Newbie needs advice on Red Hat "Live" CD-ROM, please

Newbie needs advice on Red Hat "Live" CD-ROM, please

Post by tayl » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hello,
        I'm new to Unix, and I don't have the confidence level right now (or
the HD space) to repartition and devote a big chunk of my hard drive
to Linux.
        I have seen the Red Hat "Live" CD-ROM for Unix/DOS advertised for
$17. The CD-ROM claims to be a complete edition of the Red Hat Linux
OS recorded in a "live" file system that lets you run the OS on your
CD-ROM drive without needing to install it on your DOS hard disk. It
says you can save work to floppies, and the disk includes online
documentation, FAQs, etc.
        There are a few reasons I am interested in having some flavor of UNIX
accessible to me:
        1. To help me get around in my shell account and get a feel for the
basic commands.
        2. To allow me to debug/compile some CGI scripts for Web use.
        3. So I can get some hands-on experience with the OS that so many
love/hate.
        It seems to me that the CD-ROM might be a gentle introduction,
although I realize I would be quite limited in how much real work I
could get done.
        Has anyone used/seen this CD-ROM? Does it work? Is it worthwhile for a
newbie? I know it includes Perl  and C, C++.  Am I crazy to think it
will let me debug/compile scripts?
        Thanks for any help and advice.