FIDO Software

Post by Dima Pash » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

                    Hello, All !

    Can you said me what software I must use for connect to FIDO ?
Thank you.

             Good bye!  Dima.

FIDO Software

Post by Father O'Brie » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Can you said me what software I must use for connect to FIDO ?
> Thank you.

What the hell is fido?

FIDO Software

Post by Robert Helle » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

  In a message on Sat, 10 Jul 1999 20:12:59 -0700, wrote :

FO> > Can you said me what software I must use for connect to FIDO ?
FO> > Thank you.
FO>
FO> What the hell is fido?

A network of BBS's (remember BBS's?), that uses dial-up connections.
Originally use XModem as the low-level transport, but modern fidonet
nodes use various (full duplex) successor transport protocols.

I am not sure what Dima is looking to do.  Given that he has a 'point'
address, he is probably looking to a point package for Linux.  There is
a port of BinkleyTerm to Linux, but I am not sure how good it is or how
well it works in a UNIX environment.  Originally BinkleyTerm was meant
to run on a single-tasking MS-DOS box...

There is also a package known as ifmail, but this is mainly meant as a
'native' full node package that interfaces with inn/CNews and
sendmail/smail. It handles both the transport (ifcico) and the
translation between UNIX E-Mail and Usenet news and FidoNet NetMail and
EchoMail (ifnews/ifmail).  It also includes the rest of the utilities
needed -- nodelist processing (FidoNet's 'host table') and TIC
processing (automagically file transfer and exchanging).

I guess it is possible to use the ifmail as a point package, but it
might be more complex than Dima might want to do.

--
                                     \/

http://www.deepsoft.com              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153

FIDO Software

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>>> Can you said me what software I must use for connect to FIDO ?
>>> Thank you.

>Don't they have BinkleyTerm for Linux?  (That brings back memories!)

Yep. http://btxe.uue.org and grab the latest source tree (the beta;
NOT the XR6 source tree). It's Makefile will compile for Linux.

Although, unfortunately it doesn't appear to work for me (syntax errors
in the Makefile).

Perhaps a C programmer can fix it and post the corrected Makefile.

--

Humming along under SuSE Linux 6.0 / OS/2 Warp 4

FIDO Software

Post by tony summerfe » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> >> Can you said me what software I must use for connect to FIDO ?
> >> Thank you.
> Don't they have BinkleyTerm for Linux?  (That brings back memories!)

there's also a golded for linux...

if there were a squish for linux it would be perfect...

--
*--------------------------------------

|remove myspleen to email

*-----------------------

FIDO Software

Post by Siegfried Elsn » Mon, 19 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> >> Can you said me what software I must use for connect to FIDO ?
> >> Thank you.

try dosemu with crosspoint. its one of the best, i guess, and it works fine.

cu, siggi.

1. FIDO software ????

Hey, folks!
I am thinking of the becoming a FIDO point. Is there any software
for Linux that would dial-in, send mail and get news? I am not a
big expert in FIDO and only a necessity forces me to fall into this
business. I looked through the Software Map and found FIDOGATE.
Is this the thing I want? Is there some kind of HOWTO about setting
up a FIDOnet point? I have seen Fido-Point-HOWTO but it is in German
I can't read.

I would really much like to hear from people who are a FIDO point now
and running Linux.

Thanks in advance,

                        Sergei

--
++++++++++++ http://sunsite.oit.unc.edu/sergei/Me/Serge.html ++++++++++

+Department of Physics & Astronomy, UNC-CH, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA+
++++++++++++++++++ !! 8 bit (Cyrillic) mail accepted !!++++++++++++++++

2. not a very dum question for a newbie!

3. ifmail-2.9-tx8.0 - FTN (fido-like) network gateway software

4. NEED HELP ON UNIX

5. ifmail-2.10-tx8.2 - FTN (fido-like) network gateway software

6. Newbie Needs Help with popper

7. ifmail-2.9-tx8.1 - FTN (fido-like) network gateway software

8. Command produces no output if run fom cron.

9. getty & fido

10. Fido Front-end

11. fido in getty?

12. Linux Net [Fido Style]