NN or NN-style newsreader for Linux w/out local NNTP database??

NN or NN-style newsreader for Linux w/out local NNTP database??

Post by David McMah » Thu, 20 Feb 1997 04:00:00

NN is the fastest most efficient way to get information from newsnet,
IMHO.
I've missed it since my company stopped building its NNTP database. :(

Well, now I'm running LINUX on my machine at home and I was wondering
if NN has changed or if any new command-line news readers with a
similar interface to NN can be accessed via a simple server name
via PPP like most of the other newsreaders(gui) like netscape,
freeagent on win95.

I've looked through the NN man page and it looks the same as it
ever did.
Any other NN lovers out there stuck without an NNTP server can
send me in the right direction?

Please e-mail directly.

Dave McMahon

NN or NN-style newsreader for Linux w/out local NNTP database??

Post by Conrad Sabati » Thu, 20 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Well, now I'm running LINUX on my machine at home and I was wondering
> if NN has changed or if any new command-line news readers with a
> similar interface to NN can be accessed via a simple server name
> via PPP like most of the other newsreaders(gui) like netscape,
> freeagent on win95.

Not sure I follow you.  Every newsreader I know of in existence can read
news via NNTP over a dialup PPP connection.

What are you looking for?

--
Conrad Sabatier         http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads

Post by M. Buchenried » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>NN is the fastest most efficient way to get information from newsnet,
>IMHO.

Agreed :)

Quote:>I've missed it since my company stopped building its NNTP database. :(

Why ? NN can easily be used to read from any remote NNTP server.

Quote:>Well, now I'm running LINUX on my machine at home and I was wondering
>if NN has changed or if any new command-line news readers with a
>similar interface to NN can be accessed via a simple server name
>via PPP like most of the other newsreaders(gui) like netscape,
>freeagent on win95.

PPP is not a news protocol. All those readers use NNTP via
any kind of TCP/IP connection, may it be PPP or Ethernet or whatever.

I'm posting this via NN.

Michael

Portable, adj.:
                          Survives system reboot.

NN or NN-style newsreader for Linux w/out local NNTP database??

Post by Minh Tran-L » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>The question is, can I use "nn" w/out a local or remove NNTP
>database?  Can I tell "nn" to access a "news server" like FreeAgent
>does?

This is easy to do if you have ones of the more recent 'nn' build (e.g 6.5.1).
You just need to set the NNTPSERVER environment before starting nn. For
example if you want to access 'news.3dfx.com' and are using /bin/bash or
/bin/ksh as you shell:

        NNTPSERVER=news.3dfx.com nn

If you use /bin/csh

        setenv NNTPSERVER news.3dfx.com
        nn

The newer version of nn does not use anymore the special database made
by the nnmaster program.  It use the same overview database as the one
used by the freeagent or the netscape news reader.

By the way if you have found a pre-built version of nn-6.5.1 for linux,
let me know. I am just trying to get my new ISP to have it available
for their shell user.

Minh Tran-Le.

Post by David McMah » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>>I've missed it since my company stopped building its NNTP database. :(

>Why ? NN can easily be used to read from any remote NNTP server.

>>Well, now I'm running LINUX on my machine at home and I was wondering
>>if NN has changed or if any new command-line news readers with a
>>similar interface to NN can be accessed via a simple server name
>>via PPP like most of the other newsreaders(gui) like netscape,
>>freeagent on win95.

>PPP is not a news protocol. All those readers use NNTP via
>any kind of TCP/IP connection, may it be PPP or Ethernet or whatever.

I don't fully understand the way I receive news feeds to my machine.
Let me try to explain it the best I can.
Using FreeAgent or Netscape on Win95, I give the tool a "news server"
which it uses to deliver a feed of newsgroups using XYZ protocol to my machine.
It's not a database, just a feed and each time I access something like a new
group or message it has to go and get it on the internet.

Again I don't understand this fully, so bear with me. :)
When I used to use "nn" from work, there was an NNTP database that
contained data locally and was updated regularly.  There was no
"internet" access at session time (that I knew of).

So, if I want to use NN on my linux box at home I presume I have two
choices:

1)  Build a local NNTP database on my machine with selected groups.
     Over my 28.8 modem, no thanks!

