Opinions on ApplixWare

Post by Zach » Sun, 12 May 2002 07:14:55

I would like to get a general concensus about how good (or bad) the ApplixWare
Office Suite is.  Currently, the only thing that truly keeps me tied to
Windows is MS Office.  Whether you love or hate Microsoft, their office suite
is pretty nice and reliable.  I know ApplixWare will read and work with
various formats (Word 2000, Excel 2000, etc) but does it "butcher" the
documents?  Is it truly WYSIWYG or does the formatting end up looking like a
font factory reject.  Is it worth the price or is it about the same as
OpenOffice.  I'm not impressed at all with either Star Office or OpenOffice.
Any and all opinions are appreciated.
TIA
--

Zach
"Coming to you live from SuSE Linux"

Opinions on ApplixWare

Post by Garry Knigh » Sun, 12 May 2002 08:33:10

> I would like to get a general concensus about how good (or bad) the
> ApplixWare Office Suite is.  Currently, the only thing that truly keeps
> me tied to Windows is MS Office.  Whether you love or hate Microsoft,
> their office suite is pretty nice and reliable.  I know ApplixWare will
> read and work with various formats (Word 2000, Excel 2000, etc) but does
> it "butcher" the documents?  Is it truly WYSIWYG or does the formatting
> end up looking like a font factory reject.  Is it worth the price or is
> it about the same as OpenOffice.  I'm not impressed at all with either
> Star Office or OpenOffice. Any and all opinions are appreciated.

I have Applix 5.0 but I don't use it much, but only because I don't have
much call to use it. It's about as WYSIWYG for my HP Deskjet 640C printer,
including the on-screen representation of my imported Windows fonts. I've
never known it to 'butcher' documents, but I've always used RTF when
sending files to Word users (the trick is to save it as RTF, rename the
extension to .doc, then send it and the Word user won't know any different).

The main thing I don't like about Applix Words is that if you save a file
as RTF then keep working on it, you keep having to change the filename
extension every time you save it. But that's only a minor niggle and I
consider Words to be a competent WP, despite the fact that its only English
dictionary is the American one.

As for the price, I don't know how much it is now. I bought the previous
version for about 80 UKP and then got the upgrade to 5.0 for something like
35 UKP. Considering the price of MS Office, I think I got a good deal.

--
Garry Knight

Linux registered user 182025

Opinions on ApplixWare

Post by B. Joshua Rose » Sun, 12 May 2002 11:19:35

> I would like to get a general concensus about how good (or bad) the
> ApplixWare Office Suite is.  Currently, the only thing that truly keeps
> me tied to Windows is MS Office.  Whether you love or hate Microsoft,
> their office suite is pretty nice and reliable.  I know ApplixWare will
> read and work with various formats (Word 2000, Excel 2000, etc) but does
> it "butcher" the documents?  Is it truly WYSIWYG or does the formatting
> end up looking like a font factory reject.  Is it worth the price or is
> it about the same as OpenOffice.  I'm not impressed at all with either
> Star Office or OpenOffice. Any and all opinions are appreciated. TIA

I tried Applixware a couple of years but I wasn't very happy with it. I
use Win4Lin which allows you to run Office on a Linux machine. Win4Lin
gives you a complete Win98 env in a window on a Linux system so you can
run all of your favorite Windows programs on Linux.

Opinions on ApplixWare

Post by s. keeli » Sun, 12 May 2002 12:39:14

Quote:> I would like to get a general concensus about how good (or bad) the ApplixWare
> Office Suite is.  Currently, the only thing that truly keeps me tied to

Between Applix and Gnumeric, I manage to communicate well with the
less enlightened (WinX).  Applix exports rtf well, gnumeric does good
html.  Of course, if your recipients are clueless, you'll have
troubles no matter what.

(*)  TopQuark Software & Services.  Contract programmer, server bum.
- -             Give up Spammers; I use procmail.
How to quote: http://learn.to/quote (Ger.) http://quote.6x.to (Eng.)

Opinions on ApplixWare

Post by s. keeli » Sun, 12 May 2002 12:43:18

> > I would like to get a general concensus about how good (or bad) the
> > ApplixWare Office Suite is.  Currently, the only thing that truly keeps

> The main thing I don't like about Applix Words is that if you save a file
> as RTF then keep working on it, you keep having to change the filename

I concur that its filehandling is non-intelligent.  You have to watch
it carefully or you can lose data.

