Newbie question about Y2K compliance

Post by jeff ming » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi All,

        I've been tinkering with RedHat 5.0 and really liking it.  I haven't
been able to find any definitive info about how Linux in general and Red
Hat in particular fare with Year 2000 compliance.  Thanks in advance for
answering what is probably a very elementary matter.

-Jeff

Newbie question about Y2K compliance

Post by Christopher B. Brow » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>    I've been tinkering with RedHat 5.0 and really liking it.  I haven't
>been able to find any definitive info about how Linux in general and Red
>Hat in particular fare with Year 2000 compliance.  Thanks in advance for
>answering what is probably a very elementary matter.

I've collected what links exist at:
<http://www.veryComputer.com/~cbbrowne/linux.html>

See the last "subpage" for the*details.  This gets asked often enough,
and the issues are sufficiently nontrivial, that I won't detail it all yet
again here, but will direct you to more complete resources on the matter.

-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.veryComputer.com/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

Post by Adam C. Emers » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

: Hi All,

:       I've been tinkering with RedHat 5.0 and really liking it.  I haven't
: been able to find any definitive info about how Linux in general and Red
: Hat in particular fare with Year 2000 compliance.  Thanks in advance for
: answering what is probably a very elementary matter.

: -Jeff

Linux is year 2000 compliant.  However, if you have a 32 bit machine,
it is NOT 2038 compliant.  Unices store the time as the number of
seconds since 1/1/1970, and in 1/18/2038 the values will overflow,
causing much trouble for the time is signed.  Apparently, the Unix
authors knew about the problem back in 1971
(http://www.veryComputer.com/).  If you're
running a 64 bit machine, I don't think you'll have to worry
until 292,471,210,647.  By which time, we will, I'm sure, have moved
to 128 bit machines.

--
The * truth of it is, I have no shirt.
                -- William Shakespeare, "Love's Labour's Lost"