Motorola VoiceSurfer 28.8 modem?

Post by Brian Olmst » Thu, 25 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

Has anybody gotten a Motorola VoiceSurfer 28.8 modem to work with linux?
I tried to get it to work with a chat/pppd script and it hangs up after
sending a login to the xylogic annex.

This is for a friend not me, as I have it working okay with another ISPs
xylogic annex, but I have a USR 33.6.  This script is basically the same
as what I am using, so I don't get why it hangs up.  Also, the modem takes
*so* long to initialize before deciding to dial.  Could there be an IRQ
problem here?

thanxs, in advance,
regards, Brian

Brian Olmsted, 4th year Honour BSc, Computer Science, Brock U

www.cosc.brocku.ca/~bolmsted

Post by s. keeli » Thu, 25 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Has anybody gotten a Motorola VoiceSurfer 28.8 modem to work with linux?

I've never found a modem that DOESN'T work with Linux, though some
internal modems can be pretty annoying.  However, I am using a Moto
28.8 (external) now, and it works great.

Quote:> I tried to get it to work with a chat/pppd script and it hangs up after
> sending a login to the xylogic annex.

I'd suggest logging into it (the annex) manually with a terminal
program to compare what it's saying to what your chat file thinks it's
saying.

Quote:> as what I am using, so I don't get why it hangs up.  Also, the modem takes
> *so* long to initialize before deciding to dial.  Could there be an IRQ
> problem here?

I don't know how to parse "*so* long", so I don't know what's going
on.  I'm running Debian, and I do "su -c pon" to get it going.
Sometimes (rarely) it doesn't init the connection correctly on the
first try, times out, and a few moments later tries again and
succeeds.

I've got a Moto 28.8 Montana PC Card (PCMCIA) modem on my laptop too,
and I've never had any problems with it either.  I like Motorola modems.

--

                  Contract Programmer; inquire within.

       zcat /usr/doc/timezone/Introduction.gz |*ney | less