2)  Access a remote NNTP database on my provider (company's)
    network.

The trick here, my company no longer builds an NNTP database
for use with NN because everybody is using those ugly slow
GUI newsreaders that say, give me a "news server".

If I put the name of the "news server" I give to FreeAgent and Netscape
in /usr/spool/nn/nntp_server, it doesn't work.  Presumably because
there's no NNTP database on that server.

The question is, can I use "nn" w/out a local or remove NNTP
database?  Can I tell "nn" to access a "news server" like FreeAgent
does?

Pardon my ignorance on this subject.  Please educate me.

dave

Post by Toivo Pedas » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Again I don't understand this fully, so bear with me. :)
>When I used to use "nn" from work, there was an NNTP database that
>contained data locally and was updated regularly.  There was no
>"internet" access at session time (that I knew of).
>So, if I want to use NN on my linux box at home I presume I have two
>choices:
>1)  Build a local NNTP database on my machine with selected groups.
>     Over my 28.8 modem, no thanks!
>2)  Access a remote NNTP database on my provider (company's)
>    network.
>The trick here, my company no longer builds an NNTP database
>for use with NN because everybody is using those ugly slow
>GUI newsreaders that say, give me a "news server".

What you're thinking of is the NN database, NNTP is a protocol for fetching
news via TCP/IP. The NN database has been replaced with the NOV (network
overview) database which is newsreader independent. New version of NN support
this.

You could get NN-TK from ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au/pub/nn/nn-tk and compile it
without
the (*) GUI stuff, it has some features to speed up newsreading over slower
(non ethernet) connections.

--

 University Computing Services,       Phone:  +61 9 380 2605
 University of Western Australia      Fax:    +61 9 380 1380

NN or NN-style newsreader for Linux w/out local NNTP database??

Post by Conrad Sabati » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> So, if I want to use NN on my linux box at home I presume I have two
> choices:

> 1)  Build a local NNTP database on my machine with selected groups.
>      Over my 28.8 modem, no thanks!

Actually, that's not as unfeasible as it seems.  I'm doing exactly that
with leafnode, connecting hourly to my remote news server, fetching the
latest articles and reading them via my own local news server.  I even
subscribe to a few binaries groups.  Download times average only a few
minutes calling in at this frequency (via cron and dial-on-demand PPP).

Something to consider.  Reading news from a local server is *fast*.

--
Conrad Sabatier         http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads

1. nn-newsreader-setup with NNTP (Slackware 1.03)

A few days ago I installed Linux (Slackware 1.03) on my machine and now
I want to use a newsreader; for example nn. Under DOS I use Trumpet and
as I installed it, I just had to call a setup menu, enter my NNTP-host
address (and some related information) and ... here we go. (The
installation of telnet and ftp under Linux was also as simple as I liked
it.)

So I expected to find a setup menu, a configuration file or
configuration program for nn. I read the man pages of nn and nnadmin and
the docs of an nn.xx.plxx.tar.z that I ftp'ed, but I can't find this
simple information. These docs describe the complete installation from
scratch, including some (compared to the trumpet installation) complex
looking configuration details. (Yes, maybe I missed something in the
fm, but I'm just a newbie and to let you say OH NO: up to now, Sa. 21:14
german time, my biological memory contains no information concerning
cron, only something like: must be important, cause it was mentioned in
the nn-section of the news-howto.)

So my question is: Is there a place to write down my NNTP-host address
without compiling the hole nn-package? What must I do to use nn? Should
I put on my leather jacket and say: Hey, this is tough guy Unix, not
whimpy DOS, so every way to setup things easily was carefully avoided.

--- The first thing we learned today was that Ctrl-C

2. majordomo

3. How do I expire local nn database daily ?

4. How to add icons and program group menu for a linux application.

5. Mail to nn.nn@era.ericsson.se

6. how tho change source address of eth0/eth0:1 ?

7. nn newsreader for linux-- does it exist?

8. VPN through FreeBSD firewall

9. NN (nntp) under Linux

10. nn 6.5 NNTP+NOV client only config for Linux ???

11. nn-nntp on Linux?

12. nn for linux with NNTP?

13. NN newsreader in Slackware