Suggest ways to install Linux on 486 CDROM-less system

Suggest ways to install Linux on 486 CDROM-less system

Post by Chua Beng H » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I have got myself RedHat 4.1 from the Infomagic CDROM. I wanted to try it
out on my 486 system, which don't have a CDROM on it. Can anyone suggest any
other way other than to find a CDROM and connect it up for installation??

I heard that by copying some essential files onto my hard disk, I will be
able to install RedHat from them. But how do I know which file to copy??

If you have any suggestion for me, please send me a copy thru email too,
just in case I missed the posting in newsgroup.

TIA.

Suggest ways to install Linux on 486 CDROM-less system

Post by Frank Sweetse » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have got myself RedHat 4.1 from the Infomagic CDROM. I wanted to try it
> out on my 486 system, which don't have a CDROM on it. Can anyone suggest any
> other way other than to find a CDROM and connect it up for installation??

> I heard that by copying some essential files onto my hard disk, I will be
> able to install RedHat from them. But how do I know which file to copy??

Basically, you'll need to copy most of the cd over.  You can skip /SRPMS,
/dosutils, and /misc  The other way, is if you have another machine that
you can network, it will install that way.

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre9 i486       | at public servers
Coach: What's doing, Norm?
Norm:  Well, science is seeking a cure for thirst.  I happen
       to be the guinea pig.
                -- Cheers, Let Me Count the Ways