max number of telnet sessions possible

Post by puz.. » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,

Can someone tell me the maximum number of telnet sessions a linux box
can support at one time please.

Also can you give me an idea of the hardware needs to support this
number of sessions

many thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Christopher Brow » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>Can someone tell me the maximum number of telnet sessions a linux box
>can support at one time please.

>Also can you give me an idea of the hardware needs to support this
>number of sessions

It all depends on:
a) How much hardware there is,
b) What *precisely* is being done in these telnet sessions.

For instance, telnet sessions that are being used to allow users to
spawn GNU Emacs processes are liable to consume rather a lot of memory
resources.

There is no ready generalization here; it's roughly equivalent to
asking the question:

"I want to run MS Windows.  How many windows could I have open at
once, and how much hardware do I need to support that?"

which permits *vast* variations in stats depending on whether those
windows represent:
a) Many instances of Notepad, or
b) Separate instances of MS Access.

--
"Sigh.  I like to think it's just the Linux people who want to be on the
`leading edge' so bad they walk right off the precipice."