Problems with xdm and Chooser

Post by Chris Gent » Fri, 25 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I posted this to a couple of the X groups and struck out.  Maybe I'll
have better luck here.  I'm trying to kick off xdm and have chooser
give me a list of hosts that I can login to.  I have never been able
to get chooser to come up.  I'm always presented with a login prompt for
my local machine.

I've read all the documentation I can find which is very little, mostly
manpages.  I also found a little info in the Tips-HOWTO but that doesn't
work either.  I would like to hear from anyone who has the chooser
application working.  I'm using Linux 1.2.8 and XFree86 3.1.1.  Pointers
to other documentation would also be helpful.

I have been able to force a login to another machine by putting a
-indirect <hostname> switch in the call to X in the Xservers file.
But still no chooser comes up.

 Chris Gentle                           | Software Engineer

 ---------------------------------------| IFTE Laboratory
 "Though we live in trying times,       | Redstone Arsenal
 we're the ones who have to try" - Rush | Huntsville, Alabama

Post by Mcclou » Fri, 25 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>I posted this to a couple of the X groups and struck out.  Maybe I'll
>have better luck here.  I'm trying to kick off xdm and have chooser
>give me a list of hosts that I can login to.  I have never been able
>to get chooser to come up.  I'm always presented with a login prompt for
>my local machine.

>I've read all the documentation I can find which is very little, mostly
>manpages.  I also found a little info in the Tips-HOWTO but that doesn't
>work either.  I would like to hear from anyone who has the chooser
>application working.  I'm using Linux 1.2.8 and XFree86 3.1.1.  Pointers
>to other documentation would also be helpful.

>I have been able to force a login to another machine by putting a
>-indirect <hostname> switch in the call to X in the Xservers file.
>But still no chooser comes up.

I had the same problem, but the Tips-HOWTO worked for me:

in /etc/inittab set default run level to 6:

#Default runlevel.
id:6:initdefault:

then in rc.6 I have:

#! /bin/sh
#
# rc.6          This file is executed by init(8) when the system is being
#               initialized for run level 6 (which usually means X Windows
#               on LINUX/Pro).
#

#

#

  # Tell the viewers what's going to happen...
  echo "Starting up X Windows V.11 R.6..."

  # Call the "xdm" program.
  #exec /usr/X11/bin/xdm -nodaemon
 /usr/X11/bin/xdm &
 /usr/X11/bin/X -indirect <my ip number> &

  # All done.

Works for me. Good luck

1. xdm to xdm - where is chooser?

I have a few linux boxes each running xdm (with no XServers entries), and
I'm running a local xdm on another system for actual display.

Unfortunately I can't connect to the other servers on the lan, even with
-broadcast (I also tried -indirect and -query, explicitely in XServers) on
the local system. Any reason why the 'chooser' isn't coming up instead of
a local login prompt?

- lv

2. C++ Development

3. Problem with starting chooser via xdm

4. COLA FAQ 2 of 7 16-Nov-2002

5. xdm chooser mode problems

6. zombies and daemon..

7. xdm & chooser Problem

8. Timezone and Timeserver

9. problems with the chooser on xdm

10. chooser/xdm config problem

11. xdm and chooser problem in Redhat7.0

12. Problem Setting up Linux/Xdm/Chooser

13. Problem with xdm chooser