HELP: My master boot record was trashed!!!

HELP: My master boot record was trashed!!!

Post by Jim A. Fette » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I have a dual boot system (dos/linux) and my master boot record
on my hard drive became trashed from a DOS disk (maybe a virus?)
which was left in the computer during startup.  It killed my lilo
prompt (to choose to boot in dos or linux).

I boot into linux from floppy, mount my harddrive and try to type
in "lilo" but lilo won't run says:

open /boot/boot.b file or directory not found

and dies...lilo won't even execute... so i tried deleting the
master boot record in dos with (i think) fdisk /mbr but it didn't
help.

HELP!!!!!

Jim

how to correct this :-)

Post by Frank Gock » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: I have a dual boot system (dos/linux) and my master boot record
: on my hard drive became trashed from a DOS disk (maybe a virus?)
: which was left in the computer during startup.  It killed my lilo
: prompt (to choose to boot in dos or linux).

: I boot into linux from floppy, mount my harddrive and try to type
: in "lilo" but lilo won't run says:

: open /boot/boot.b file or directory not found

: and dies...lilo won't even execute... so i tried deleting the
: master boot record in dos with (i think) fdisk /mbr but it didn't
: help.

: HELP!!!!!

: Jim

: how to correct this :-)

You may have deleted the /boot directory (I did it some time ago because
I didn't know what the files are for - so everything crashed at boot...)

But dos' fdisk /MBR should really work here. I've read somewhere that it's
important to use capitals:

fdisk /MBR
      ^^^^^