Gimp/gtk+/gtk-- upgrades/install problems

Gimp/gtk+/gtk-- upgrades/install problems

Post by Morten Ranhe » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

I'm a satisfied user of RH 5.0 and XWindows. Latetly i've seen that
there is newer versions of the gimp program and the gtk+ library.
Whenever I try to upgrade/install these I get problems in either
running gimp or programs who wan't install because "they can't find
the gtk+(--) libraries"i, or similar.

When I use rpm -Uvh --nodeps (alternative --nodeps --force) it wan't
work. The errors I get is like "can't find blabla.so.1" or something
similar. So what should I do?

The upgrade/install goes for these packages:

gimp-0.99.15-2.i386.rpm
gimp-devel-0.99.15-2.i386.rpm
gtk+-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm
gtk+-devel-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm

Please tell me any alternative method which will work for the usage of
rpms. It sure don't work with --nodeps --force. :(

Regards,
Morten Ranheim

--

Post by Saadiq Rodgers-Ki » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

>I'm a satisfied user of RH 5.0 and XWindows. Latetly i've seen that
>there is newer versions of the gimp program and the gtk+ library.
>Whenever I try to upgrade/install these I get problems in either
>running gimp or programs who wan't install because "they can't find
>the gtk+(--) libraries"i, or similar.

>When I use rpm -Uvh --nodeps (alternative --nodeps --force) it wan't
>work. The errors I get is like "can't find blabla.so.1" or something
>similar. So what should I do?

<SNIP>

First, I would get the latest rpm's from
ftp://s9412a.steinan.ntnu.no/pub/gimp/
I'm not sure which version has trickled into ftp.redhat.com but I'm sure that
this site will have the latest.  Then, to make sure you don't have any
complications uninstall all the previous rpms.
rpm -e gimp
rpm -e gimp-devel
rpm -e gtk+
...you get the point.  After that compile (if you got the src) and install
the gtk rpms, then the gimp.  The only possible problem I can think of is that
the dependencies between the various packages for gtk+ and gimp can demand
that you install them in a certain order.  I think something like gtk+ ->
gkt+-devel -> gimp-libs -> gimp -> gimp-devel should do it.

I think this should work.  Good luck.

--
Saadiq
-=>take NO_JUNK out of the email address to reply<=-

Post by Bob Tenne » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

 >I'm a satisfied user of RH 5.0 and XWindows. Latetly i've seen that
 >there is newer versions of the gimp program and the gtk+ library.
 >Whenever I try to upgrade/install these I get problems in either
 >running gimp or programs who wan't install because "they can't find
 >the gtk+(--) libraries"i, or similar.
 >
 >When I use rpm -Uvh --nodeps (alternative --nodeps --force) it wan't
 >work. The errors I get is like "can't find blabla.so.1" or something
 >similar. So what should I do?
 >
 >The upgrade/install goes for these packages:
 >
 >gimp-0.99.15-2.i386.rpm
 >gimp-devel-0.99.15-2.i386.rpm
 >gtk+-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm
 >gtk+-devel-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm

These packages (as well as various gnome packages) are being
developed at a furious pace.  New packages come out almost
daily.  Check out w3.rufus.org/linux/RPM to track them.  What
this means is that you have to get gtk+, glib, and gimp that
are all built at the same time and are, hopefully, stable,
rather than development builds.  Your gimp package was
built last October and your gtk+ package was built in May.
Between those dates, some of the gtk+ functionality was split
off into a new glib package.

I've successfully installed together

gtk+-1.0.1-2
glib-1.0.1-2
gimp-0.99.26-1

together with associated devel and lib packages.  You could look for
those.  I also suggest you *uninstall* older versions
(ignoring the dependency messages) before installing the
new ones.  I know that upgrading is supposed to work
without doing this but the developers have been moving too fast
to spend the time to get the upgrading scripts right with respect
to *all* previous versions.

Also, get packages from the best sources:  Redhat Labs and
Trond Glomsrod are the names to look for.  The data base
at rufus is invaluable bacause all relevant pieces of information
such as dependencies, build date, and packager are available
before you download anything.

