these issues, but I think
it may also serve as an interesting (and possibly controversial) topic
of discussion.  (Perhaps it has already been covered here and is old
hat; but unfortunately, my main machine is in the shop and I can't
access the web to search at dejanews with my 486.)

The basic disagreement is on the E series of Pentium III processors (E
and EB chips) versus the non-E series (Pentium III and Pentium IIIB).
The fellow at the first shop stated that the E series chip is a socket
370 (PPGA - flip) and that it was a lower-end chip than the non-E
series and that the E chips were slower than the non-E chips.

The fellow at the second shop pointed out that there are two versions
of the E series chip - the socket 370-type chips and, like the non-E
chips, slot-1-type chips.  He also stated that the E series is not
lower end - that these chips are faster than the non-E chips.  The
reason he gave was that the E chips, although they have a smaller
(256K) cache, have a bus speed (CPU register to cache RAM) that is the
same as the processor speed (e.g., 600MHz for a PIII E 600 chip), while
the non-E chips have a bus speed that is half the processor speed.
(Also, to add more confusion to the issue, another shop I talked to
said that Intel had switched from socket 370 to slot 1 chips, but that
they have recently switched back to socket 370 chips - so that the
newest motherboards (not sure if any are available yet) will need to
support the socket 370 rather than the slot 1 chips.)

Does anyone have any informed opinions or, better yet, hard facts
supporting either side of the issue?  Or is the issue more complex and
are both sides right on some aspects and wrong on others?  I find this very
confusing, but I also find it fascinating - that the details are so
complicated that not even "experts" are able to discern them accurately.

[For those interested, I have also posted a question about another issue
I came across with the same two shops - see the subject line "VIA vs
Intel chipsets - which is better?"]

[Apologies for any errors in terminology - as you can tell, I'm not a
hardware dude.]
--
Jim Cochrane

2. Equivalent of /etc/mtab in BSD?

3. FYI: Tiny Linux : Linux for small foot print systems : Minimal Linux,

4. questions

5. Tiny Linux on a 386, also loading linux with floppies

6. rpm

7. Sharing printer between Linux computer and Win 3.11 or Win95 computer?

8. Anyone tried IBM 180GXP 180 GB HD?

9. AD: The Computer Underground sells and supports Linux computers

10. Linux on a computer on a PCI card in a computer?

11. install linux on old computer or buy pre-installed new computer?

12. Getting FTP files from MSDOS computer to Linux Computer

13. How to connect a windows 95 computer with a Linux computer (both have network cards)