Quotas broken on RH 7.2 upgrade to RH Kernel 2.4.20-13.7

Quotas broken on RH 7.2 upgrade to RH Kernel 2.4.20-13.7

Post by John Murtar » Fri, 30 May 2003 01:46:14

Folks,

We have RedHat 7.2 systems (SMP) and the most recent Kernel
Updgrade to 2.4.20-13.7 seems to have caused Quotas to break?
We had delayed the upgrade on a few systems and were able to
isolate it to the kernel upgrade causing the problem, the
system is:

Quote:>quotaon -aug

quotaon: using /export/home/quota.user on /dev/sda5: Invalid argument
quotaon: using /export/home1/quota.user on /dev/sdb1: Invalid argument
quotaon: using /export/home2/quota.user on /dev/sdb3: Invalid argument

Have seen some other posting at RedHat's site, but so far
no solutions.  Does anyone have a fix?
--
                                          John
John Murtari                              Software Workshop Inc.

http://www.thebook.com/

Post by Jean-David Beye » Fri, 30 May 2003 02:27:24

> Folks,

> We have RedHat 7.2 systems (SMP) and the most recent Kernel
> Updgrade to 2.4.20-13.7 seems to have caused Quotas to break?
> We had delayed the upgrade on a few systems and were able to
> isolate it to the kernel upgrade causing the problem, the
> system is:

>>quotaon -aug

> quotaon: using /export/home/quota.user on /dev/sda5: Invalid argument
> quotaon: using /export/home1/quota.user on /dev/sdb1: Invalid argument
> quotaon: using /export/home2/quota.user on /dev/sdb3: Invalid argument

> Have seen some other posting at RedHat's site, but so far
> no solutions.  Does anyone have a fix?

I get the same thing. One symptom is that file quota.user on /var
disappeared, but putting it back, etc., made no difference.

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

Quotas broken on RH 7.2 upgrade to RH Kernel 2.4.20-13.7

Post by A » Sat, 31 May 2003 03:46:44

I get the same thing with a 7.3 system.  I have reverted to the old
kernel.
Are you guys using v2 Quotas (aquota.user)?  I am, and it seems
quotacheck is looking for the old format.. I have compiled in new
quota support and removed old support, so I don't get it.  Does anyone
have a link on Redhat's page to this problem?

Thanks
AJ

> Folks,

> We have RedHat 7.2 systems (SMP) and the most recent Kernel
> Updgrade to 2.4.20-13.7 seems to have caused Quotas to break?
> We had delayed the upgrade on a few systems and were able to
> isolate it to the kernel upgrade causing the problem, the
> system is:

> >quotaon -aug
> quotaon: using /export/home/quota.user on /dev/sda5: Invalid argument
> quotaon: using /export/home1/quota.user on /dev/sdb1: Invalid argument
> quotaon: using /export/home2/quota.user on /dev/sdb3: Invalid argument

> Have seen some other posting at RedHat's site, but so far
> no solutions.  Does anyone have a fix?

1. RH 7.3 kernel upgrade 2.4.20-13.7 kills pcmcia???

Howdy linux.admin folks,

I'm new to the list and semi-new to linux but have been doing admin and software for many years. I have run into a gottcah with a RH kernel upgrade and could use some advice. I did dejanews on the group  but didn't see anything that looked like others are seeing this problem.

I have a  Red Hat 7.3 server with an Orinoco PCMCI bridge card and an Orinoco Gold card in it living in the first slot of an Optiplex GX1 500MTbr+. I use this to get wireless access via an 802.11b antenna to our coop. All this worked and life was grand.

Recently (about two weeks ago) I did my weekly up2date from RH which installed the kernel version 2.4.20-13.7. On reboot I see that it sees pcmcia but it does not enable the device and there are no beeps indicating the card is alive. No lights are seen on the card. Therefore I lose all my network connection. It also seems to have removed/not enabled items like PcmciaBeep. If I revert to the 2.4.18-27.7 kernel then I get the bridge card enabled as a wvlan_cs and get the double beep indicating it sees the installed gold card and I once again have internet access.

Since I have only the paid Basic service RH will not talk to me about this. Evidently the $60 buys you _only_ enhanced access to the up2date service downloads, not any discussion or error reporting if the service savages your machine.

So I now find myself in the situation of never being able to upgrade the kernel which might leave me vulnerable. Has anyone else seen this behavior with this kernel and if so any know work arounds?

Alternatively I could upgrade to V8.x or 9.x but functionality with the specified bridge card and gold card is unknown. Any sources of info on that.

Any help appreciated,

Alan D.

http://www.dunwellguitar.com

2. Slackware won't recognize mitsumi CD-ROM

3. kernel 2.4.20-13.7 update breaks pcmcia redhat 7.3

4. CDROM Problem

5. Q: WLAN support in RH 2.4.18-24 vs. Stock 2.4.20 kernel ?

6. ifconfig strangeness

7. serial line and kernel hang (RH 2.4.20-13.9)

8. Xresource for Pane-sash color?

9. IDE freezes XL-266 (Compaq Red Hat 7.2, 2.4.20 kernel)

10. newbie-How to upgrade from RH 7.2 to RH 7.3?

11. Upgrading from RH7.1 to RH 7.2 without upgrading Kernel

12. Upgrade RH 6.0 to RH 7.2

13. Upgrade Mandrake 7.1 to RH 7.2 - Trouble initializing during quota check