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 12 May 2002 19:24:05

Quote:> I would like to get a general concensus about how good (or bad) the ApplixWare
> Office Suite is.  Currently, the only thing that truly keeps me tied to
> Windows is MS Office.  Whether you love or hate Microsoft, their office suite
> is pretty nice and reliable.

I don't think I'd go so far as to say MS Office is "reliable," and
"nice" is sort of dependent on that.... (I've lost too much work to MS
Office "quirks.")

Quote:> I know ApplixWare will read and work with
> various formats (Word 2000, Excel 2000, etc) but does it "butcher" the
> documents?

The latest version of ApplixWare I've used is 4.4.1. The latest
available is 5.something, I believe. I rather like ApplixWare; it's got
a lot of power, but much of it's unobtrusive, unlike most other office
packages. ApplixWare 4.4.1 is nowhere near adequate for serious two-way
document exchange with MS Office (or at least MS Word) files, though.
Yes, it'll handle a basic document reasonably well, and might even be
OK for a one-way exchange where you don't mind cleaning up some
problems on import. The only program I'm aware of that even comes close
to being suitable for two-way exchanges is StarOffice/OpenOffice.org,
and that only in the latest incarnations (like OpenOffice.org 1.0;
definitely not StarOffice 5.2). Even SO/OO isn't perfect, though.

Quote:> Is it truly WYSIWYG or does the formatting end up looking like a
> font factory reject.

It's about as WYSIWYG as is typical. There are font quirks in
ApplixWare, at least in the 4.4.1 version I've used. In fact, I've got a
Web page on improving the package's font handling (mainly for printing,
but to a lesser extent also on-screen display):

http://www.rodsbooks.com/axfonts/

As with most serious font-using programs (mainly word processors, but
also some other types), font handling in Linux/X isn't trivial. X just
doesn't offer the font-handling features that these programs need, so
they've got to kludge something together, and the result isn't pretty,
from a configuration point of view.

Quote:> Is it worth the price or is it about the same as
> OpenOffice.  I'm not impressed at all with either Star Office or OpenOffice.
> Any and all opinions are appreciated.

It depends on your needs. If you need document interoperability with MS
Word, then ApplixWare 4.4.1 is far below OpenOffice.org 1.0, but I
can't speak to the latest versions of ApplixWare. If you're looking for
general usability for typical word processing, then I'd favor Applix;
it's less sluggish, its user interface is less cluttered, and I just
prefer its overall "feel." Sadly, most of what I do has to be in MS
Word (computer book publishers just don't accept anything else, by and
large, and even OpenOffice.org isn't QUITE good enough on that score
yet).

There are other options, too, like WordPerfect (now pretty well
abandoned, but you can still find copies), KWord, AbiWord, LyX, and
others. These won't do well for document exchange with MS Word, at
least not compared to StarOffice/OpenOffice.org, but if that's not
critically important, any one of them might suit your specific needs.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

Opinions on ApplixWare

Post by s. keeli » Sat, 18 May 2002 14:16:31

> > I would like to get a general concensus about how good (or bad) the ApplixWare
> > Office Suite is.  Currently, the only thing that truly keeps me tied to
> > Windows is MS Office.  Whether you love or hate Microsoft, their office suite
> > is pretty nice and reliable.

> I don't think I'd go so far as to say MS Office is "reliable," and
> "nice" is sort of dependent on that ...  (I've lost too much work to MS
> Office "quirks.")

fwiw, I despise everything from Microsoft.    :-)     Just declaring
my biases.

Applix 5.0 is reasonably reliable.  I often have to deal with
headhunters, who barely know what "Associate File Type" means.
Between Applix Word --> .rtf and Gnumeric --> .html, I'm able to
communicate with the most recalcitrant, RFC abusive, newbie "Huh?".

Quote:> > I know ApplixWare will read and work with
> > various formats (Word 2000, Excel 2000, etc) but does it "butcher" the

Does Word do the same for doc's coming the other way?  Yes.  Applix
5.0 works pretty darn well at communicating with the unwashed, though
you may need to keep some backup alternatives laying around, and be
prepared to explain to the unwashed what to do when your file arrives
and doesn't produce automatic ecstacy ...

Quote:> http://www.rodsbooks.com/axfonts/

Cool.  Back at ya: Tried Opera 6.0 for Linux yet?  :-)  It's slick!