Need to load master boot record

Post by Mik » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi.  I have Slackware and need to copy the master boot record.  Do you know
what device I can read and how much data I should read?  I think it is 2k
in lenght (I want partition infomration).

I will use a dd command.

Thanks,
Mike

As always, get rid of the _REMOVE_ from my e-mail address.

Post by di.. » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

> Hi.  I have Slackware and need to copy the master boot record.  Do you know
> what device I can read and how much data I should read?  I think it is 2k
> in lenght (I want partition infomration).

Assuming first ide drive:

dd if=/dev/hda of=boot.hda bs=512 count=1

Or scsi:

dd if=/dev/sda of=boot.sda bs=512 count=1

Frank

1. Need to restore Master Boot Record-forgot command-Help!

I need to restore the Master Boot Record on an ide drive in dos to fix a
corrupted Linux install. It's been such a long time since I had to do
this I've forgotten the command. I'm pretty sure it uses the /mbr switch.
If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jim

2. X Powersave for Smart Monitors ?

3. Need HELP - master boot record defective!

4. fixdist stops mail reception?

5. Need to get LILO to re-write to the Master Boot Record

6. Using NCSA-style .htaccess files in Netscape Server?

7. Need HELP!!! master boot record defective.

8. compiling kernel with ncr53c810

9. Master boot record with NT 4.0/RH5.0

10. Master Boot Record Error

11. killing the master boot record