tar question, a quick one!

Post by Ralf » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

hi folks,

can anyone explain how to restore from tape and their by
overwriting files to the destination partition that are
newer than the ones on tape. When I do tar xf /dev/rft0 /dev/hda2
I keep getting messages saying "File already exists" and the
process skips these files, but I actually want to overwrite what
I have on that partition even if that means loosing some newer files.

please e-mail & thanx lot

Brentwood, California                                Wiesbaden, Germany

1. quick tar question

Sorry to post this, but I've been unable to find a solution even after
reading and rereading over and over again the man page for tar... it's a
little unclear.

Does anyone know what command to use to add files to an archive?  For
example, if I have a file called updates.tar.gz, how would I add *rpm to
this archive?

Regards,

Mladen

2. Review : Evergreen Technologies RumbleFX 3D Sound Amplifier

3. Quick Easy One: Checking for first monday of the month ?

4. Programming C++ on Linux

5. One quick question for all of you losers

6. Memory for 43P-132

7. One quick question...

8. Bash: Variable$Loop=ThisValue?

9. I have a Quick Question, need quick answer.

10. How does one compres files in this .tar.gz .Z and .tar.Z

11. getting a tar file off a tape when you've tar cf'ed first

12. tar/gnu tar question

13. Question: (cd /src;tar cf - *) | (cd /dest;tar xpf -) ?