ANSI graphics in Linux

Post by John Watso » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to get rxvt/xterm to understand ANSI
graphics under X?

For instance, I would expect character 169 to be box-corner
l-jointed lines.  Instead it is the copyright character.
179 should be a long vertical line, instead it is being
displayed as a small, exponent 3.

Most of the ANSI drawing primitives are showing up as
other symbols and non-english alphabetic characters.

They are displayed correctly (that is, as ANSI graphics
rather than alphanumeric symbols) under the Linux console.

FYI, I am using Redhat 5.1, 2.0.35 kernel, xf86 w/ xfs font
server, rxvt 2.4.7, and generally font lucidasanstypewriter-12.
I have tried several other fonts as well.

Thanks,
JW

--
// John Watson
// Software Engineer         --        STScI Archive Team

ANSI graphics in Linux

Post by j.. » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Does anyone know how to get rxvt/xterm to understand ANSI
>graphics under X?

>For instance, I would expect character 169 to be box-corner
>l-jointed lines.  Instead it is the copyright character.
>179 should be a long vertical line, instead it is being
>displayed as a small, exponent 3.

>Most of the ANSI drawing primitives are showing up as
>other symbols and non-english alphabetic characters.

        Change your font to something that has all of those
        lines and such in the upper half of the character
        set (above the range of standard ASCII).

--
Unix had  startmenus and tasbars before Microsoft          |||
even had a decent memory manager for DOS.                 / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

ANSI graphics in Linux

Post by John Watso » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Ok, I tried every font defined in fonts.alias in the misc,
100dpi, and 75dpi dirs.  I also downloaded and tried the
so-called jmk fonts which I found on freshmeat.net.  They
all use the mapping which I do not want.

This is a heavily used set of characters by most BBS' and
also by the irc client *X.  If you or anyone else knows
of a font that supports these ansi graphics primitives, let
me know.

Thanks,
JW

--
// John Watson
// Software Engineer         --        STScI Archive Team
// Please reply to jwatson0 at home dot com

ANSI graphics in Linux

Post by John Watso » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hmm, I may be a little confused about just what characters
should display these primitives.  In the console they are
in the 169-223 range of the character set.  In all the X
font sets I have tried, this range contains mostly non-english
alphabetics and other miscellaneous symbols.

HOWEVER, when I display the same font in xfd ( x font display),
or xmbdfed ( a font editor I got from
ftp://crl.nmsu.edu/CLR/multiling/General/), I see a smaller set
of the characters I want in the 11-25 range.  Note that when
this font is used in an rxvt, none of these are displayed properly,
and an nxterm displays only 16-25 correctly.  arrrrgh!!

JW

Post by T.E.Dicke » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Hmm, I may be a little confused about just what characters
> should display these primitives.  In the console they are
> in the 169-223 range of the character set.  In all the X
> font sets I have tried, this range contains mostly non-english
> alphabetics and other miscellaneous symbols.

yes.  what you're looking at _is_ "ANSI" (aka ISO-8859-1).
I think you're looking for "OEM" (aka IBM PC characters).

-- I don't know where to find that (sorry).
-- But it helps to know what you're looking for.

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

ANSI graphics in Linux

Post by John Watso » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

OK, I found a font that behaves like I wanted.  It is called
"vga" and is located in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/vga.pcf
on my system.  I mustve missed it in my first search because
there is no listing in fonts.alias for it.  It displays these
OEM graphics as desired.  Thanks.

JW

--

Post by James Youngm » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Ok, I tried every font defined in fonts.alias in the misc,
> 100dpi, and 75dpi dirs.  I also downloaded and tried the
> so-called jmk fonts which I found on freshmeat.net.  They
> all use the mapping which I do not want.

A suitable font comes with DosEmu, ISTR.

--

ANSI graphics in Linux

Post by David M. Co » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Does anyone know how to get rxvt/xterm to understand ANSI
>graphics under X?

Try the fixed fonts (any font with -fixed- in its name.)  Some fixed fonts
with short aliases are 7x14, 9x15, 8x16, 10x20, and 12x24.

Dave Cook

1. SEYON & ANSI-BBS graphics

I know i can use colors with seyon, but is there a way to let seyon display the
correct ibm/dos graphics used in the various BBSs. (Vertical & horizontal lines)

--
DickyDick

ONLY A DICK MAKES IT POSSIBLE

2. A wierd feature - vt100 consoles

3. Ansi chracter graphic.

4. NIS problem

5. Getting Xterm to understand IBM ANSI graphic characters?

6. olvwm on SS-2, solaris 2.3

7. BBS ANSI Graphics and telnet?

8. 2940u2w drivers on 2.5 to 2.7 x86

9. ANSI GRAPHICS

10. ANSI Graphics & TCSH/BSD

11. ansi graphic

12. tcsh with ansi graphics

13. SCO ANSI terminal vs. regular ANSI terminal