Bob T.

Post by Morten Ranhe » Thu, 14 May 1998 04:00:00

>gtk+-1.0.1-2
>glib-1.0.1-2
>gimp-0.99.26-1

>together with associated devel and lib packages.  You could look for
>those.  I also suggest you *uninstall* older versions
>(ignoring the dependency messages) before installing the
>new ones.  I know that upgrading is supposed to work
>without doing this but the developers have been moving too fast
>to spend the time to get the upgrading scripts right with respect
>to *all* previous versions.

>Also, get packages from the best sources:  Redhat Labs and
>Trond Glomsrod are the names to look for.  The data base
>at rufus is invaluable bacause all relevant pieces of information
>such as dependencies, build date, and packager are available
>before you download anything.

I've done exactly what you said and all is pretty ok, except that gimp
now complains about libpng.so.0. I got both the libpng-0.9.6-8 (i
think) and libpng-1.0.1-1 installed. And libpng.so.0 comes from 0.9.6
version. So what have I done wrong?

After installing gtk+, I can't get control-panel up and running. I got
RH 5.0. Have you experienced this too?

Have you some positive answers for me! :))

Regards,
Morten Ranheim

--

Post by Robert Tenne » Thu, 14 May 1998 04:00:00

 >>gtk+-1.0.1-2
 >>glib-1.0.1-2
 >>gimp-0.99.26-1
 >>
 >I've done exactly what you said and all is pretty ok, except that gimp
 >now complains about libpng.so.0. I got both the libpng-0.9.6-8 (i
 >think) and libpng-1.0.1-1 installed. And libpng.so.0 comes from 0.9.6
 >version. So what have I done wrong?

I'm not at home now but 0.9.6 seems to be the libpng that was
installed with Redhat and rufus doesn't give any source for a
libpng-1.0.1, so I don't know where you got that.  Do

rpm -qf libpng-1.0.1

in the lib directory and it'll tell you which package "owns" it.
You may want to uninstall that package.  Or perhaps the older one!
Who knows?

 >After installing gtk+, I can't get control-panel up and running. I got
 >RH 5.0. Have you experienced this too?

Yes.  You can upgrade to control-panel-3.6-1 from Redhat Labs to get
that working.

Bob T.

Post by Paul Dia » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

> Yes.  You can upgrade to control-panel-3.6-1 from Redhat Labs to get
> that working.

Hmmm... couldn't find the new control-panel on Red Hat Labs' server.  Does
anyone have a location for it?

Paul.

1. GTK themes and gtk upgrade

hello... i had gtk/glib 1.2.1-7 rpms removed them rpm -e --nodeps...
upgraded to 1.2.3 tarballs... all apps work ok... except gtk themes
(0.5-11 gtk-engines rpm)... tried to upgrade from 0.5-11 gtk-engines rpm
to 0.5 tarball... but ./configure says imlib1.8 not installed... rpm -q
imlib reveals imlib 1.9.5...
Why isn't imlib being detected (I also have imlib-devel and
imlibcfgeditor both 1.9.5)?

I had my gtk themes in /usr/share/themes... which are not detected by
the gnome configurator... now I have a new dir /usr/local/share/themes/
(after upgrading gtk).  If I move the themes from /usr/share/ to
/usr/local/share, the themes are detected.  But they wont work... I only
get the colors but not the textures/pixmaps...

Same with ln -s /usr/local/share/themes/ /usr/share/themes

thanks...

2. Debugging a NE2000 card on Linux

3. gimp, gtk, Epson Perf. 2450 scanner install problems

4. Can Linux be on Notebook?

5. Problems compiling Gtk-0.5120 and Gtk-Perl-0.6123

6. Re Getting Apache to do server-side includes locally

7. rpm problems: gtk vs gtk+

8. Non-blocking lock requests during the grace period ===> unlock during grace period?

9. Problem with the gtk+ for the Gimp

10. GIMP/gtk problem: fatal error

11. GTK guru -> program crashes complaining about gtk.......

12. GTK for shell scripts: the gtk-server

13. Missing gtk-config while blding gvim w/ gtk