Pathetic Newbie Question on OpenOffice

Post by Samantha Skyl » Sun, 26 May 2002 00:53:39

Hello All,

Im trying to completely free myself of Microsoft, so Im
switching to Red Hat Linux 7.3 and OpenOffice.

I am having problems installing OpenOffice however.  I do my best, and
things seem to go well, but when I try and save any files using
OpenOffice, the thing crashes.

Could someone either give me explicit, step-by-step instruction on how
to install OpenOffice, or show me exactly where to find them?

Thanks
-Samantha.

Post by Tom » Sun, 26 May 2002 01:41:25

> Hello All,

> I’m trying to completely free myself of Microsoft, so I’m
> switching to Red Hat Linux 7.3 and OpenOffice.

> I am having problems installing OpenOffice however.  I do my best, and
> things seem to go well, but when I try and save any files using
> OpenOffice, the thing crashes.

> Could someone either give me explicit, step-by-step instruction on how
> to install OpenOffice, or show me exactly where to find them?

> Thanks
> -Samantha.

goto

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/

and search 'openoffice'. Download rpm (in binary format). Install the rpm
using
the command 'rpm -ivh rpm_file_name'.

Post by Matt N » Sun, 26 May 2002 04:04:19

> I am having problems installing OpenOffice however.  I do my best, and
> things seem to go well, but when I try and save any files using
> OpenOffice, the thing crashes.

I had this problem as well. What I did was install the rpms from Ximian.
You didn't mention how you installed OpenOffice, but you might want to
check your file paths. Under Tools|Options|Paths I had to change the
Backups, My Documents, and Temporary files to directories that I had
write access to and everything works fine now.

Post by Ilari Aarre Leht » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 02:50:55

> > I am having problems installing OpenOffice however.  I do my best, and
> > things seem to go well, but when I try and save any files using
> > OpenOffice, the thing crashes.

> I had this problem as well. What I did was install the rpms from Ximian.
> You didn't mention how you installed OpenOffice, but you might want to
> check your file paths. Under Tools|Options|Paths I had to change the
> Backups, My Documents, and Temporary files to directories that I had
> write access to and everything works fine now.

I had the same problem in Win2000 with OOo 1.0. First I did the
installation as Administrator. Then I logged in as normal user and
opening old StarOffice 5.2 documents did not work. I had to do a
repair installation to get OOo even start. After this things looked
good, then I noticed that saving in new OOo file format crashed the
whole thing. If I saved in old StarOffice format, it worked. The
crashing was caused by My Documents and Temporary directories pointing
to Administrator owned section. After setting these properties to new
value, it now seems to work. I would prefer having separate My
Documents directories for each user. Is this possible?

The bottom line: Even if OOo can not access some directory, it should
not crash as a result of this.

--
 It's not that I don't love you               * Ilari Lehti

 'Cause I was taught from much too young      * http://www.iki.fi/ibu/
 To shine and not reflect                - Marillion

1. PLEASE HELP (I HAVE A PATHETIC NEWBIE QUESTION)!!

WARNING : This is a bit of a stupid newbie question.

How can I download something of the Net and be able to use it in Linux.
(cos I need a file to get Internet working o my Linux box).

Thanks.
Nim Malik.

I can be contacted (preferably) on:

2. What is iBCS?

3. pathetic newbie battles FreeBSD, emacs

4. GDM - Span Two Screens

5. openOffice.org announces openOffice.org 1.0

6. ufsdump

7. OpenOffice 1.0.2 port(dk-openoffice) broken=

8. NG: my CD says not block device

9. pathetic Netscape question

10. ignorant newbie - openoffice package for NetBSD

11. Dumb OpenOffice.org1.0 install question.

12. problem report, question about OpenOffice

13. openoffice question (internal "database")